Mander Organ Builders Forum

Rah Organ

contraviolone

I would like to add my congratulations to the Mander Team for the restoration of the RAH organ. This Concert Organ now ranks as one of the finest instruments of its type in the world.

I had a further opportunity to listen to the organ on Monday evening (9 August) with Naji Hakim performaning works by Messiaen and works of his own creation. In the final piece 'In Organo, Chordis et Choro' (2001) Full Organ was finally used with everything of course coupled to Pedal. The effect was interesting, and revealing. There is no doubting the power of the reeds and the upperwork in general, but the pedal bass was overwhelmed (as commented on previously in this forum). Again, this is not meant as a criticism, as I suspect the acoustic and physical shape of the hall prevent perhaps the 'blooming' of the lower wavelengths of the 32s (the Double Ophicleide in particular).

From a technical viewpoint, how could this 'problem' (if acknowledged as such) be overcome?

Guest Geoff McMahon

Mark Wimpress asks: From a technical viewpoint, how could this 'problem' (if acknowledged as such) be overcome?

Only with a new Double Ophicleide 32ft I am afraid. The present one is not of a large scale and is giving all it can.

John Pike Mander