Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

Crumhorns.....pah!

Where is there a single piece of music that needs a Crumhorn?

A decent Cremona or a rich, full-blooded Cromorne perhaps..... but even then

I believe that as a species Crumhorns are (or at the very least have been) seriously over-rated.

=============================

And I thought it was just me who hated the things!

All those lovely neo-classic organs, and barely a Dulzian to be heard: a much nicer "old" sound IMHO.

MM

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

All those lovely neo-classic organs, and barely a Dulzian to be heard: a much nicer "old" sound IMHO.

MM

Then you will be interested (perhaps) to learn that you will hear/play a Dulcimeau in Oxford at St John's in the Autumn.

Best wishes,

N

Then you will be interested (perhaps) to learn that you will hear/play a Dulcimeau in Oxford at St John's in the Autumn.

=======================

I couldn't possibly, with a name like that.

Next thing, I expect you will be asking me to eat raw garlic, wear a beret and drive a Citroen.

MM

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
=======================

I couldn't possibly, with a name like that.

Next thing, I expect you will be asking me to eat raw garlic, wear a beret and drive a Citroen.

MM

Non! No need to go par-dessus bord and become Clouseau mon ami.

Salut!

Nigel Tous-les-manteaux (pas Joseph)

MM

Dulzian - ha!

I laugh at such sounds.

I suppose that if one were to enjoy the sound of a duck with bronchitis trapped in a box, then this type of stop is pleasant, but....

:wacko:

Dulzian - ha!

I laugh at such sounds.

I suppose that if one were to enjoy the sound of a duck with bronchitis trapped in a box, then this type of stop is pleasant, but....

I liked my Dulzian!

But isn't your chamade just a Dulzian on steroids?

Fight! Fight! Fight!

I am tempted to put up a clip of me and pcnd's boss accompanying the Xmas Oratorio as a duet which may well bear out Vox's assertion. However, I shall not. No. I won't.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

I am tempted to put up a clip of me and pcnd's boss accompanying the Xmas Oratorio as a duet which may well bear out Vox's assertion. However, I shall not. No. I won't.

Not while I have my strength....

Otherwise, I shall be forced to post a clip of me playing, in which it sounds regal, stunning and, well, just exciting, really....

:)

:angry:

Not while I have my strength....

Otherwise, I shall be forced to post a clip of me playing, in which it sounds regal, stunning and, well, just exciting, really....

:angry:

That sounds like a challenge if ever I heard one! I shall report back when I've got the CD's out of the car; this gives you a few short hours to muster your forces. Prepare.

(Send them to me by email or on MSN if you like and I'll host them...)

Perhaps even Messing Regal - like New College?

AJJ

That's rather what it sounded like when we were playing it.

Anyone got any chamade recordings they'd care to submit, about a minute long and as vulgar as possible? I was thinking we should have a "Guess the Chamade" contest.

Guest Cynic

Anyone got any chamade recordings they'd care to submit, about a minute long and as vulgar as possible? I was thinking we should have a "Guess the Chamade" contest.

I have one, how do I upload it anywhere, though?

P.

=========================

This from the man who complained about Virgil Fox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:huh:

MM

Can we all do this?

AJJ

Sure.

The CD's what?

:huh:

Perfectly valid and correct use of the apostrophe - use when indicating a plural of a capitalised abbreviation. Current "thinking" says no on this, but, until recently, it was deemed the correct way.

I believe, although I could be wrong, that this form was the "British" form, and the CDs was "American", which, of course, has now taken over.

Sure.

Perfectly valid and correct use of the apostrophe - use when indicating a plural of a capitalised abbreviation. Current "thinking" says no on this, but, until recently, it was deemed the correct way.

I believe, although I could be wrong, that this form was the "British" form, and the CDs was "American", which, of course, has now taken over.

Does anyone else hate this amalgamation of replies that the board now does automagically?

I can find no reference that agrees with you - what's yours? The nearest thing I can find is that Hart's Rules (aka Oxford Guide to Style) allows constructions like 'do's as an alternative to dos for the plurals of words as objects, and a certain recent popular book on punctuation has mistaken this for do's - it would be easy to carry this mistake over to capital abbreviations, I suppose.

Paul