Mander Organ Builders Forum

Looking For Two Organ Pieces By Campra & John Dunstable

Guest Lee Blick

Guest Lee Blick

I am looking for two organ pieces. I have looked on the net for UK music shops and I can't seem to find them anywhere. They are:

CAMPRA - Rigaudon

JOHN DUNSTABLE - Agincourt Hymn

If you know where I can purchase this music or if you have a copy you are willing to sell please let me know here or send me private message. Thanks.

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

Capra Rigaudon - I had to play this for a wedding a few years ago, and had to order from the USA. I'm afraid I haven't got the website, but it was an H W Gray publication, now administered by Warner Bros, from the St Cecelia organ series, arranged by Gustav Ferrari. Price on my copy is $3.95.

Don't know the Dunstable, but the "Agincourt Hymn" appears as a hymn tune in several books. If this is any help and you need a copy PM me your address and I'll post one.

[anorak]

[rant]

Deep in my subconscious this rings a horribly cracked bell.

There is of course no such piece. John Dunstable wrote nothing connected with Agincourt. Nor is there any "hymn" connected with Agincourt (what an Anglican notion this is!) Nor is there any organ music connected with Agincourt.

What we do have is a carol celebrating the event - you can find an edition in the Musica Britannica volume of Medieval carols. I daresay some organist whose taste is as dubious as his musicology has filled this out into Reger-like chords plus double pedal and foisted it on the said Johannes.

Not that you need let that get in the way of a bit of fun. You could always make your own arrangement too.

Though personally I think you'd be better off an arrangement of Walton's version, or, for a genuine, contemporary arrangement of Dunstable, one of those found in the Buxheim Organ Book.

Purely incidentally, for those who like to edit their own music there's a facsimile of one of the sources of the carol here at ff.17v & 18 (click "view all" in the left-hand pane and then select the relevant page; be warned - each image is around 3mb or so); the other source is available at DIAMM.

[/rant]

[/anorak]

Guest Cynic
I am looking for two organ pieces. I have looked on the net for UK music shops and I can't seem to find them anywhere. They are:

CAMPRA - Rigaudon

If you know where I can purchase this music or if you have a copy you are willing to sell please let me know here or send me private message. Thanks.

Dear Lee,

I'd be happy to copy you the Campra - I have this in a version by Virgil Fox which is not available over here and therefore I don't think either of us would be in difficulties with copyright. I also doubt if VF bothered to contact Campra's descendents for permission to make the arrangement. Long-dead composers don't sue!

The Agincourt Hymn: There's a great version by John Weaver (in Variation form), also I think there's one here somewhere by Myron Roberts. The Roberts one may well be out of copyright by now. Did you hear this or has someone requested it? This information would suggest which version needs tracking down. Mind you, I think it is about as likely that Dunstable wrote The Agincourt Hymn as it is that Henry VIII wrote Greensleeves.

BTW I'm glad to see someone else using these columns to find scores. I've done this a number of times and people have been very kind. I think more of this sort of thing should go on.

Guest Lee Blick
Dear Lee,

I'd be happy to copy you the Campra - I have this in a version by Virgil Fox which is not available over here and therefore I don't think either of us would be in difficulties with copyright. I also doubt if VF bothered to contact Campra's descendents for permission to make the arrangement. Long-dead composers don't sue!

The Agincourt Hymn: There's a great version by John Weaver (in Variation form), also I think there's one here somewhere by Myron Roberts. The Roberts one may well be out of copyright by now. Did you hear this or has someone requested it? This information would suggest which version needs tracking down. Mind you, I think it is about as likely that Dunstable wrote The Agincourt Hymn as it is that Henry VIII wrote Greensleeves.

BTW I'm glad to see someone else using these columns to find scores. I've done this a number of times and people have been very kind. I think more of this sort of thing should go on.

Thanks guys for your help. I heard the 'Agincourt Hymn' on "OrganLive" radio, (they play nothing but classical organ music. It's heaven as far as I know)

Cynic, I would appreciate a copy of the Campra. I will be in touch :P

Picking up on Cynic's cue, I have always hunted high and low for the D'Attaignant dances that Gillian Weir plays.

I once heard Gerard Brooks play a matching suite and he suggested that you had to get the original scores out of a good music library and make your own arrangement.

I could possibly find the original dances in the Bodleian, but this is starting to sound like an enormous amount of hard work.

Does anyone know if these dance transcriptions are readily available in a published edition.

Thanks very much !

M

Guest Cynic
Picking up on Cynic's cue, I have always hunted high and low for the D'Attaignant dances that Gillian Weir plays.

I once heard Gerard Brooks play a matching suite and he suggested that you had to get the original scores out of a good music library and make your own arrangement.

I could possibly find the original dances in the Bodleian, but this is starting to sound like an enormous amount of hard work.

Does anyone know if these dance transcriptions are readily available in a published edition.

Thanks very much !

M

They're only chords! I suggest you take this to one of your pupils as an aural exercise!!

Thanks very much !

M

I use a school type version for recorders and just play from the score for a lot of these sorts of pieces. I have a short suite by Praetorius that goes down quite well - not the well known ones though.

AJJ