Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments

Guest Barry Williams

David has actually told us this on another current thread (the one about 4 and 2 foot dulcianas if I recall correctly) and I subsequently saw it mentioned on the St Peter's Bournemouth website.

May I add my own congratulations to those already offered.

Malcolm Kemp

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just learned that a Mr David Hirst BA MA MBA ARCO has been appointed to a senior position in an organ building company in Durham. Can anyone confirm this information please?

Barry Williams

I don't notice any reply to this so I will write one myself.

This is indeed correct as can be seen from the website of the company in question, which is Harrison & Harrison. Follow this link and scroll down a bit. It seems he may well take over running the firm at some point in the future:

http://www.harrison-organs.co.uk/mark.html

Dave

I don't notice any reply to this so I will write one myself.

This is indeed correct as can be seen from the website of the company in question, which is Harrison & Harrison. Follow this link and scroll down a bit. It seems he may well take over running the firm at some point in the future:

http://www.harrison-organs.co.uk/mark.html

Dave

There was a job advert in The Times (I think) sometime ago which advertised the post of Assistant Managing Director at Harrison's, and I am sure (tho' only from memory) that the job spec said that the ultimate aim of the role was to suceed as MD in the future from this new position.

I thought about applying.....only because of my last name!!!

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Per their church website today, Dr David Trendell is to be Director of Music at St Mary's Bourne Street from the end of April. Currently D-of-M at St Bartholmoew the Great, Smithfield, as well lecturer and chapel choir director at King's College London he seems to have something of a high-profile reputation as a choral director. Born in 1964, he was a chorister at Norwich, organ scholar and, later, lecturer at Oxford.

Until his arrival, Richard Hills, the very able assistant (in practice the organist) is holding the fort at Bourne street as Acting D-of-M.

Malcolm

Per their church website today, Dr David Trendell is to be Director of Music at St Mary's Bourne Street from the end of April. Currently D-of-M at St Bartholmoew the Great, Smithfield, as well lecturer and chapel choir director at King's College London he seems to have something of a high-profile reputation as a choral director. Born in 1964, he was a chorister at Norwich, organ scholar and, later, lecturer at Oxford.

Until his arrival, Richard Hills, the very able assistant (in practice the organist) is holding the fort at Bourne street as Acting D-of-M.

Malcolm

What happened to Will Whitehead?

William is teaching at Trinity College of Music and doing lots of freelance work all over the world. He felt he could no longer devote enough time and energy to the church (and that one in particular has lots of sung services). His final services there was on 11th January. Over the last few years I have found him to be a very fine teacher.

The job was advertised in October although I was told of his pending departure as long ago as August.

Malcolm

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know who will be succeeding Dr Spedding at Beverley?

DT

From the Beverley Minster web-site . . .

DIRECTOR OF MUSIC

We are delighted to announce that a new Director of Music has been appointed at Beverley Minster.

Robert Poyser is currently the Director of Music at St Mary's Church, Portsea. As a student at the University of Hull, Robert was an organ scholar here at the Minster, before moving on to York Minster as Organ Scholar and then Chelmsford Cathedral where he was Assistant Director of Music.

Robert is a very talented musician, and will continue the long established heritage of striving for musical excellence in the worship of God here at Beverley Minster.

Robert began his post on the 15th March.

From the Beverley Minster web-site . . .

DIRECTOR OF MUSIC

We are delighted to announce that a new Director of Music has been appointed at Beverley Minster.

Robert Poyser is currently the Director of Music at St Mary's Church, Portsea. As a student at the University of Hull, Robert was an organ scholar here at the Minster, before moving on to York Minster as Organ Scholar and then Chelmsford Cathedral where he was Assistant Director of Music.

Robert is a very talented musician, and will continue the long established heritage of striving for musical excellence in the worship of God here at Beverley Minster.

Robert began his post on the 15th March.

And he gave a fine recital for the opening of the Minster recital series on Easter monday, just a shame there was a problem with the organ half way through, but it was sorted.

(maybe Cynic knows exactly what it was causing the "problem")

peter

Guest Cynic
And he gave a fine recital for the opening of the Minster recital series on Easter monday, just a shame there was a problem with the organ half way through, but it was sorted.

(maybe Cynic knows exactly what it was causing the "problem")

peter

We were all told that this was one in a series of problems caused recently by a faulty humidifier.

Specifically, it was a single note cypher on the Swell; muck on the pallet or accumulated grot on the pulldown wire would be my best bets.

Yes, it was an excellent recital, the best two items IMHO came after the recital had resumed - viz complete Widor 6 and an improvisation con bravura! Robert took as his theme Thine be the Glory, celebrating Handel Week and Easter simultaneously.

We were all told that this was one in a series of problems caused recently by a faulty humidifier.

Specifically, it was a single note cypher on the Swell; muck on the pallet or accumulated grot on the pulldown wire would be my best bets.

Yes, it was an excellent recital, the best two items IMHO came after the recital had resumed - viz complete Widor 6 and an improvisation con bravura! Robert took as his theme Thine be the Glory, celebrating Handel Week and Easter simultaneously.

Thank you,

and as you so rightly mention, the impro was really good, a real highlight to the evening, as was the Widor

Peter

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I may be wrong but I don't think I saw any mention of Andrew Gant in the on-line Radio Times entry for Choral Evensong from St James's Place last week. If I remember rightly, I think it said Huw Williams was conducting and someone else playing.

Perhaps AG is on a sabbatical? They seem to be very fashionable.

Malcolm

I may be wrong but I don't think I saw any mention of Andrew Gant in the on-line Radio Times entry for Choral Evensong from St James's Place last week. If I remember rightly, I think it said Huw Williams was conducting and someone else playing.

Perhaps AG is on a sabbatical? They seem to be very fashionable.

Malcolm

CE Chapel Royal, St James's Palace 18.11.09

Organ Voluntary: Praeludium in G minor BuxWV149 (Buxtehude)

Organist: Ashok Gupta

Director of the choir: Huw Williams