Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

I thought this might be of interest. It is the organ of Holy Trinity Cathedral, Lepāja, Latvia (IVP / 131) and was once the largest organ in the world up until 1912. Original organ by Heinrich Contius (1779, from which the original action and windchests survive) with further work in 1885 by Barnim Grüneburg. 

The organ was under restoration when this was recorded so it doesn't sound entirely right but some interesting stuff here as shown by Jonathan Scott. It remains "the largest fully mechanical pipe organ in the operation of all aspects of the instrument including all actions and the operation of all stops." (YouTube description). I like the harmonium bit....!

HTIOI,
Dave

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two from St. Stephen's Cathedral, Vienna.
Choir Organ: Rieger Orgelbau (1991) - 4 manuals, 55 stops
Main organ: Rieger Orgelbau (2017-2020) - 5 manuals, 130 stops
Both playable from one console (Rieger, 2017-2020) - 5 manuals, 185 stops

Olivier Latry (09th October 2020):

Ernst Wally (organist at the time if I understand the clip's description correctly) with Widor's Toccata after the dedication mass of 04th October 2020:

Sounds really good!
Dave

• 2 months later...

A bit of clicking and creaking console and bench noise, but that vanishes after a while and I thought (over headphones) this is a very clean, immediate and magnificent performance of the Elgar Sonata. I mention cleanness because it's not the first thing you think of when hearing recordings from Liverpool. Very nicely done!

Thank you posting that video from Liverpool. It's a wonderful performance of a piece that's not recognised as it should be. The sound of the Willis reeds at the end.... wow!

I played it through the fairly decent system in my study causing a complaint from downstairs where my wife was trying to practise relaxation yoga...ooops!

Beautifully performed with just the right tempi for the building.

The restored Magna has a cameo role at the end - and what an impact it makes! But even more remarkable than the sheer decibels is the brilliance of tone.

It's hard to believe that it's the same stop! 

• 3 months later...

Recently many videos have appeared by Paul Fey. He is a 25 year old German organist who speaks excellent English. He travels widely, has access to many important instruments and fills some gaps using Hauptwerk. Most of the videos  are demos of stops and registrations. He seems to have a good understanding of the possibilities of each instrument and knows exactly what he wants next and how to find it.

15 hours ago, davidh said:

Recently many videos have appeared by Paul Fey. He is a 25 year old German organist who speaks excellent English. He travels widely, has access to many important instruments and fills some gaps using Hauptwerk. Most of the videos  are demos of stops and registrations. He seems to have a good understanding of the possibilities of each instrument and knows exactly what he wants next and how to find it.

Been following him for a while, he is very talented, both as a player (on real organs as well as Hauptwerk) and as a composer

Back to Liverpool and the Elgar... a delightfully spacious, elegant and masterful performance in every way... and I've only focused on the first movement for now. Beautiful use of the organ, showing just how a large organ can be used to great effect. I couldn't help feeling what an extra dimension those swell box dials are for the performer.  I'm not 'there' with my iPad yet!!

On 28/08/2023 at 15:55, davidh said:

I agree, and (presumably) so do 26k other subscribers.  His video of the 'Bach organ' at Arnstadt was particularly interesting in view of its rather singular disposition compared to contemporary organs further north with their complete vertical chorus work and relatively few unison stops.  The opposite was true at Arnstadt - incomplete (gappy) chorus work but far more choice of 'horizontal' colour at unison pitch, showing the emergence of a distinctly Thuringian type of instrument.  See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpNaouE6KZo

I don't know whether he has also demonstrated a VPO version, though a sample set exists.  However bear in mind that the current pipe organ, from which the samples were taken, is a modern (c. 2000) reconstruction in which 75% of the pipework is completely new.  So it's impossible to say how close the organ sounds in comparison with the original which was largely lost c. 1860 if not before.

7 hours ago, Colin Pykett said:

a modern (c. 2000) reconstruction in which 75% of the pipework is completely new.

Ten of the 21 stops have "over 50% of original material" according to Wolff & Zepf "The Organs of J.S.Bach" (2012).  No reeds and no pedal stops, though.  With four of the missing stops being pedal, that says that something over 50% of the pipes are original, not a mere 25%.  Five other stops are modelled on a single surviving pipe, which means that at least the general style and scale should be in the ballpark.  The pedal stops and manual reed are modelled on examples from the same builder or his contemporaries.

Paul 

15 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Ten of the 21 stops have "over 50% of original material" according to Wolff & Zepf "The Organs of J.S.Bach" (2012).  No reeds and no pedal stops, though.  With four of the missing stops being pedal, that says that something over 50% of the pipes are original, not a mere 25%.  Five other stops are modelled on a single surviving pipe, which means that at least the general style and scale should be in the ballpark.  The pedal stops and manual reed are modelled on examples from the same builder or his contemporaries.

Paul 

That's at odds with what the builders of the new instrument (then known as Orgelbau Otto Hoffmann) themselves said in publications which they issued at the time, authored in collaboration with the then Director of Music at Arnstadt, the late Gottfried Preller.  According to this 'from-the horse's-mouth' material, the original pipes which they managed to recover had previously been incorporated in a romantic tubular pneumatic instrument as a few so-called 'Bach Registers'.  My versions of these publications are in hard copy form, supplied to me personally from the organ builders who were extremely helpful, but originally in German which I translated myself.  Being more specific, the total number of pipes in the instrument ('pfeifen insgesamt' in my sources) was quoted as 1252 of which 320 were said to be original ('originalpfeifen').  Presumably Orgelbau Hoffmann knew exactly how many new pipes they had had to procure for the contract, so it's difficult to see that the figures can be disputed.

What sources did Wollf & Zepf quote?

The ones that postdate the restoration are:

Hoffmann, Horst. 1999. Zwei Bach-Orgeln. Orgel International 3: 478-483.

Preller, Gottfried. 2002. Die Orgeln der Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Kirche zu Arnstadt.  In Perspectives on Organ Playing and Musical Interpretation: Pedagogical, Historical, and Instrumental Studies: A Festschrift for Heinrich Fleischer at 90, ed Ames Anderson et al., 138-46. New Ulm, Minn.: Graphic Arts, Martin Luther College.

In other words, the same people as your sources...  A possible interpretation of the difference (with no further information) is that over 50% of pipes existed for those stops, but half of them were not restorable, and this was lost in the translation of my book.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

An interesting 'behind the scenes' video of Anna Lapwood and the organ curator delving into the interior of the Royal Albert Hall organ. Impressive to see the two Great divisions, and the unenclosed reeds of both the Great and Bombard tubas. 

The organ does appear to be very dusty though. Obviously not cleaned since the rebuild of 2002-04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq0s17bzdLI

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/10/2023 at 21:49, contraviolone said:

An interesting 'behind the scenes' video of Anna Lapwood and the organ curator delving into the interior of the Royal Albert Hall organ. Impressive to see the two Great divisions, and the unenclosed reeds of both the Great and Bombard tubas. 

The organ does appear to be very dusty though. Obviously not cleaned since the rebuild of 2002-04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq0s17bzdLI

This was really interesting, contraviolone, thank you. I was thrown by the exit at the end - from organ chamber to bar!

Here's the fruit of my evening's listening: an intimate and lovely collection of some Byrd on piano, harpsichord and organ from the Chapel and antechapel of New College Oxford, courtesy of Dónal McCann and Robert Quinney. They also sing, briefly. I will likely never have the privilege of spending time in such circles, but I'm very glad indeed YouTube is here to help!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's an organ I would very much like to spend some time playing if the chance ever arose. St. Elizabeth, Wroclaw (Poland), built by Klais (Bonn, DE) / Thomas (Stavelot, BE) / Zych (Wolomin, PL) 2019-2022 as a replica, in all ways except the blowing mechanism, of the Michael Engler organ (1752-1760) which was worked on and somewhat altered before being entirely destroyed by fire on 09-Jul-1976 leaving absolutely nothing.

This photo, taken after the fire of 1976, shows just how complete the destruction of the previous organ was:
https://polska-org.pl/9069037,foto.html?idEntity=546812

This video is an improvisation (of what piece I don't know) played by Hubert Trojanek.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...