Mander Organ Builders Forum

Youtube

Justadad

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did enjoy those - thank you. I have an organist's surplice but the chap in the first clip surely needs the equivalent jacket for his suit - what a stretch to the music desk. I did like his last verse harmonisation but have always loved a good meaty final verse alternative. It sems to have lost favour in this country. The turntable and lowering the console into a pit made me roar - a bit too much like a crematorium for some maybe...

2 hours ago, handsoff said:

I did enjoy those - thank you. I have an organist's surplice but the chap in the first clip surely needs the equivalent jacket for his suit - what a stretch to the music desk. I did like his last verse harmonisation but have always loved a good meaty final verse alternative. It sems to have lost favour in this country. The turntable and lowering the console into a pit made me roar - a bit too much like a crematorium for some maybe...

And in E flat too - much more satisfactory than in D - but I thought the re-harmonisation in the first clip was awful and anything but uplifting. Yes, there was a phase of organists providing an alternative harmony for a last verse but it was so often, like the first clip, so badly done that it fell out of favour. And some tunes don't need it because of their strong harmonic sense. 

In his edition of English Hymnal Vaughan Williams relegated the tune to, what he called his, 'Chamber of Horrors - where is appears in E. I'm not sure I agree about it deserving that accolade!

Apologies if this channel had been posted before - it is currently the organ channel presented in my feed by the mysterious algorithm. This player is all about the unknown composers - my jury is out as to whether some of them should remain unknown but Hugo Kaun seems worthy of further exploration. 

Hugo Kaun is an interesting man and quite a prolific composer. Born in Germany he emigrated to the US where he had a successful career, eventually, settling back in his home country. He was much in demand as a teacher but produced three symphonies, three piano concerti (although he refused to allow the first to be published), quite an amount of chamber music including four string quartets and four operas, one of which was premiered by the Dresden opera company. His 'Five 'cello pieces' Op. 124 have some difficult moments in them and bear some similarities to the 'cello works of Franz Schmidt, of whom, of course, he was a contemporary. 

Some of his music is available via IMSLP

Here's a pleasing example of an organist taking a chance and populating the programme with several heavy hitters of the organ repertoire all at once. I rather enjoyed this recital for that respect of the audience's capacity in itself (and noted with interest, and a grin, the view of the very capacious and heavy-looking leather sofa in the loft towards the end). I've never heard the instrument in person, mind, so I've no sense of how this would sound in the building but it's good through headphones!

10 hours ago, peterdoughty said:

This is a tremendous recital beautifully captured with multi-camera video. The Rieger organ sounds beautiful and entirely appropriate for all the repertoire from Bach to Reubke under the musical hands, feet and ears of Richard Moore who registers everything with imagination and authority.