Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Edington Festival

deadsheepstew

In case you're sadly unaware - choristers from all over UK form in medium sized but gorgeous priory church in Wiltshire, form three choirs and perform all daily offices for a week, four services a day every day. Weds evensong is broadcast. This year also a lunchtime recital series on very big exciting Bevington just up the road. Come!

In case you're sadly unaware - choristers from all over UK form in medium sized but gorgeous priory church in Wiltshire, form three choirs and perform all daily offices for a week,  four services a day every day.  Weds evensong is broadcast.  This year also a lunchtime recital series on very big exciting Bevington just up the road.  Come!

Westbury I presume - who's playing & when please?

AJJ

Matthew Martin, Robert Fielding, Henry Parkes, David Coram, Peter Barley.  Every weekday lunchtime at Westbury I think.

Too far for me to go from Birmingham and I havent the time. In any case it's a poor Organ. I am surprised a that nothing in the way of plans have been draw up to provide the Priory Church with a instrument that tonally develops well into the body of the building and has some guts in it. I have heard this Organ before on brodcasts and to me it just does not have the tonal range and power to support lusty singing especially Contemporary repertoire.

Edington's a dreadful IIP Henry Jones with obligatory 1970's unbroken 19.22 Mixture over soft choruswork. Always amazes me how people make it sound wonderful. Filsell used to do an amazing job, as did Stevie Farr and more recently Matthew Martin. The resident organist is mega protective and doesn't see anything wrong with it at all. Westbury where the recitals are is astoundingly wonderful IIIP Bevington with lovely pedal department. Surprised the music is less important than the organ - one is there to serve the other, after all...