Mander Organ Builders Forum

Leighton - Toccata On Hannover

abennett

Hi,

I really like this piece and am thinking about putting it into a recital programme along with a Bach Preude + Fugue, some Messiaen, a Franck Choral and possibly some more Leighton. Just wondered what people thoughts on this piece are and whether they think it suitable recital material. Also how hard is this piece? Does it it into the ABRSM Grade structure?

Thanks Andy

Hi,

I really like this piece and am thinking about putting it into a recital programme along with a Bach Preude + Fugue, some Messiaen, a Franck Choral and possibly some more Leighton. Just wondered what people thoughts on this piece are and whether they think it suitable recital material. Also how hard is this piece? Does it it into the ABRSM Grade structure?

Thanks Andy

I learnt this for ARCO a few years ago. It is tricky mainly due to the speed and has some poly rhythmic bits which you just have to learn each line, shut your eyes and hope for the best. But yes, it is definitely worth it.

Andy (There's a lot of us about)

I learnt this for ARCO a few years ago. It is tricky mainly due to the speed and has some poly rhythmic bits which you just have to learn each line, shut your eyes and hope for the best. But yes, it is definitely worth it.

Andy (There's a lot of us about)

I think its woth playing the whole hymn tune suite. It rarely features in recitals these days which is a shame. Both Lumetto and Veni Emmanuel are good. I last heard it played as a suite by John Langdon at Dunfermline Abbey in the early eighties in the prescence of the composer.

Recently, at Westminster Cathedral, I heard Oliver Brett and Matthew Martin play KL's duet on 'Martyrs'. An example of KL's ability to create something exciting out of what is austere material.

I think its woth playing the whole hymn tune suite. It rarely features in recitals these days which is a shame. Both Lumetto and Veni Emmanuel are good. I last heard it played as a suite by John Langdon at Dunfermline Abbey in the early eighties in the prescence of the composer.

Recently, at Westminster Cathedral, I heard Oliver Brett and Matthew Martin play KL's duet on 'Martyrs'. An example of KL's ability to create something exciting out of what is austere material.

Veni Emmanuel is excellent. I played it as a voluntary before Midnight Mass a year or two ago and it prompted an enthusiastic response.