43 replies to this topic

#41 wolsey

wolsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

I find it an incredible coincidence that someone else is enquiring about a 'best' edition for a Widor movement - albeit it a different one to the one I'm after (Symphony No. 2 - Finale) - having spent a few hours last night and this morning investigating the very same thing. It is clear from Fiffaro's post (26) above and from what I've researched online that the most reliable edition is John Near's (A-R Editions), and purchasing the acclaimed scholarship direct from the publisher - including international postage and packing - is slightly cheaper than buying a French edition.

#42 Ron Bayfield

Ron Bayfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

There is a manuals only version arranged by Christopher Tambling in "Essential wedding music for manuals" published by Kevin Mayhew. It won't deceive any organist who knows the real thing but is quite effective if asked to play it (as I was) on an organ with no pedals.

#43 wolsey

wolsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

If anyone is wanting to purchase what is probably the most reliable edition (John Near) of Widor organ symphonies, they should do so here by 15th January. There is a discount of up to 35% on online orders.

#44 wolsey

wolsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

A-R editions are repeating a discount offer (this time 20%) on the authoritative John Near edition of Widor's organ symphonies. it is available until 31 March.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users