Mander Organ Builders Forum

Elgar Imperial March

abennett

Guest Cynic
Hi,

I am thinking of learning this piece. Does anyone play it? How hard is it?

Thanks

Andy

Go for it. One hesitates to label anything as per ARCO, FRCO because there are so often anomalies in their lists. It would be easier to say Grade7/8 Associated Board. The hardest (for me) was a bit of the pedalling; like anything else, if approached methodically with a 2B pencil, this is a perfectly practical item. I assume you're using the George Martin arrangement as published in either an OUP or Novello Elgar Album. Worth learning? Emphatically yes.

Elgar-wise, it's easier than the Lemare arrangement of 'Land of Hope and Glory' and easier (far easier) than the final movement of Sonata in G.

Seen this question on the other board - by historical accident my 2 IDs are not the same (though both refer to Bach !)

When I played the first 2 pages after a service before Christmas the final hymn had been Lord enthroned in heavenly splendour with music by I presume the same G Martin as did the Elgar arrangement.

Seen this question on the other board - by historical accident my 2 IDs are not the same (though both refer to Bach !)

When I played the first 2 pages after a service before Christmas the final hymn had been Lord enthroned in heavenly splendour with music by I presume the same G Martin as did the Elgar arrangement.

There is a splendid and very exciting performance of this piece on a fairly new CD entitled "Edwardian Splendour" featuring William Whitehead on the organ in St Mary's Bourne Street. Very highly recommended. I also have an older recording by Christopher Herrick. I don't find this a particularly difficult piece technically but it does need to have rhythmic vitality.

Malcolm Kemp

I have a superb version of the Elgar Sonata performed by Thomas Murray (someone mentioned it earlier) on a large Hook organ in the US ( a Jesuite church - Boston? I am at work so can't check.) - the interpretation is fantastic and the sound of the organ gives the whole thing a lightness I have not come across before.

AJJ

Guest Barry Williams
Hi,

I am thinking of learning this piece. Does anyone play it? How hard is it?

Thanks

Andy

There are a number of obvious misprints in the Novello edition of the Martin arrangement. Reference has been made elsewhere on this Board to the the several notes that need altering.

It is not at all difficult to play, but care must be taken to ensure that the three semi-quavers preceded by a semi-quaver rest do not sound as triplets, as they do in certain recordings!

Barry Williams

Indeed, and not to be confused with the 'younger' Sir George Martin who produced Beatles' records... B)