Mander Organ Builders Forum

Fj

Henry Willis

I was informed earlier today that Dr. Jackson has had a fall: he is to undergo an operation in York General Hospital, tomorrow, for a broken Femur.

I hope that I reflect the wishes of all on this list in wishing him a speedy recovery and return to the northern recitals circuit!

David Wyld.

Guest Cynic
I was informed earlier today that Dr. Jackson has had a fall: he is to undergo an operation in York General Hospital, tomorrow, for a broken Femur.

I hope that I reflect the wishes of all on this list in wishing him a speedy recovery and return to the northern recitals circuit!

David Wyld.

Most certainly.

Yes, and hopefully he is aware of how highly he is held in regard by members of this list amongst others in the profession.

I would add my name to these; would it be possible somehow for the forum as a whole to send him a greeting message wishing him a speedy recovery (and return to the console)?

Peter

What an excellent idea! I have admired this man for very many years.

Please include my best wishes!

John

If any Board member has up-to-date news of Dr Jackson's progress I am sure we would all like to read it, please.

Malcolm Kemp

Dr Jackson is in good spirits and making steady progress. It sounds as though "slow and steady" is the best way it should be for healing of the fracture, at this stage. I understand he was naturally very disappointed to have to cancel several recitals including the premiere of Fantasy & Fugue on 'Clerkenwell' - at Clerkenwell and a recital at Sheffield, but hopes to play at the Minster in August, which will clearly be a great 'spur to recovery! :)

Without doubt the good wishes and affection which abound, and have been voiced in these channels have reached him.

Best Wishes

Philip Lowe

Dr Jackson is in good spirits and making steady progress. It sounds as though "slow and steady" is the best way it should be for healing of the fracture, at this stage. I understand he was naturally very disappointed to have to cancel several recitals including the premiere of Fantasy & Fugue on 'Clerkenwell' - at Clerkenwell and a recital at Sheffield, but hopes to play at the Minster in August, which will clearly be a great 'spur to recovery! :)

Without doubt the good wishes and affection which abound, and have been voiced in these channels have reached him.

Best Wishes

Philip Lowe

=========================

Excellent news indeed.

MM

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I thought you might appreciate an update regarding "FJ". He is now out of hospital and making a slow but steady recovery. He has every intention of giving the annual minster recital on August 16th, but I suppose we will have to see.

In his own words, he achieved two "firsts", yesterday evening: the first being present at a farewell concert for his successor Philip Moore - a splendid occasion given by the gentlemen of the Minster choir accompanied by Richard McVeigh and conducted by Lee Dunleavy - as he said, Noble nor Bairstow were present in a similar capacity for their successor, and he hoped this would start a precedent! The second achievement was named as being his "first public appearance in the capacity of "Old Crock"! arriving in a wheelchair & using a frame. He was greeted with much warmth and applause, and I'm sure we wish him all the best, as also to Philip Moore for happy years ahead. FJ's wife says he tires very easily, but it was tremendous to see him ( performing Gershwin's Promenade "Walking the Dog" with considerable aplomb.)

Best Wishes

Philip

A bit late to do so, but I would also like to pass on my good wishes to FJ for a speedy recovery. It is good to know that he is held in such esteem at York Minster, judging by the greeting from the other night.

I hope to get a chance to hear him play ASAP but living in Bristol does not make such things very easy.

Dave

• 1 month later...
We haven't heard anythingof FJ recently but I think his Minster recital was supposed to be yesterday. Any news, please?

Malcolm Kemp

I'd be interested to know, too.

I was hoping to go, but my wife had made other domestic arrangements, and you don't argue with wives especially if they have been tolerant enough to accompany you to Cologne specifically for an organ recital.

John

We haven't heard anythingof FJ recently but I think his Minster recital was supposed to be yesterday. Any news, please?

Malcolm Kemp

Thanks for asking Malcolm... I'm sure I can't have been the only one who was present to see and hear Francis Jacksons recital in York Minster yesterday evening..

Canon Webster introduced the.recital by saying that this year has been a very full and busy one for Francis and his family.!

"His (and Mrs J's) 90th birthdays, his receiving the CBE,…… and Dr. J has also acquired a new hip joint..! Please will you welcome our Organist Emeritus and Medical Miracle Dr F.J. ..."

The applause was longer than most get after the recital.

I think the thing to say was that he got through the programme which considering he had only returned to the organ stool a fortnight before is in itself an achievement.

Yes of course there were odd slips here and there, Yes he did struggle with the impromptu, the tempos were on the whole very steady. However I wasn’t aware of problems for example with those hazardous pedal passages later in the Bach Prelude. For me the characteristic magic and imagination which make his musc-making special shone through. It was absorbing listening. A spring freshness in the Bach chorale Prelude, the drama of his 2nd Sonata, some marvellous heavenly registrations (flutes and strings) and a pointer to a source of his own extemporizations in the Ravel. A marvellous climax in the Durufle, though the sequencer caught him out on the last chord which should have been FFF+

The years are certainly telling and he looks quite frail - but having come down from the loft console before the last piece and played the St Anne Fugue on the Nave console, which as it should thundered away at its conclusion, then declined to use his stick and with great dignity walked unaided into the Quire to take his bow.

I'm sure you can imagine the rest. .......He patiently spoke to everyone who wished to afterwards.

Prelude in Eb BWV 552 - Bach

Chorale Prelude "Ach bleib bei uns, Herr Jesu ... JSB

Impromptu for FJ on his 70th - Moore

Sonata Giocosa - Op. 42 - Jackson

Prel & Fuge on the name of Alain Op. 7 - Durufle

Pavane pour une infante - Ravel

Fugue in Eb BWV 552 (St Anne) - Bach

There were over two hundred people present.

An amazing recovery - An amazing Gentleman, very moving – well at least I thought so! :P

Best Wishes

Phil

Indeed, thanks for the update and report of the recital. What a shining example he is to the rest of us, both as a musician and as a person. And I bet he's better at getting the spelling right on a computer keyboard than a lot of us - myself included!!!

Malcolm Kemp

The applause was longer than most get after the recital.

Good. It should be. I heard a recording of him playing Cocker's "Tuba Tune" on the organ of York. Great sounding instrument.

I think the thing to say was that he got through the programme which considering he had only returned to the organ stool a fortnight before is in itself an achievement.

[........]

The years are certainly telling and he looks quite frail - but having come down from the loft console before the last piece and played the St Anne Fugue on the Nave console, which as it should thundered away at its conclusion, then declined to use his stick and with great dignity walked unaided into the Quire to take his bow.

Good to know he is back on his feet so quickly.

Prelude in Eb BWV 552 - Bach

Chorale Prelude "Ach bleib bei uns, Herr Jesu ... JSB

Impromptu for FJ on his 70th - Moore

Sonata Giocosa - Op. 42 - Jackson

Prel & Fuge on the name of Alain Op. 7 - Durufle

Pavane pour une infante - Ravel

Fugue in Eb BWV 552 (St Anne) - Bach

There were over two hundred people present.

An amazing recovery - An amazing Gentleman, very moving – well at least I thought so! :P

Some thoughts on that programme:

- I am supprised that the St. Anne (BWV552) was split into two like that.

- The Ravel must have been interesting. I am also into electronic music and have a version of that piece on vinyl.

- Also a good choice, by the sound of it, to hear something by FJ himself and also the person who succeeded him.

Sounds like a great turnout as well.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
I am supprised that the St. Anne (BWV552) was split into two like that.

But that is exactly how Bach himself "programmed" them when he printed them as the first and last movements of Clavierübung III. There they are separated by a load of chorale preludes and 4 duets.