144 replies to this topic

#141 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:23 PM

I wonder if they meant as in E-Type Jag or on a scale of A-E!

With regard to acoustics, Harrisons' could be wizards at getting a fine sound in dead acoustics.  Leeds Parish Church is pretty dead, and All Saints, Margaret Street isn't exactly Notre Dame.  I remember, when I took Belfast Cathedral Choir to York, finding the acoustics in the Quire depressingly difficult - and our building was the same width and height as York with an equally wide gap between Can and Dec.

#142 MusingMuso

MusingMuso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:55 PM

The musicality of the Leeds PC organ never fails to impress. 

I remember it well when it was pure H & H, and it sounded much like any other H & H of the period, but in the deadest of acoustics. Then changes started to occur as fashion moved away from the Edwardian ideal. It is remarkable, that over the years, this organ has changed quite a lot, but it has never lost the remarkable musicality of the original.

There is no doubt about it, but that the Leeds organ is a triumph of the voicer's art over acoustics.

The following extract is from the Leeds PC website:-

" Much of the voicing was in the skilled hands of long-serving Parish Church Lay Clerk and Principal Tenor Brian Wilson (1928-2010), whose skill in integrating the new pipework with the old has been universally admired."

#143 SL

SL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

............................. I remember, when I took Belfast Cathedral Choir to York, finding the acoustics in the Quire depressingly difficult - and our building was the same width and height as York with an equally wide gap between Can and Dec.

Yes, I know what you mean! I took a very experienced choir to York and had similar experiences. We found the distance between Dec and Can really difficult to cope with. On top of that I had, foolishly, scheduled Bryan Kelly's Mag and Nunc for Magdalen College Oxford, not the setting in C, together with some Palestrina. The rehearsal was the stuff that nightmares are made of - but they pulled it off in the end!! I learned a lot from that experience!

Someone, somewhere else on here, mentioned the acoustic of the Metropolitan Cathedral in Liverpool. I conducted in there a lot and, actually, found it remarkably easy - once you got used to it!

Sorry to hijack the Tuba thread!

SL (late of Kings College, Cambridge)

#144 DaveHarries

DaveHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

This clip is worth a listen. I presume that the loud reeds heard at 4:45 into the clip are Tubas and they seem to be good for trying to quieten noisy tourists (!) from their location which is, I believe, above the west door seen in that part of the clip. Anyone know what the wind pressure is on them?

Dave

#145 John Robinson

John Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Location:I am a missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

Yes, I've watched that video before and, yes, they do shut them up, don't they?  :lol:

And then they applaud!

In answer to your question, I have read that they are on either 40" (1000mm actually) or 28" WG.  Who knows which?

Incidentally, I have been informed that one of the two is like a 'dark' Willis and the other like a 'bright' Skinner.  I have been unsuccessful, though, in determining which one is which!  I don't suppose anyone knows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users