Mander Organ Builders Forum

Paul Morgan Retires

Vox Humana

Nice bit on our local TV news (BBC Spotlight) this evening about Paul Morgan's retirement from Exeter Cathedral. Paul now becomes Organist Emeritus. At the end of the item it was implied that the organ is now to be dismantled for a thorough overhaul. Does anyone know any more about this? There is nothing on H&H's website. I have not heard of a succesor to Paul being appointed; maybe this is why.

There's a link to the programme on this page http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/default.stm (an eminently missable link under "Video and Audio News" on the right-hand side), though it will now doubt be superseded within the next 24 hours. The item in question begins at 22.03.

I rarely go anywhere near Devon & Cornwall; though I have been there on business about four times.

The last time I travelled there recreationally I was in my early twenties, and spent time in Torquay. I went to an organ-recital at Exeter Cathedral, played by one Paul Morgan, and it was superb.

I recall driving a Mini Cooper 'S' at the time, they still made things in Birmingham and I'm not sure if they hadn't just started drilling for oil in the North Sea.

That's an awfully long time to be organist at one place, and I take my hat off to him.

MM

At the end of the item it was implied that the organ is now to be dismantled for a thorough overhaul.

Actually, this can't start before September at the very earliest as they have a summer series of recitals to get through first.

As a student, when I was a contemporary of Paul at Oxford, I recorded his playing a couple of times, the tapes of which are now in the British Sound Archive at the British Library. I also turned pages for him at a recital or two. Later, one of my nieces studied with him at Exeter University. I remember him as one of the most gentlemanly people I have met, and wish him all happiness in his retirement.

Paul

• 2 years later...

Indeed. http://www.exeter-cathedral.org.uk/_assets...%20may%2010.pdf (see page 6).

Paul was one of my organ teachers many years ago. It's almost hard for me to imagine music at Exeter Cathedral without Paul!

Mine too - for several years. I still visit him from time to time. He is, and has always been, a most kind and modest man; possessed of a superb technique, his psalm playng was wonderful to observe - much colour without distracion - allied to excellent taste.

I must apologise for dragging this thread up from the depths - I did not see it at the time and I wished to add my own tribute to this most un-assuming of cathedral organists. Two summers ago, when my sister became terminally ill, he was very kind - at very short notice, ferrying me to and from the hospital (after I drove down from my home), providing food and drink, support and friendship. Subsequently, I visited him again, to thank him for his kindness, and spent yet another wonderful day with him and his wife at their lovely home.

Mine too - for several years. I still visit him from time to time. He is, and has always been, a most kind and modest man; possessed of a superb technique, his psalm playng was wonderful to observe - much colour without distracion - allied to excellent taste.

I must apologise for dragging this thread up from the depths - I did not see it at the time and I wished to add my own tribute to this most un-assuming of cathedral organists. Two summers ago, when my sister became terminally ill, he was very kind - at very short notice, ferrying me to and from the hospital (after I drove down from my home), providing food and drink, support and friendship. Subsequently, I visited him again, to thank him for his kindness, and spent yet another wonderful day with him and his wife at their lovely home.

======================

What a nice post! I've never met Paul Morgan, but I wouold just add that in the days of regular BBC Radio 3 organ recitals, there were three names I was always thrilled to see on the list: those of Francis Jackson, Paul Morgan and a certain Geraint Jones. For me, they were the tops, and I think I may have been right.

Best,

MM

======================

What a nice post! I've never met Paul Morgan, but I wouold just add that in the days of regular BBC Radio 3 organ recitals, there were three names I was always thrilled to see on the list: those of Francis Jackson, Paul Morgan and a certain Geraint Jones. For me, they were the tops, and I think I may have been right.

Best,

MM

Thank you, MM.

I would endorse heartily your comments regarding Paul Morgan. I have, somewhere, a recording of a Radio Three broadcast of one of his organ recitals from Exeter Cathedral. It included a complete performance of Rheinberger's Eighth Sonata. The playing was superb - full of colour, yet well controlled. This organ always seemed to sound even better on broadcasts. The tutti (i.e., full Pedal, G.O. and Swell coupled), is a distinctive and instantly recognisable sound; and eminently satisfying - even before the addition of the Pedal 32ft. reed extension. Paul always knew how to get the best out of it. He made a number of solo recordings. One, entitled Organ Imperial, included a stunning performance of Healey Willan's Introduction, Passacaglia and Fugue; http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B002RB3ERQ