Mander Organ Builders Forum

Royal Wedding Music

handsoff

There may, as noted elsewhere on the forum, be life after Widor's Toccata but it will no doubt see a resurgence of popularity now. It's a pity that they didn't pick the first movement of his VI Symphonie...

http://www.officialroyalwedding2011.org/bl...Wedding-Service

Some of the other music will be interesting if the BBC commentators allow viewers and listeners the courtesy of actually hearing it. They usually waffle over everything except the solemn vows. :)

Much of it isn't that surprising I guess, but Whitlock isn't a name I would have expected to feature. The Elgar Sonata I would have expected. It will certainly be a treat for Parry fans (of which I am mostly one, certainly in terms of his choral music), with I was glad, Split pair, Jerusalem and the Processional. The Walton should be good as well - wonder if I'll need to think about learning that soon...!

Don't see what's wrong with Love Divine to Blaenwern myself. If it encourages people to choose it above 'Give me despair/joy' and 'All things bright and beautiful' then all the better. At the end of the day they were bound to choose well-known stuff unless they were commissioning.

The Rutter commission will be interesting. Will he go for the somewhat populist style of so much of his music or will it be a bit different? If its not tricky, I'm sure it will find its way into the repertoire of many choirs.

Altogether, looks like we'll have a lot of music to enjoy. Perhaps the BBC might offer us a function (via red button, perhaps) to switch the commentary off.

The Rutter commission will be interesting. Will he go for the somewhat populist style of so much of his music or will it be a bit different? If its not tricky, I'm sure it will find its way into the repertoire of many choirs.

He is a shrewd guy, so I guess it will be eminently approachable for many choirs, for obvious reasons.

The inclusion of two PMD pieces is interesting though perhaps inevitable given his currernt position; Stromness is of course one of his more lyrical pieces and has been a Classic FM favourite for some time. But will Veni Creator Spiritus win him many new fans I wonder? I love it, frankly, but I would like to know if this was a choice of the couple or of the Abbey's music department....

Peter

Altogether, looks like we'll have a lot of music to enjoy. Perhaps the BBC might offer us a function (via red button, perhaps) to switch the commentary off.

It certainly is possible as the BBC do something similar for Formula One racing; different camera angles, different commentary and so on. I write an annual and quite pointless letter to them asking for such a piece of functionality for Wimbledon so that I can enjoy the ambient sounds of a tennis court without the tedious blather. My new Virgin+ box can do all manner of things, including pause live programmes, so the technology is there.

I think though, that on this occasion, that that Auntie's arrogance will be at the forefront and give us what they think we need to know; endless chat about "celebrities" (where's the "Spit The Dog" smiley?) and what they are wearing, who is sitting next to whom and why Blair and Brown aren't there...

It's probably better if I don't watch or listen at all rather than shout at the screen so shall spend the morning in my hopefully quiet health club's swimming pool. :)

The inclusion of two PMD pieces is interesting though perhaps inevitable given his currernt position

I imagine he was chosen as much to represent Scotland as anything else (though I appreciate he was born in England). The Irish and Welsh have due acknowledgement in the programme.

I imagine he was chosen as much to represent Scotland as anything else (though I appreciate he was born in England). The Irish and Welsh have due acknowledgement in the programme.

I worked with Max quite a bit when I was Organist of St. Magnus Cathedral, but I don't remember him ever being selected to represent Scotland as a composer. He has written a number of pieces with a Scottish flavour, but to actually class him as a 'Scottish' composer would stir up a great deal of resentment among those who really are Scottish. Any input he might have at the Royal Wedding would be because he is the Master of the Queen's Musick.

I really liked the Paul Mealor Ubi Caritas - looking at his website he has written some organ music - has anyone on here had experience of any of this?

A

Well done to all involved for a good show.

The Rutter left me a bit disappointed, as it was not original at all...its perfectly listenable stuff, and will probably attract some fans, but it won't inspire many choristers I suspect and the Rutter haters will be out in force...

The Mealor was nice and a new discovery. I expect it will promote an interest in his music as a whole. I'd not put it above the Durufle, which is always the challenge when you're competing with a very well-known setting of the same text.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but I thought the accretions to Jerusalem were unbearably cheesy, particularly the violin figurations towards the start of the second verse. Shame we didn't hear more of the organ too. I'm glad that plenty of Parry got an outing though! :) A much under-rated composer IMHO.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but I thought the accretions to Jerusalem were unbearably cheesy, particularly the violin figurations towards the start of the second verse.

It was surely Elgar's orchestration, as heard at the Last Night of the Proms annually! Elgar arranged it only six years after the original was published, which suggests that Parry's setting caught on rather quickly.

Ian

I'm sorry to have to say this, but I thought the accretions to Jerusalem were unbearably cheesy, particularly the violin figurations towards the start of the second verse. Shame we didn't hear more of the organ too. I'm glad that plenty of Parry got an outing though! :) A much under-rated composer IMHO.

WHAT? This was Elgar's orchestration and is always used at the Proms. Perhaps you have a strange perception of cheese... I love the way Elgar reflects the words so colourfully and artistically in his thrilling orchestration. I got plenty of organ through my amplifier - party horns, 32' reed (on 'Glad' - marvellous!) and all, and of course it led the other hymns on its own.

He is a shrewd guy, so I guess it will be eminently approachable for many choirs, for obvious reasons.

Spot on there, I think. Most of it was in unison, the odd bits of harmony sounded reasonably straightforward and an obvious opportunity for some simple voice-leading counterpoint (at "from this time forth") was eschewed. Touching little piece though. Quite brought a lump to my bowels, it did. I'm sure it will sell a few copies.

Well done to all involved for a good show.

The Rutter left me a bit disappointed, as it was not original at all...its perfectly listenable stuff, and will probably attract some fans, but it won't inspire many choristers I suspect and the Rutter haters will be out in force...

The Mealor was nice and a new discovery. I expect it will promote an interest in his music as a whole. I'd not put it above the Durufle, which is always the challenge when you're competing with a very well-known setting of the same text.

So the Rutter left you disappointed? Well that's just tough! It wasn't for you, it was for the Royal couple and the millions of other people who watched the service. To me, being perfectly listenable is a worthy achievement. The "Rutter Haters", as you describe them, ought to be in retreat - what have they ever done, apart from moan?

I thought the Rutter, as nearly always with his vocal writing, was a well crafted, well written piece, clearly written by someone who thoroughly understands the human voice.

............................................. I just don't like the noises he makes!!!

The rest of the music, some of which wouldn't have been my choice, but it wasn't my wedding, was executed with that thorough professionalism you expect from James O'Donnell and his team.

So the Rutter left you disappointed? Well that's just tough! It wasn't for you, it was for the Royal couple and the millions of other people who watched the service. To me, being perfectly listenable is a worthy achievement. The "Rutter Haters", as you describe them, ought to be in retreat - what have they ever done, apart from moan?

Of course it wasn't for me, I realise that. I was merely expressing an opinion (and from a Rutter fan).

I was hoping we would get something a bit more original, which didn't sound so much like almost every other piece he's written. He has a formula that works - and I enjoy a lot of his music - but I suppose I hoped that as it was a special occasion and a special commission that he might write something a bit distinguishable. If not, why not just perform one of the many perfectly good pieces he's already written, many of which can fit perfectly well into the context of a wedding service? Personally, the only reason I would look at that piece again would be if it was requested or for the novelty of 'it was the piece they had at the royal wedding'. Of course being perfectly listenable is a worthy achievement...but I felt Mr Rutter could perhaps have done something more.

WHAT? This was Elgar's orchestration and is always used at the Proms. Perhaps you have a strange perception of cheese... I love the way Elgar reflects the words so colourfully and artistically in his thrilling orchestration.

Quite right. You only have to hear Parry's "straight" orchestration to appreciate the skill (and thrill) of the Elgar orchestration.

Agreed on the Blaenwern, dull in F major. I enjoyed the restrained last verse descants, very effective. I was glad was really tremendous. Its not my choice of speed, but given the building and the forces used, it was spot on.

I also liked the Ubi Caritas motet.

I'm not one usually for collecting these things, but I was so impressed, I will be buying the soundtrack when it is released.

By the way, did anyone see that the choristers are getting £7,500 each in various rights etc for today. Worth every penny!