Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recordings of Gloucester Cathedral Organ

Mark Taylor

What a shame, approaching Walton and Elgar's music with preconceptions of war and empire. Poor chaps. The world would be dull if all tastes were the same, but I stand by my long-held opinion about the Sumsion recording: a curate's egg. As for those learning Elgar these days, I would encourage them to listen to Elgar conducting Elgar and learn from it (whilst not slavishly copying it). A revelation. As for implying that Tod Handley's band (or Messrs Scott, Trotter, Kynaston and all others who care to notice the composer's tempo indications & time signatures and know his wider oeuvre) don't play lyrically, expressively or savour their surroundings... I must be using different ears. Perhaps I should stop listening to non-organ music and just focus inwards.

What a shame, approaching Walton and Elgar's music with preconceptions of war and empire. Poor chaps.

=====================

With Walton, it's a bit difficult not to. After all, he did write the "Spitfire P & F," and he was very much of that generation. I think I would also include Eric Coates in the same category, but obviously in a lighter vein.

Elgar was known to have been a little bemused by the popularity of the "Pomp & Circumstance" marches, but it didn't stop him from giving the public what they wanted to hear, so the Imperial tag is a little difficult to escape from.

MM

By an extraordinary turn of events, I met a quite elderly gentleman yesterday, who was manning the "Rotary Club" book-stall outside the Nat West Bank in the market place, Settle, North Yorkshire. This was following a brief encounter with a naked man, which I will explain.

There, on the wall of the Nat West, was a plaque carrying a depiction of Sir Edward Elgar, with the explanation that "he stayed here, in the home of his friend Dr Buck."

I had vaguely heard of this before, but I wasn't aware of just how much time Elgar had spent in Settle, and of the many walks he and Dr Buck undertook, in the company of Elgar's future wife.

However, it wasn't the plaque which made my eyebrows raise, but the knowledge of the elderly gentleman, who not only knew the entire saga, but also turned out to be a retired church-organist. Not only did he know about Elgar, he had also known Allan Wicks and his wife, as well as Allan's family.

Allan Wicks was the son of a local clergyman, who had served as the village Vicar of Harden 4 miles away from me,(where Allan was born), and then as Vicar Steeton, about 2 miles away.

The question which puzzled me for the rest of the day, was the statisical chances of meeting a retired organist in the middle of a small market-town square, who was unknown to me, and who knew the (then) organist of Canterbury Cathedral and some of the people who knew Elgar?

Oh yes! Lest I forget, the "Naked Man" is the name of the cafe in the square.

MM

... As for the reasons why the Willis/Harrison was "dumped"...well now we will never know. Ralph Downes and John Sanders are sadly no longer around to explain.

Not quite.

Ralph Downes gives some fairly good clues as to his opinion of it in his book Baroque Tricks - Adventures with the Organ Builders..

I never met Elgar or Sumsion, neither have I ever owned a handlebar moustache. However, I did meet Ralph Downes - specifically to discuss the rebuilding of the Gloucester Cathedral organ. It featured in a chapter of my degree thesis and so I telephoned Ralph Downes and asked him if he would be prepared to meet and share some thoughts on the rationale of the re-design. He readily agreed and was most gracious. We met at the RFH, after one of the old 'Wednesdays at 5.55' recitals. He was quite candid in his remarks - and left me in little doubt as to exactly what he thought of the old Gloucester H&H.

Not quite.

Ralph Downes gives some fairly good clues as to his opinion of it in his book Baroque Tricks - Adventures with the Organ Builders..

I never met Elgar or Sumsion, neither have I ever owned a handlebar moustache. However, I did meet Ralph Downes - specifically to discuss the rebuilding of the Gloucester Cathedral organ. It featured in a chapter of my degree thesis and so I telephoned Ralph Downes and asked him if he would be prepared to meet and share some thoughts on the rationale of the re-design. He readily agreed and was most gracious. We met at the RFH, after one of the old 'Wednesdays at 5.55' recitals. He was quite candid in his remarks - and left me in little doubt as to exactly what he thought of the old Gloucester H&H.

Please do share!

Not quite.

Indeed Sean, you've made my point for me! We know exactly how and why, just as we do about Elgar performance practice.

Not quite.

===============================

In the words of the late Lawrence Phelps:-

"Downes is a reformer without clear convictions, thus his work lacks direction and serves more to confuse his countrymen than to lead them." :)

MM

• 4 weeks later...
it never arrived :ph34r:

Please accept my apologies. I have had to wade through several minor crises, lately; work even harder than usual and, in addition, re-mortgage, try to sell my house, change my car, write full page reports (with detailed grades for several criteria) for all of my school pupils and take on several extra playing engagements....

I had also forgotten (in the ensuing chaos) to whom I had promised to send the PM.

I shall write it now.

....... write full page reports (with detailed grades for several criteria) for all of my school pupils...........

Don't worry - the next 'level' will be half termly computer entries - the results of which get sent to parents - with staff emails attached for response. (OFSTED are not keen on this though!)

Have fun!!

A

Don't worry - the next 'level' will be half termly computer entries - the results of which get sent to parents - with staff emails attached for response. (OFSTED are not keen on this though!)

Have fun!!

A

Oh joy.

Perhaps eventually, we shall be allowed to lock 'troublesome' parents in a room with a full class - and see how many minutes they survive.

I suspect that, were we permitted to resort to this option, a large part of teachers' jobs would improve instantly.

Please accept my apologies. I have had to wade through several minor crises, lately; work even harder than usual and, in addition, re-mortgage, try to sell my house, change my car, write full page reports (with detailed grades for several criteria) for all of my school pupils and take on several extra playing engagements....

I had also forgotten (in the ensuing chaos) to whom I had promised to send the PM.

I shall write it now.

Received and appreciated! Sorry things have been so chaotic for you. I'm forever glad I didn't go into teaching!!

As mentioned elsewhere on here some time ago I know someone who voiced much of this organ and has written about it. The work remains unpublished and I have yet to read it but I must chase him up again as he did say I was welcome to read it.

WIll keep you updated if I do manage to get my hands on it.