Mander Organ Builders Forum

Descriptions

David Drinkell

Maybe tomorrow? It isnt a 24hr job! might even be on another beekeepers course!

Sorry if I offended.

I was talking about a previous comment relating to another thread where some chap came and abused us all for hours if not days; I found this far more annoying than one single line from a regular and knowledgable contributor. I quite understand if you his comment offensive and respect your view.

Best wishes

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressing the "report" button against the offensive post would probably get you a response if you feel that strongly.

Yes I do feel that strongly and thank you for that - it was something I hadn't realised existed!!

Guest Geoff McMahon
Maybe tomorrow? It isnt a 24hr job! might even be on another beekeepers course!

Responding to the alert (Reported Post) relayed to me by John Mander - tasteless joke deleted, and all the posts that referenced it.

Not the bee-keeping course this time - a meeting with the police about organising a peaceful protest in Greenwich.

Moderator, Mander Organs

Responding to the alert (Reported Post) relayed to me by John Mander - tasteless joke deleted, and all the posts that referenced it.

Moderator, Mander Organs

I am surprised by this I have to say! Is it policy to censor anything that has a complaint raised against it?

Accompanying Balfour Gardiner's Evening Hymn, there are chords marked to be played with "rich tone". Enjoying the large instrument with all sort of soft reeds, strings and sub/super couplers, in rehearsal I became aware of the choir giggling below me. Conductor commented:

It was more opulent than foie gras!

Guest Geoff McMahon
I am surprised by this I have to say! Is it policy to censor anything that has a complaint raised against it?

You are forgetting, perhaps, that this is the Internet. It is a long-accepted "principle" that whoever owns an on-line forum, bulletin board, mail-list, blog comments section, can "take his ball home" any time he wants and for any reason or none. There doesn't have to be a "policy" - it is a judgement call for the forum owner. If the owner finds something tasteless, then it is tasteless and will be removed.

I have had comments of mine removed, in other places, and not agreed with the "reason" for removal (if any were given, which is seldom); I suggest that you do as I do - just "roll with it".

Moderator, Mander Organs

You are forgetting, perhaps, that this is the Internet. It is a long-accepted "principle" that whoever owns an on-line forum, bulletin board, mail-list, blog comments section, can "take his ball home" any time he wants and for any reason or none. There doesn't have to be a "policy" - it is a judgement call for the forum owner. If the owner finds something tasteless, then it is tasteless and will be removed.

I have had comments of mine removed, in other places, and not agreed with the "reason" for removal (if any were given, which is seldom); I suggest that you do as I do - just "roll with it".

Moderator, Mander Organs

Here Here. It is your forum, you are the boss, and we all appreciate the time and expense you give freely for us.

Thank you; you put that nicely.

It is a long-accepted "principle"

Not even a principle, I'd say, but a fact. I moderate on a (very different) board; and when I took over the role, getting this fact over was the key to establishing control of a place that had got rather wild.

Paul

Hi

John has replied re this specific board, I moderate another organ forum (with others). We think very carefully before removing or modifying reported posts.

Every Blessing

Tony

Accompanying Balfour Gardiner's Evening Hymn, there are chords marked to be played with "rich tone". Enjoying the large instrument with all sort of soft reeds, strings and sub/super couplers, in rehearsal I became aware of the choir giggling below me. Conductor commented:

It was more opulent than foie gras!

I once heard David Briggs say 'Every organ should have a Vox Humana'. How true, how true.....

- it is a judgement call for the forum owner. If the owner finds something tasteless, then it is tasteless and will be removed.

Moderator, Mander Organs

If I might politely disagree; it may be removed, but it doesn't make it tasteless.

(Didn't see the remark/joke in question but did endure the posts of carrick for seemingly ages.)

Hope the police were utterly reasonable and not given to arbitrary decisions.

I've just recalled an amusing description of the 32ft reed (Sordun?) on the Peter Collins organ at Worksop Priory, by the late Robert Andrews of Bingley PC, which took the form of a rhetorical question:-

"Have they got Death Watch Beetle?"

MM

Moderator, Mander Organs

Fair enough! Thanks for the response

And what about the 32ft flue on the Peter Collins organ in Edinburgh? Rumble may be a description but in this case is what it actually says on the knob.

PJW

The 32' at Llandaff is a sock-knocker-offer (I know because when I used it for the first time I thought the cathedral was about to collapse!) so they have a quint to make sure that the building stays intact. I used it on paged two of Howells PP 1, last system, just the one note as indicated. Great feeling!

P

And what about the 32ft flue on the Peter Collins organ in Edinburgh? Rumble may be a description but in this case is what it actually says on the knob.

PJW

Yeah - that's a funny one. It was actually an after thought I believe. The pipes are located horizontally across the back of the gallery, and it's a second hand open wood with stoppers in, and is the only stop on electric action.

Last time I was there not a single note in the bottom octave worked properly - it's a complete waste of space and sadly doesn't live up to its amusing name. I believe the organist is trying to get somebody to make it work better, but I wonder whether it should be dis-guarded all together - there are plenty of other things on that organ which could do with attention, eg the mechanical action has been problematic for a long time.

PJW

I've always thought of the Walker at St. John the Evangelist, Islington as one of the best jobs of its period. Long, long after I played it, they added a 32' reed called 'Oliphant', which I think is rather jolly.

The 32' reed at St. Asaph Cathedral is called 'Sarff', which is Welsh for 'Serpent'.

I rather like 'Sackbut' meself....

The 32' Napoleon on the Aubertin at S. Louis in Vichy has the desired 'all conquering' effect from its position outside the case along the gallery wall.

A

I've just recalled an amusing description of the 32ft reed (Sordun?) on the Peter Collins organ at Worksop Priory, by the late Robert Andrews of Bingley PC, which took the form of a rhetorical question:-

"Have they got Death Watch Beetle?"

MM

I only recently realised that it is possible to HEAR death watch beetle...a very quiet ticking.