25 replies to this topic

#21 Contra Posaune

Contra Posaune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

The Browne organ you refer to is at St.Mary in the Marsh, if my memory serves me correctly. A west-end job with detached console.

CP

Yes, just checked NPOR, and it's ref K00730

CP

#22 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

Yes, just checked NPOR, and it's ref K00730

CP

Thanks - I knew I should have taken the trouble to check.....

#23 Colin Pykett

Colin Pykett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

Currently there are several pipe organs listed on ebay.  Two strike me as interesting because they illustrate the sort of straightforward mechanical action organ built frequently in the 19th century and into the early 20th, compared to the rather extreme use of extension sometimes used later in the 20th.  Both are by reputable builders.

The first is by Speechly.  The listing is due to expire in a couple of days' time but I'll give it anyway:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Sometimes you can still see an item after its sell-by date, but the item ID is 171884826173.  This also sometimes enables you to find it retrospectively.

This organ has 10 speaking stops and 534 pipes.  The seller says it is in Brecon but there is no NPOR entry for a Speechly organ there, even though s/he gives a screenshot of what looks like part of a web page taken from NPOR.

The second organ is by Walker.  Its link is:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

and the item ID is 252049039304.

It has 84% of the pipes of the Speechly if my arithmetic is correct (450 vs 534), yet 120% more speaking stops (22 vs 10).

I do not dismiss extension organs out of hand as some of them can be moderately musical and useful to my mind.  However this one seems to take things to extreme, and in some respects it also appears wasteful.  However I have no idea what the customer might have insisted on, so it would be unfair to heap all criticism onto the makers.  There are only 4 ranks, none of which is a reed whereas the Speechly has one.  Moreover, one of the flue ranks is a 3 rank mixture duplicated on both manual divisions.  (Thus one could argue that the mixture occupies three ranks, but as far as I can see all of them are treated electrically as just one and denoted as 'rank D' in the stop list).  The whole thing is enclosed, thus it seems juvenile to denote one of the divisions as a 'swell organ'.  Even providing couplers could be criticised as fairly pointless if not wasteful, though with care there could be some occasions when they would add something which the intrinsic extension does not provide, I suppose.

I wonder rhetorically which one I would prefer to play.  I never make such a decision about any organ that I have not played, or at least heard in its environment, and I have played nor heard neither of these.  The Walker electric console would probably be easier to manage provided the action is still in good condition, but the fact that only flue ranks are provided, together with the somewhat excessive use of extension (to my mind) is a potential disadvantage.

I must admit that I am only posting this message, which some might quite reasonably consider time-wasting, because of the appalling weather.  Both yesterday and today I donned gardening clothes, determined to do something about the summer's crop of weeds, only to be driven in again after less than half an hour on both occasions, covered in mud and in a correspondingly filthy frame of mind.  I hope members will not think I am taking out my frustrations on them.

CEP

#24 Gwas Bach

Gwas Bach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:11 PM

This organ has 10 speaking stops and 534 pipes.  The seller says it is in Brecon but there is no NPOR entry for a Speechly organ there, even though s/he gives a screenshot of what looks like part of a web page taken from NPOR.

Could it be Gary Owens's firm who have collected it somewhere and are selling it on?  He's based in Brecon.

#25 Colin Pykett

Colin Pykett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

Could it be Gary Owens's firm who have collected it somewhere and are selling it on?  He's based in Brecon.

Yes, I think it is.  The instrument is also advertised as a used one on his website - see:

http://www.go-organb...usedpipeorgans/

However I didn't want to blow his cover, though I can't really see that it matters.  The additional publicity here can't but help, and I can't see that it breaches forum guidelines on advertising because it's not Gary himself who is doing it, and I have no connection whatever with his firm.  So purely altruistic, m'lud ...

CEP

#26 Contrabombarde

Contrabombarde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

And for the record......

The Walker extension organ had 14 bids and sold for just over £1500.

The Speechly failed to attract a single bid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users