Mander Organ Builders Forum

Sowande

David Drinkell

I still wait to hear from David Drinkell. I'm sorry, CV, but I have only one copy and I respect copyright (when the publisher bothers to keep an item in print).

My copy cost 2/6d - in today's money 12 1/2p, and the price now from Fuller Music is £7.50, which is 60 times as much, a ridiculous price for 4 pages of music + title page and biography of Sowande

Thank-you to all who replied, either on or off forum. I'm playing 'Joshua' tonight ("Last Night of the Proms" concert as part of our Patronal Festival celebrations), together with Henry Wood's Sea Songs, Pomp & Circumstance, etc, etc.....

• 4 years later...

Update: The piece is now available through Boosey & Hawkes at this link. Inexcusably, the composer is listed as 'Joshua Fit' and the piece mistitled (is it any wonder it has been difficult to track down?), and Boosey assure me that this error will be corrected.

I still wait to hear from David Drinkell. I'm sorry, CV, but I have only one copy and I respect copyright (when the publisher bothers to keep an item in print).

My copy cost 2/6d - in today's money 12 1/2p, and the price now from Fuller Music is £7.50, which is 60 times as much, a ridiculous price for 4 pages of music + title page and biography of Sowande

There has been significant inflation since decimalisation in 1971. Perhaps UK house prices have risen slightly less than Joshua Fit but some strange economic factors may be involved. In any event ridiculous price is not a permissible defence for theft under civil law as far as I am aware (I am not a lawyer).