170 replies to this topic

#41 DHM

DHM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

Douglas Tang (Kings, Cambridge) to be College Organist at Haileybury (according to Mr Tang's Facebook page today).

#42 DaveHarries

DaveHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

George Richford to Romsey Abbey

Robert Fielding (who was my organ teacher when I started out) spent quite a few years there and I didn't realise he had gone. Has he retired, or simply gone elsewhere? And when did he finish?

Dave

#43 pcnd5584

pcnd5584

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

Robert Fielding (who was my organ teacher when I started out) spent quite a few years there and I didn't realise he had gone. Has he retired, or simply gone elsewhere? And when did he finish?

Dave

As far as I know, he is still in-post, until the end of term. I believe that he is moving into property developing. (He has also run a wedding car hire firm for a number of years.)

George Richford was formerly Director of Music at Saint Mary's, Newark, Notts.

Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

#44 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

As far as I know, he is still in-post, until the end of term. I believe that he is moving into property developing. (He has also run a wedding car hire firm for a number of years.)

George Richford was formerly Director of Music at Saint Mary's, Newark, Notts.

....and Dartford PC.

A
"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

#45 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:18 PM

Dr. Stephen Tympany has been appointed Organist & Master of the Choristers at Armagh Cathedral (CofI), in succession to Theo Saunders. Stephen has been covering for some time while Theo was on sick leave. He has been a leading light in church music in Northern Ireland for many years and was for a long time in charge of the music at Banbridge Parish Church. This sounds to me to be a very good appointment.

#46 DHM

DHM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Kris Thomsett, currently Organ Scholar at Salisbury, to be Assistant DoM at Newcastle Cathedral.

Formerly 6th form Organ Scholar at King's, Rochester (and an excellent Alto in the Cathedral Voluntary Choir), then Chelmsford (gap-year) and Norwich (UEA).

#47 orgabmarc

orgabmarc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:56 AM

David Pipe has been appointed as Director of the Organ School and Organist of Leeds Cathedral from May 2016.

David is to head the new Organ School, a partnership between the Diocese of Leeds Music Department and The Royal College of Organists, the national body for accrediting and training organists and choir directors, with an international reputation for excellence. Posted on the RCO Website

#48 DHM

DHM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:08 AM

James Norrey to be the Michael James Assistant Sub-Organist at Rochester from January 2016 in succession to Ben Bloor.
Ben, who joined us in September, has been appointed Organist of the London Oratory.

#49 Jim Treloar

Jim Treloar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

Benjamin Chewter, assistant DoM Chester, will shortly be leaving "to become freelance".  Advertisements for a replacement are already being placed.

#50 Stephen Barber

Stephen Barber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

David Pipe to be Director of the Diocese of Leeds Organ School and Organist of Leeds Cathedral from May 2016.

https://www.rco.org.....php?newsid=234

#51 DaveHarries

DaveHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:36 PM

A quick heads-up: the music list on the website of Exeter Cathedral says that tomorrow (10th January) at 4pm will be the installation of Tim Noon as the new DoM. The music list for this service reads:

Responses: Bernard Rose

Hymns: 57, 48 (NEH)

Psalm: 46

Canticles: Herbert Brewer in D

Anthem: There shall a star (Mendelssohn)

Voluntary: Final (Symphonie I) - Vierne

The service sounds like it may be a fairly full house as it also includes the installation of the new headmaster of the Cathedral School and new choristers.

I would probably go if I didn't live in Bristol as I have never heard either Brewer's Canticles or the anthem by Mendelssohn.

Dave

#52 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:05 PM

Brewer in a D is a fun setting - very Elgarian - and the Mendelssohn is likewise a good sing and a good listen.  Bristol is only up the road - you should go!

#53 Martin Cooke

Martin Cooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

... absolutely... and the Vierne will be a good romp too! Didn't they have a new 32ft reed when Exeter was rebuilt? If so, you'll have a chance to hear that in this piece for sure!

#54 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:54 PM

According to their website Michael Stoodart from Newcastle Cathedral succeeds Timothy Noon at Auckland Cathedral, New Zealand.

A
"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

#55 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

Regarding Dave Harries' Exeter posting, a new edition of Brewer in D has just appeared on CPDL.

#56 DHM

DHM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

Follow-up to my post #46:
Kris Thomsett is now Acting DoM at Newcastle, following Michael Stoddart's departure to Auckland, New Zealand (Holy Trnity Cathedral).

#57 Barry Oakley

Barry Oakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:32 AM

There has been quite a clear-out (or should it be exodus?) from Newcastle Cathedral in recent years. Scott Farrell and James Norrey to Rochester and now the departure of Michael Stoddart. Perhaps there's unfavourable news regarding the restoration of the pipe organ?

#58 nigel parkin

nigel parkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

I see that Exeter Cathedral are advertising for an Assistant DoM in today's church Times.  Does anyone know what's happening to David Davies?

#59 pcnd5584

pcnd5584

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:09 PM

... absolutely... and the Vierne will be a good romp too! Didn't they have a new 32ft reed when Exeter was rebuilt? If so, you'll have a chance to hear that in this piece for sure!

The new 32ft. reed (Contra Trombone, an extension of the existing Trombone) arrived at the previous rebuild, in 1999-2000. It is a useful stop and, despite being half-length in the 32ft. octave, is a suitable foundation to the tutti. Low B is an odd, slightly unpleasant note, otherwise the stop is well worth having.

Pierre Cochereau rocked, man

#60 Positif

Positif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

Dan Hyde to St Thomas's Fifth Avenue: http://www.saintthom...music-appointed

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users