#141 Y mab afradlon

Y mab afradlon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

This from Southwell this morning https://www.facebook...IMELINE&fref=nf

We are delighted to announce the appointment of our new Rector Chori - Paul Provost, currently Sub Organist at Guildford Cathedral.

Paul, who is married to Ruth and has a six-month old daughter, has worked with some of the country’s leading ensembles, and in Europe and the USA.

“We are very much looking forward to the move to Southwell, a place for which we have great affection,” said Paul. “I am in particular excited by the musical opportunities and possibilities for development, encouraged by the generosity and friendliness of all I have met so far.”

Dean Nicola Sullivan said: "I am delighted at Paul's appointment. He is a creative and skilful choir trainer with a strong sense of faith and vision for how musical excellence supports the mission and worshipping life of a Cathedral. He is keen to promote music more widely across the diocese and will build on the excellence of the Music Foundation already here."

The announcement was made today (Jan 29th) during the Patronal Festival Eucharist and Procession at the Minster.

Paul, who moves to Southwell after Easter, replaces Paul Hale who recently retired after 27 years as Rector Chori.

#142 Martin Cooke

Martin Cooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:58 AM

Truro Cathedral announced yesterday the appointment of Joseph Wicks as Assistant Director of Music. Joseph is presently Assistant Organist of St John's College, Cambridge.

#143 Y mab afradlon

Y mab afradlon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

Not strictly and appointment but will lead to one I presume 

http://www.liverpool...c_david_poulter

#144 sirusnantwich

sirusnantwich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Tom Corns is moving from Warwick to be the new #1 at Sheffield Cathedral

#145 Positif

Positif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

Tom Corns is moving from Warwick to be the new #1 at Sheffield Cathedral

Interesting. A step up, or sideways? I understand the choirs at Warwick are very highly regarded.

#146 Martin Cooke

Martin Cooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:55 AM

Interesting. A step up, or sideways? I understand the choirs at Warwick are very highly regarded.

I would have thought it was a step up. St Mary's Warwick straight to a senior cathedral post...? I doubt it... but going via Sheffield seems much more likely to meet with success. Simon Lole made this exact same move and went from Sheffield to Salisbury. 

#147 Andrew Butler

Andrew Butler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

Carlise Cathedral advertising for DOM in this week's Church Times

#148 rogbi200

rogbi200

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

Durham now advertising:

https://www.durhamcathedral.co.uk/beinvolved/employment/master-of-choristers-and-organist 

#149 drjad

drjad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:16 PM

Yes, Carlisle Cathedral has placed an advertisement in the CT and on its website!   How massively enterprising.   In neither instance is there any more information other than an instruction to ask separately for it - in other words, a further step and delay,

I would not wish to apply for it, even if I thought I might be eligible.    But, why do these cathedrals think they need to be so coy?    It has overtones of arrogance - making even enquirers, let alone applicants, jump through unnecessary hoops just, possibly, to satisfy some pointless bureaucracy within the supplicant establishment's management.

Ridiculous.    They need organists (Ds of M) rather more than we need them.

#150 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:02 PM

But, why do these cathedrals think they need to be so coy?

Well at least you can't accuse Durham of that. (Not that you are, of course. :) )

#151 Andrew Butler

Andrew Butler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

The Radio 3 Choral Evensong page for Ash Wednesday's broadcast from St John's Cambridge has John Challenger as "Acting DOM"   I can find nothing on the college website as to Andrew Nethsingha's absence....??

#152 sjf1967

sjf1967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

he's on sabbatical

#153 Andrew Butler

Andrew Butler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:18 AM

he's on sabbatical

I guessed that was probably the case - I just couldn't find any mention of it anywhere.  I have subsequently found it in a St Johm's Choir association newsletter from the autumn.

#154 DaveHarries

DaveHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

Durham Cathedral's website now carries an advertisement for the Master of Choristers & Organist job. No doubt the field of candidates will be quite a strong one.

https://www.durhamca...ws/organist-job

Dave

#155 wolsey

wolsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

Durham Cathedral's website now carries an advertisement for the Master of Choristers & Organist job. No doubt the field of candidates will be quite a strong one.

https://www.durhamca...ws/organist-job

Dave

Daniel Cook succeeds Canon James Lancelot.

#156 DaveHarries

DaveHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

Good appointment: best of luck to Mr. Cook. I wonder if Canon James will end up as emeritus in recognition of his long service.

Dave

#157 Stephen Barber

Stephen Barber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:03 AM

Mark Duthie to move from Brecon to Carlisle.
http://swanseaandbre...ector-moves-on/

#158 Positif

Positif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

I wonder what's going on in Warwick.  Mr Corns' appointment to Sheffield was announced in February, with effect from June, but no signs of advertisement as yet.  A long interregnum seems inevitable!

#159 Buxtehude

Buxtehude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:51 AM

I wonder what's going on in Warwick.  Mr Corns' appointment to Sheffield was announced in February, with effect from June, but no signs of advertisement as yet.  A long interregnum seems inevitable!

If they get on with it after Easter, a September start is viable, so only half a term really. Churches can sometimes find it harder to move swiftly, depending on their management structure and if the PCC need to agree a changed job specification.

#160 Positif

Positif

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

If they get on with it after Easter, a September start is viable, so only half a term really. Churches can sometimes find it harder to move swiftly, depending on their management structure and if the PCC need to agree a changed job specification.

Ah, is half a term standard practice?  It's a full term in my line of work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users