Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments 2

sbarber49

Edward Turner, currently Organ Scholar at Southwell Minster, to be ADoM at Derby from September.
(According to a FB post today from The Choirs of Southwell Minster.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if folks will have noticed, but Portsmouth has had some work done recently to bring the console up to date. A new Trompette de Maris - a chamade positioned at the west end - is currently being installed. You can read all about this on the Nicholson website/facebook page, and hear the chamade played by its voicer in the works. It is to be inaugurated in September at a recital by Gordon Stewart with a new fanfare by Noel Rawsthorne.

• 2 months later...

Not an appointment exactly but I couldn't help but notice that Stephen Cleobury for the first time has put a date on his retirement in an interview, saying it will be in "two to three years". There goes my theory he'd resign on his 70th conveniently-dated birthday after Christmas next year.

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/etcetera/music/choir-brings-the-floating-resonance-of-king-s-college-chapel-to-st-jude-s-prom-1-5089902

On 9/26/2017 at 14:36, michaelwilson said:

Not an appointment exactly but I couldn't help but notice that Stephen Cleobury for the first time has put a date on his retirement in an interview, saying it will be in "two to three years". There goes my theory he'd resign on his 70th conveniently-dated birthday after Christmas next year.

http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/etcetera/music/choir-brings-the-floating-resonance-of-king-s-college-chapel-to-st-jude-s-prom-1-5089902

He will be a hard act to follow.

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.stpauls.co.uk/news-press/latest-news/st-pauls-welcomes-new-young-and-talented-organists

The Music Department of St Paul’s Cathedral are delighted to announce three new organist appointments:

1. William Fox has been appointed Sub Organist from July 2018.
  2. James Orford has been appointed William and Irene Miller Organ Scholar from January 2018.
  3. Nicholas Freestone has been appointed Acting Sub Organist from January-July 2018.

• 4 weeks later...

Some news from the Antipodes as we bask in the heat of a Sydney summer.
Simon Niemiński, has this week taken up the post of ADOM at St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Sydney. 
Simon has been previously organist of St Mary's Metropolitan Cathedral, Edinburgh and Director of Music at The Robin Chapel. He was also previously assistant at London's St Bartholomew the Great.
Happy New Year from a very sultry Sydney!
Cheers,
Ross Cobb (DOM, St Andrew's Anglican Cathedral, Sydney)

13 hours ago, ross cobb said:

Some news from the Antipodes as we bask in the heat of a Sydney summer.
Simon Niemiński, has this week taken up the post of ADOM at St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Sydney. 
Simon has been previously organist of St Mary's Metropolitan Cathedral, Edinburgh and Director of Music at The Robin Chapel. He was also previously assistant at London's St Bartholomew the Great.
Happy New Year from a very sultry Sydney!
Cheers,
Ross Cobb (DOM, St Andrew's Anglican Cathedral, Sydney)

Greetings Ross. You weren't previously organist of a church here in Bristol, Uk were you? Your name rings a bell.

Dave

Ross Cobb (Organist and Director of Music, St Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney) to St John’s Cathedral to give the next recital in this year’s Twilight International Organ Series. Ross studied at the Guildhall School of Music, the Royal Academy of Music, and King's College London (where he was an assistant to the late David Trendell), and was the first Thalben-Ball Organ Scholar at St Michael's, Cornhill. He was later Director of Music at Christ Church Clifton in Bristol, and St Barnabas' Kensington in London. In 2005, Ross relocated to Sydney to take up the position of Organist and Director of Music at St Andrew's Cathedral.

14 hours ago, ross cobb said:

Hi Dave, erm, I would have just said yes!
Are you Brizzle-based?
Ross

Hi Ross. Yes I am and I was thinking of Christ Church, Clifton but I have just noticed that Peter Allison mentioned that in his post. I remember the organ at Christ Church as being a nice instrument and I also remember Wayne Marshall's recital on it some years back (can't recall when!) which included a round of variations on the theme from "The Flintstones". Hope you are enjoying life in Aus.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve just had a look at the job spec. £15,000 for 20 hours per week for a top class, highly experienced allround musician, organist, conductor, manager and administrator with a list of skills, duties and responsibilities as long as your arm. Presumably a graduate with an FRCO. All for around £15 an hour. For that you can get a job in London as a handyperson, a door-to-door fundraiser for Shelter, a labourer, a mini-cab supervisor, or a housekeeper (all advertised on Gumtree). The Shelter advert actually says: “Ideal for Performing Arts Graduates!” 

Super flumina Babylonis ibi sedimus et flevimus.

2 hours ago, ross cobb said:

That salary really is rather wicked for the church to offer. The Diocese should be ashamed.

Birmingham Cathedral are advertising for a Head of Music, a full time position and they are paying £33,000. No accommodation is offered. I won't work out the Mathematics but I would imagine that equates to very little more - if anything!

There was a move, largely successful, by the Cathedral Organists Association some years ago, to bring organists' salaries into line with those paid to residentiary canons.  I don't know if the same principle still applies.  Of course, the two posts are not completely comparable, as clergy tend to have a lot of perks and expenses which organists don't, whereas organists may make a nice little extra sum from concerts and pupils.

One cathedral, while raising the organist's salary to that of a residentiary canon, stopped paying him fees for weddings and funerals. However, the assistant did get paid for such of these services as he accompanied, so he ended up doing all of them....

• 1 month later...