142 replies to this topic

#141 DaveHarries

DaveHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:55 PM

If I were a betting man (I’m not), I’d put my money on a certain M. Olivier.

Yes he would be a good bet: I heard his recital at Worcester Cathedral a couple of years back, the first time I had ever heard him play live, and it was absolutely fabulous. Richard Lea and Carol Williams I have never heard live although I have heard CW on YouTube and think she plays very well.

Dave

#142 Barry Oakley

Barry Oakley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:57 AM

There are so many good organists to choose from. From a Catholic perspective, James Norrey, presently on the staff at Rochester Cathedral, is a very talented young organist. I have wondered about David Patrick, an excellent recitalist and he made an outstanding recording on the former organ at Buckfast. But why look outside when there’s Buckfast’s Richard Lea? Thanks to Spotify I recently listened to his exciting recording on Liverpool Met’s fine Walker organ in Priory’s Great European Organs series. Carol Williams has told me she has much liking for Ruffatti’s output and she could play a wide spectrum of organ music although this might get some looking down their noses.

#143 DHM

DHM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:08 PM

From a Catholic perspective, James Norrey, presently on the staff at Rochester Cathedral, is a very talented young organist. 

As one of the choir directors at Rochester I would wholeheartedly second that.

He is a brilliant liturgical organist and a pleasure to work with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users