33 replies to this topic

#21 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

Another couple of interesting solutions - one big and one small. Does anyone have experience of this 'either/or' method of stop control?

http://www.grenzing....d=211&ip=211211

http://www.noackorga...ments/?opus=161

PS The Noack site currently explains the stop control selection in this latter instrument in its 'news' section.

A
"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

#22 Gwas Bach

Gwas Bach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:39 PM

To go on a slightly different tack, the instrument that used to be in Selwyn College Chapel before the Létourneau organ is still redundant after 10 years.  What is/was it like?  It says on NPOR that it was a rebuild of an organ by Holdich.

#23 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

Not sure about this one but I for one did not find the 1975 H&H that in place there before it a very pleasant instrument to listen to - there seems to have been a relatively quick succession of instruments there.

A

"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

#24 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:33 PM

The Flentrop at Sidney Sussex is now apparently in and dedicated. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has heard/played it how it comes across.

A

#25 sjf1967

sjf1967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

I played in the first inauguration event yesterday - David Titterington (consultant) is playing the opening public recital this evening and I'll be playing a concert in the first series next year. It's very fine indeed. A varied and colourful specification, beautifully scaled for the chapel, and a subtle and responsive action too. A lot of organ has been fitted into a very modest space ad the demands of accompaniment haven't been overlooked - it made a lovely job of Parry's Hear my Words sung the by the excellent chapel choir. Plans are in progress for regular recitals in the next 12-18 months so there will be plenty of chances to hear it. And I'd be surprised if a recording doesn't happen once the instrument has settled in a bit. 

#26 Deinonychus

Deinonychus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:39 PM

Not sure about this one but I for one did not find the 1975 H&H that in place there before it a very pleasant instrument to listen to - there seems to have been a relatively quick succession of instruments there.

A

The H&H is now in the Younger Hall in St Andrews, where I have played it. It is a truly bizarre specification and one struggles to find a rationale for it. The pedal looks substantial but is weak and incapable of sustaining an independent line, while the only swell reed is a 16' and thus rather useless. This whole is made even more disappointing by the fact that the organ itself is a pleasure to play with a wonderfully responsive action.

#27 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for both of these - good to hear positive things about the Flentrop.

A

#28 Philip J Wells

Philip J Wells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:56 AM

The H&H is now in the Younger Hall in St Andrews, where I have played it. It is a truly bizarre specification and one struggles to find a rationale for it. The pedal looks substantial but is weak and incapable of sustaining an independent line, while the only swell reed is a 16' and thus rather useless. This whole is made even more disappointing by the fact that the organ itself is a pleasure to play with a wonderfully responsive action.

Is there confusion here between Selwyn and Sidney Sussex?

#29 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

Is there confusion here between Selwyn and Sidney Sussex?

Selwyn popped up in a continuing discussion above.

A

#30 DaveHarries

DaveHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:50 PM

On that Grenzing link I would love to know what a "110" is.

Dave

#31 innate

innate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

On that Grenzing link I would love to know what a "110" is.

Dave

I’d put a fiver on “Clarinette”.

#32 Martin Owen

Martin Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:09 PM

Does anyone have specification details of the new Sidney Sussex organ?  I can't find it on their website.  Those I know who have heard or played it say it is fantastic.  David Titterington echoes their sentiments in telling me that is beautifully voiced for the chapel.

Martin

#33 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:31 PM

http://www.flentrop...._suss_coll.html

A

#34 Gwas Bach

Gwas Bach

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

There's a picture of the Sidney Sussex organ in the factory here:-

http://www.orgelnieu...jdens-open-dag/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users