Mander Organ Builders Forum

New organ for Cambridge

AJJ

Not sure about this one but I for one did not find the 1975 H&H that in place there before it a very pleasant instrument to listen to - there seems to have been a relatively quick succession of instruments there.

A

The H&H is now in the Younger Hall in St Andrews, where I have played it. It is a truly bizarre specification and one struggles to find a rationale for it. The pedal looks substantial but is weak and incapable of sustaining an independent line, while the only swell reed is a 16' and thus rather useless. This whole is made even more disappointing by the fact that the organ itself is a pleasure to play with a wonderfully responsive action.

The H&H is now in the Younger Hall in St Andrews, where I have played it. It is a truly bizarre specification and one struggles to find a rationale for it. The pedal looks substantial but is weak and incapable of sustaining an independent line, while the only swell reed is a 16' and thus rather useless. This whole is made even more disappointing by the fact that the organ itself is a pleasure to play with a wonderfully responsive action.

Is there confusion here between Selwyn and Sidney Sussex?

Does anyone have specification details of the new Sidney Sussex organ? I can't find it on their website. Those I know who have heard or played it say it is fantastic. David Titterington echoes their sentiments in telling me that is beautifully voiced for the chapel.

Martin