Mander Organ Builders Forum

Strange notices, signs, or tuning book comments?

churchmouse

I have a 'Beware of the Organist' sign on the door of my study. It's quite a nice thing made of cast resin and nicely painted, and they are probably fairly common as it was advertised on ebay. More to the point, I've also seen one in a church but cannot recall which one. I could post a picture of it in theory, but unfortunately do not know how to do it on this forum (I've tried before and given up).

Its provenance is possibly from the pop music side of things, deriving from the traditional antipathy (real or imagined or just hyped-up) between guitarists and keyboard players. But it might be something to consider for your book.

CEP

Oscar Wilde is credited with saying,"Please do not shoot the pianist. He is doing his best". He was probably quoting from an old notice which said:

Non occidete pulsator organum; ut optimum faciat.
( Pray you do not shoot the organist for he doeth his best )

I have a 'Beware of the Organist' sign on the door of my study. It's quite a nice thing made of cast resin and nicely painted, and they are probably fairly common as it was advertised on ebay. More to the point, I've also seen one in a church but cannot recall which one. I could post a picture of it in theory, but unfortunately do not know how to do it on this forum (I've tried before and given up).

Its provenance is possibly from the pop music side of things, deriving from the traditional antipathy (real or imagined or just hyped-up) between guitarists and keyboard players. But it might be something to consider for your book.

CEP

Thanks Colin!! In fact I have even made these - especially nice as doormats. Symbolic, methinks.... :-)

This is not really about notices but since it concerns my search for gems for the next anecdote book, it fits in. I came across this image of a stop knob coupler which looks amazingly real or else is a very clever use of photoshop. I want to trace either the stop or the creator of the image for use in the book. Anyone got any ideas?

And thanks to everyone who is chipping in with contributions and oddities - keep them coming!

UPDATE: Source found! Yay. One more ticked off the list. Thanks to all.

• 2 weeks later...

According to David Coram in this post (last sentence), it's in Bournemouth.

Paul

PS, further research finds that it was created by pcnd of this parish.

It was indeed, Paul.

I have just (tonight) sent Jenny the information which she requested.

When the Minster organ is finally restored, I am having another just like it ('Choir to Pub'). I shall also be installing a further stop, labelled 'Pulpit Trapdoor'.

And I'm having it connected.

Incidentally: 'formerly of this parish' - unless you mean this board. (I have been back at the Minster for coming on eighteen years.)

• 2 weeks later...