4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Butler

Andrew Butler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:48 AM

Apologies if this has been discussed recently, but if so I missed it... 

Mention has been made in a private discussiob on Facebook, that the Grove organ is in "poor condition and looks unused"  Can anyone comment please?  There is no indication that I can see on the Abbey website that the organ is not in use...

#2 Colin Pykett

Colin Pykett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:05 PM

With apologies, I can't answer this question, but there is a characteristically interesting take on the organs at Tewkesbury by Stephen Bicknell at:

http://www.stephenbi...l.org/3.5.3.php

CEP

"You can never know everything about something. But you can always know something about everything" - Amit Kumar

www.pykett.org.uk

#3 Christopher Allsop

Christopher Allsop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:32 AM

I don't know if Carleton Etherington is on this Forum to give a more fullsome update, but I did have a quick play on the Grove during the Summer. Although the instrument still sounds astonishing, it doesn't take long to discover quite a few notes off and wind escapes. Wonderful and unique to play and hear, but I wouldn't want to try and give a recital on it at the moment...

#4 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:45 AM

Bishop & Son restored it in 1980/81, the only alteration being the addition of the bottom 5 32' pipes from Chirst Church, Oxford.  After 35 years, it's quite likely that the action (if I remember rightly, it's a mixture of tubular, Barker and tracker) would need further overhaul.

#5 Andrew Butler

Andrew Butler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for all the info.  I've now forgotten who raised the matter, prompting my question in the first place!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users