5 replies to this topic

#1 David Drinkell

David Drinkell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

Elspeth and I sang in a concert last night with the University of New Brunswick Chorale - they needed a few extra voices to pad them out a bit.  One of the items was a setting of the Lord's Prayer by a composer who had come to live here in Fredericton after the last war, having been a refugee.  At the top of the copies, it said "Text: Unknown".  

Slightly odd, if you think about it....

#2 John Robinson

John Robinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Location:I am a missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:12 PM

Elspeth and I sang in a concert last night with the University of New Brunswick Chorale - they needed a few extra voices to pad them out a bit.  One of the items was a setting of the Lord's Prayer by a composer who had come to live here in Fredericton after the last war, having been a refugee.  At the top of the copies, it said "Text: Unknown".  

Slightly odd, if you think about it....

Oh, I thought that was a certain Jesus of Nazareth, if memory serves.  Perhaps God doesn't count when it comes to composing texts, and I'm sure that he wouldn't contest anyone trying to ignore his copyright!

#3 Stephen Barber

Stephen Barber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

Well, copyright expires 70 years after the year of death. So that could be the next difficult debate for the Supreme Court judges!

#4 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:49 AM

For the aetheist it's all poppycock and the (long-expired) copyright lies with some anonymous, pre-historic yarn-spinner. From that point of view, the attribution is perfectly reasonable - but of course you knew that really. :)

#5 innate

innate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

The 1662 Book of Common Prayer and the KJV are Crown Copyright in the UK in perpetuity, I believe.

#6 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:37 PM

So they are. Mea culpa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users