11 replies to this topic

#1 headcase

headcase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

Just came across this fine looking instrument on the NPOR, by Aubertin.   Must be only a few miles from me, yet I knew nothing of it. Anyone else know about it ?

http://www.npor.org.....html?RI=M00005

#2 AJJ

AJJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:27 PM

The home of two acomplished musicians.

A
"…We can’t criticize the organ for being boring. In such cases it is the organist that is boring. There is no such thing as a boring organ."

#3 sjf1967

sjf1967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

Yes, I've played it; it's not 'to be' installed, it's aready in and has been for some months now. It's very fine indeed - visually and sonically. It's in a purpose built music room with top notch acoustic design. More than that it's up to the owners to tell you, but I'll let them know it's been spotted.....

#4 philipmgwright

philipmgwright

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

Any reason why the NPOR stoplist does not exactly tally with the Aubertin labelling?

#5 firstrees

firstrees

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

sjf1967: I have two questions, which do not ask you to divulge ‘sensitive’ info.

What does the Dulcineau sound like ? Do you know if there are any plans to release recordings of this wonderful looker – even if just on YouTube ?

This must be one of the largest organs built for private clients in recent years. I am sure members will be able to expand on this.

#6 Tony Newnham

Tony Newnham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

Any reason why the NPOR stoplist does not exactly tally with the Aubertin labelling?

Hi

Probably because the information NPOR was given differs from what's actually on the stops!  A common problem.

#7 sjf1967

sjf1967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

Dulcineau (Dulcimeau. perhaps - I think NPOR may be wrong with this name) - as I recall (it was some months ago and I had a lively toddler with me) it's quite a gentle register. A fuller version of a Voix Humaine maybe, quite 'vocal' in conception.

Recordings - I think I can say that this is not entirely out of the question. But it won't be for quite a while yet.

#8 firstrees

firstrees

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Thank you, sjf1967. I’d assumed it was more Cromorne-esque, to complement the mainly French Baroque/Classical specification. Especially since there’s a Voix Humaine on the Positif.

And, I’ve just noticed by zooming: is there some kind of swelling device on the right hand side, above the pedal-board ?

#9 sjf1967

sjf1967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

Yes, for the third manual stops. Like St John's Oxford.

#10 mrbouffant

mrbouffant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

This Wiki page gives details - so it is hardly a secret...: https://en.wikipedia...Griffiths_(CEO)

organista and sometime software engineer...

#11 Contrabombarde

Contrabombarde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:28 PM

More about the extraordinary talents of the proud owner of this wonderful instrument here, who just happens to be a Vice President of the Royal College of Organists in addition to running one of the world's busiest airports:

http://gulfnews.com/...ports-1.1041977

Total respect!

#12 sjf1967

sjf1967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:21 AM

Joanna March Griffiths is also a very fine composer. She's written some excellent organ solo works, among many other things, which are worth anyone's time. She's also done a huge amount to promote music in the UAE in general.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users