10 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Cooke

Martin Cooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

An Easter highlight for me was the Easter Hymn from Cavaleria Rusticana from King's on Saturday night. This is not a piece of music that has ever come my way until now. A piano transcription on IMSLP works reasonably easily on the organ and I look forward to including it in the Easter diet next year. A tweet came my way praising Ashley Grote's arrangement of Lord of the Dance which was broadcast from Norwich on Easter morning. I heard it in the car as I journeyed to my first service of the day and it sounded most exciting and worth 'listening again' to.

#2 Martin Cooke

Martin Cooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

A tweet came my way praising Ashley Grote's arrangement of Lord of the Dance which was broadcast from Norwich on Easter morning... it sounded most exciting and worth 'listening again' to.

Blowed if I can find it in on iplayer though. 

#3 handsoff

handsoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

I heard it too - a very fine arrangement of the song.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b08m93mg

...should find it.

Another sort of tweet follows the service - the yellow wagtail on the BBC "Tweet of the Day" programme!

Wanted Quantum Physicist, Dead and Alive

#4 Colin Pykett

Colin Pykett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

An Easter highlight for me was the Easter Hymn from Cavaleria Rusticana from King's on Saturday night.

Completely agree.  In fact it was not until after Songs of Praise the following day that I realised quite how wonderful the whole Kings service was in comparison.

CEP

"You can never know everything about something. But you can always know something about everything" - Amit Kumar

www.pykett.org.uk

#5 Martin Cooke

Martin Cooke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

The arrangement is published by Stainer and Bell. The whole Norwich service sounded great, I thought. 

#6 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

I thought the Easter Hymn outstanding. It really suited the choir and the soprano soloist was superb.  I noticed the divided pedal in use near the end.

Another highlight for me was the soloist in RVW's "Love bade me welcome". He really got to the heart of the words and his diction was crystal clear. Some notes were a cent or two below pitch to my ears, but not enough to spoil my enjoyment. I also liked the descant to the final hymn: simple and effective.

#7 Andrew Butler

Andrew Butler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

I always enjoy KCC's offerings - how refreshing to read positive comments for a change!!  I can't quite put my finger on why, but I must confess to finding the plainsong Passion Gospel a slightly weak link though... 

Regarding the organ - has anything been done to the big Swell 8' Reed (can't remember if it's a Trumpet, Horn, or whatever)?  It seems much more evident now...

#8 Contra-Vuvuzela

Contra-Vuvuzela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Agree with the thoughts re. KCC Easter service- superb! But am wondering; was this service filmed last year? Some of the current choir are not in it.

#9 James Bradley

James Bradley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:46 AM

Filmed in December alongside Carols at Kings, I believe.

#10 Contra-Vuvuzela

Contra-Vuvuzela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

Thanks. The KCC December schedule must be quite eye-wartering!

#11 iy45

iy45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

There's a famous old recording of the Easter Hymn in which the organ is played by Denis Brain FRCO.

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users