Mander Organ Builders Forum

Newcastle

DHM

Am I right in thinking that a firm based near Besançon is building a new organ for an educational establishment in Newcastle?

I have seen a public tender document online which names the establishment and the builder.

Several French media report this as a fact, that Bernard Aubertin is busy building the instrument, but don't give any details. Nice that this is happening, as when the previous Nigel Church organ was removed there was concern that there appeared to be no plans for its replacement. As it's for a hall rather than a chapel, and they have a decent recital programme there, it will certainly be interesting.

https://rcf.fr/culture/la-manufacture-dorgue-aubertin-courtefontaine-un-bilan-detape

http://www.jura-nord.com/actualite/manufacture-dorgues-aubertin-un-nouvel-orgue-en-construction-pour-langleterre

Thanks, both. That does indeed confirm what I thought was being referred to.
But I was surprised not to have seen it publicly announced or discussed (e.g. on this board).

I have many memories of the old organ, none of them good. . . I remember trying to practice on it in the early '90s and regularly giving up as it constantly ciphered. I forget what temperament it was tuned to but given the roles it had to fulfil I didn't find it pleasant.

There isn't much space there so it will be interesting to see the design.

• 4 months later...

Curious specification. What would be the purpose of a 4/5 mutation on the Positive? Why two flutes on the Great (plus Principal)? And are there any rules around what fractions mutations are written at - on the Great there's a 3 foot twelve, yet on the Positive an octave higher is a larigot at 1/1/3 not 1/1/2.

When other essentials are fulfilled (which they seem to be in the context of this sort of organ),  I could believe that an octave tierce would be quite a useful thing to have.  There's one at Durham Cathedral, although that's big enough to have everything else and to spare....

38 minutes ago, Contrabombarde said:

Curious specification. What would be the purpose of a 4/5 mutation on the Positive? Why two flutes on the Great (plus Principal)? And are there any rules around what fractions mutations are written at - on the Great there's a 3 foot twelve, yet on the Positive an octave higher is a larigot at 1/1/3 not 1/1/2.

I can imagine the high Tierce rank giving an almost cymbale quality to the Positive plenum, and adding a useful piquancy to solo combinations.

Is a Suavial a flute? I always thought it a string, perhaps like a Geigen principal.

3' used to be standard for a twelfth, even on some mid-late C19 English organs. For higher mutations you need a more specific fraction to tell the difference between a 17th and a 19th, I suppose.

Somewhere or other Nigel Allcoat has written that one needs to judge the various effects on an Aubertin with ones’s ears rather than trying to apply expected stoplist conventions. My experiences at S. louis en L’Ile in Paris certainly supports this point.

A

2 hours ago, AJJ said:

Somewhere or other Nigel Allcoat has written that one needs to judge the various effects on an Aubertin with ones’s ears rather than trying to apply expected stoplist conventions. My experiences at S. louis en L’Ile in Paris certainly supports this point.

A

That’s absolutely true, and not just for Aubertin organs. But this forum would be even duller if we weren’t allowed to speculate based on stoplists. Aubertin himself mentions an organ providing all the essential stops for eg French classical repertoire, so I think discussion along those lines is legitimate.

On 07/11/2017 at 21:49, David Drinkell said:

When other essentials are fulfilled (which they seem to be in the context of this sort of organ),  I could believe that an octave tierce would be quite a useful thing to have.  There's one at Durham Cathedral, although that's big enough to have everything else and to spare....

The 4/5 at Durham is actually VERY cunning and provides an alternative Cornet on the positive to that provided by the Flute a Cheminee 8, Flute Ouverte 4, Doublette 2 and Sesquialtera. Selecting the Prestant 4, Doublette 2, Larigot 1 1/3, Octivin 1 and Octave Tierce 4/5 and then drawing Positive on Solo transfers the division onto the Solo where the Solo Sub Octave and Unison Off take it down to 8 foot pitch. Drawing Solo to Choir puts it back down on the choir too...... Ingenious if you ask me. 

On 14/11/2017 at 23:20, Charles Wooler said:

The 4/5 at Durham is actually VERY cunning and provides an alternative Cornet on the positive to that provided by the Flute a Cheminee 8, Flute Ouverte 4, Doublette 2 and Sesquialtera. Selecting the Prestant 4, Doublette 2, Larigot 1 1/3, Octivin 1 and Octave Tierce 4/5 and then drawing Positive on Solo transfers the division onto the Solo where the Solo Sub Octave and Unison Off take it down to 8 foot pitch. Drawing Solo to Choir puts it back down on the choir too...... Ingenious if you ask me. 

Conrad was a clever man in 71, ish lol