4 replies to this topic

#1 Henry Willis

Henry Willis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

I wonder if any member of the forum is able to provide details of any organ built by the Norman & Beard firm, during any period of its existence,  in which an independent Tierce (17th) appears on the Great,  or which was supposed to have had one listed in the original specification but subsequently not included?

I ask as I have just seen advertising material announcing that the grand old 1909 N&B Ashton Hall organ of Lancaster Town Hall has had a 17th added to the Great (apparently on a direct-electric chest high above the other Great pipework and rather haughtily referred to as "a mounted 17th"!) and which was supposed to have been originally intended but subsequently omitted.

DW

#2 Colin Pykett

Colin Pykett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Not quite sure whether you meant to include Hill, Norman & Beard, but if so:

Guard's Chapel, Wellington Barracks, 1920 & 1971

Wymondham Abbey, 1954

Exeter College Chapel, Oxford, 1967

St Asaph Cathedral, 1966

Llandaff Cathedral, 1958

Almost certainly not a complete list though.

CEP

#3 Henry Willis

Henry Willis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

No,  just pure N&B  1909.  

The organ has always been said to be being "Restored" and if this is the case I'm a little puzzled at the suggestion that any N&B organ of that particular period would have had an independent 17th on the Great.  Personally I think that it's nonsense but am willing to be proved wrong.

Thanks for the list above Colin, but H.N&B was a totally different animal I think (especially from the 1950 onwards).

DW

#4 Philip J Wells

Philip J Wells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

I expect you have already tried an NPOR search as I did without success.  [I used the name of the builder, set the in-between dates (so as not to get HN&B ) and then the Tierce stop and then searched].  It actually shows that the recording of specifications could be improved.  When there is only one record which gives the latest spec it is often difficult to work out what the original spec was.  However, as a resource based on voluntary effort I think we would all miss it if it was not there.     

#5 undamaris

undamaris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

There's nothing on the AHORP website which I find surprising. I'd have thought something of this importance would have been made public through that, never mind word of mouth. Lancaster may be a city but word gets around pretty quickly! Maybe I've just not been paying attention lately!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users