#321 Tony Newnham

Tony Newnham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hi

The recording of the talk Colin  mentions is available to EOCS members.  I remastered the original recording a few months ago.

Every Blessing

Tony

#322 MusingMuso

MusingMuso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:38 PM

Many thanks to Dr Colin Pykett for this information, with which I have just caught up.  

Leslie Bourn has been difficult to pin down, though I know where he lived when he was working at Compton's.

I don't know whether Colin knows or not, but there was quite spat between A H Midgely and Leslie Bourn, and somewhere among my files, I have more details. A H MIdgely had also been working on electronic organ technology, and after leaving Compton, he engaged in a bit of a bitter printed diatribe, claiming that Bourn had not developed anything new, but had merely re-worked his (A H MIdgely's)  technology and claimed them as his own.

I believe Bourn's name and that of the Compton both appear on the patents, and if what A H Midgely suggested was true, it is not difficult to imagine that A H Midgely position was untenable.

It's all a bit vague at the moment, but in due course, I will get to grips with the electronic ventures.

I love the bit about Hope-Jone's brother and the source of those Latin organ-stop names.

MM

#323 Colin Pykett

Colin Pykett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:12 AM

Another member of this forum, who visited me only yesterday as a matter of fact, probably knows as much as anyone about the Electrone story and the personalities involved with it.  Though if there is anything he doesn't know, he probably knows a man who does.  In fact the purpose of his visit was to relieve me of some related Compton bits and pieces which have been occupying the garage for some while.  I could PM MM privately if he wishes, but will not prolong this here because it's getting rather off the topic of pipe organs, even though it is still relevant to the doings of a pipe organ builder.  (MM may well know my friend anyway).

CEP

"You can never know everything about something. But you can always know something about everything" - Amit Kumar

www.pykett.org.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users