Mander Organ Builders Forum

Here Wicks Goes Again....

alex.hendrickson

I have in my posession a 4' "Non-Conical" Gemshorn by Roosevelt, it was previously installed in St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Washington D.C.

The sound is very, very convincing, especially in the first 3 octaves. What they did to create they sound was that they used a very narrow mouth with a somewhat low cut-up, which produces that abundance of even-numbered upper partials. Heavy nicking was also put in place, it has that subtle hissing sound created by the air running across all the nicks...

Alex

Yes you are very correct, Roosevelt is very valuable, some put a higher price on their work than Moller or Aeolian Skinner, last time I checked, there are only around 90 Roosevelt organs still residing in the U.S., with only around 50 of them in working condition.

I've also got a Roosevelt 56 note 16' Bourdon, which was revoiced (it had flaps of pipe metal put over the mouths to lower cut-up) to act as a Quintaten. It's from the same organ as the Gemshorn, from the best I can tell it was in the pedal at 16'-8'-4' pitch. In addition to that I have a Geigen Octave 4', Super Octave 2', Larigot 1 1/3', and a Fifteenth 2' all from the same organ.

~Alex~

Well, that's already six Roosevelt's stops ; enough to have something build round them, isn't it? 50 Roosevelt's organs left in working order, this would be rather excellent news, but are there still (more or less) in original condition?

Are there recordings available?

Best wishes,

Pierre Lauwers.

Guest Geoff McMahon

On my screen, the pipe does actually look as if it is very slightly tapered. As it is of small scale, you cannot taper it very much as that affects the speech too much. We do some Gamba stops where the first six notes are not tapered at all, but then gradually get more taper as one goes up the scale. It is probable that this one pipe came from such a stop, so the term Spitz Principal may actually be correct.

Let's not be too critical of other builders' work on this discussion board. This pipe in particular is from some time ago.

John Pike Mander