Mander Organ Builders Forum

Llandaff

jfdg

I have never found a website for Nicholson's which might have contained the information we thirst for in terms of spec, retained casework, action etc. In the absence of this does anyone know who the consultant might be (if there is one of course) and what the timescale is for completion.

I imagine that they will use Welsh lottery money again for this as most Welsh Cathedrals seem to have benefitted from this source of funding (unlike the English - remember the St Pauls London snub).

PJW

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never found a website for Nicholson's which might have contained the information we thirst for in terms of spec, retained casework, action etc. In the absence of this does anyone know who the consultant might be (if there is one of course) and what the timescale is for completion.

I imagine that they will use Welsh lottery money again for this as most Welsh Cathedrals seem to have benefitted from this source of funding (unlike the English - remember the St Pauls London snub).

PJW

Hi

I'm pretty sure Nicholson's don't have a web site - I've searched several times, looking to check or add info for NPOR surveys.

But then, websites are not much help if they are not kept up to date anyway, and a number of organ builders don't have details of recent instruments on their sites, let alone proposals for organs not yet built.

Every Blessing

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Psalm 78 v.67

I understand from a friend in the Llandaff Girls Choir that the organ has broken down completely (in her words it's "broken"!) - anyone know more please?

I understand from a friend in the Llandaff Girls Choir that the organ has broken down completely (in her words it's "broken"!) - anyone know more please?

The Cathedral was struck by lightning a few weeks ago - all the electrics melted and damage to the control systems of the organ is reckoned to be fairly irretrievable. As a temp measure the Cathedral are hiring a big Rodgers [3 man]. It arrives today. Hopefully this will add impetus to the commissioning of a new instrument....

The Cathedral was struck by lightning a few weeks ago - all the electrics melted and damage to the control systems of the organ is reckoned to be fairly irretrievable.

I spoke with the tuner about it a few days ago. Apparently the note actions are working OK but ALL the stops are permanently on ! So maybe not irretrievable ?

H

Guest Cynic
I spoke with the tuner about it a few days ago. Apparently the note actions are working OK but ALL the stops are permanently on ! So maybe not irretrievable ?

H

One can admire the fine instincts of some members of this forum - trying to preserve worthy instruments from the past, but IMHO the Llandaff organ is not one of those!

This organ has been both a liability and an embarassment for several years. Even loyal (past) cathedral organists themselves have been desperately keen to replace it.... that lightening can only have been a final sign that this instrument has no future. If this sign helps reinforce a sound decision to replace the instrument virtually in toto, then it is a blessing in disguise.

There are (of course) some worthy ranks of pipes in the present organ that may be used again; a sensible firm might well make good use of them along with supplying a good new action and a large quantity of new pipework.

Even the most dedicated conservationist who studies the history and has heard the instrument in the last ten or more years would have to agree that any investment made to revive the recently damaged action is throwing good money after bad.

• 3 weeks later...
I retell an account I received from the late Father Charles Watson (one-time organ-building monk of Prinknash Abbey). He was a good buddy of John Sanders - a great deal of mutual respect etc. etc. and I have no reason whatsoever to doubt the veracity of what he said:

At the time that the HN&B rebuild was going on, Father Charles lent a one-manual mechanical action organ of five or six stops to the cathedral. HN&B's men tuned it when it got there and some bright spark hung a small microphone inside it to assist dissemination of tone around the huge space. It sounded very well indeed.

When the time came to take the 'Watson' organ away, John Sanders confided to Fr.Charles

'Now I've got all these Tierces and things, what on earth am I supposed to do with them?'

When did Fr Watson die, Paul? I'm told his obituary was in yesterday's daily Telegraph (not seen it myself) and I found this on the net.

• 3 months later...
Hi

I'm pretty sure Nicholson's don't have a web site - I've searched several times, looking to check or add info for NPOR surveys.

But then, websites are not much help if they are not kept up to date anyway, and a number of organ builders don't have details of recent instruments on their sites, let alone proposals for organs not yet built.

Every Blessing

Tony

Did you try this URL?? B)

Hi

Thanks for this - I think it's a fairly new site -probably still a work in progress as there are no links on the portfolio page. I've added it to my bookmarks.

Every Blessing

Tony

Ofcourse it's relatively new; funny though, that it popped up on a french forum (actually Pierre's) before it's known here...

Please could we start a new site after 100 replies - this is No. 115!

FF

Ha! A mere slip of a post, Frank! The main Worcester Cathedral Organ thread achieved five hundred and ten posts before we finally got bored with it.

Oh God - I probably should not have mentioned that topic....

• 3 months later...