Mander Organ Builders Forum

Hereford Cathedral

nfortin

I'm writing this fresh from the experiece of conducting my church choir at choral evensong at Hereford. I was fortunate enough to accompany the RSCM Cathedral Singers (Midlanld and South West) at Hereford only a couple of months ago. Granted the swell organ is a little deep set and actually sounds better in the organ loft than in the quire or nave, but what an organ! Its also very comfortable to play at the fabulous Willis console.

Is there a better organ upon which to accompany choral evensong it the UK? Discuss....

I'm writing this fresh from the experiece of conducting my church choir at choral evensong at Hereford. I was fortunate enough to accompany the RSCM Cathedral Singers (Midlanld and South West) at Hereford only a couple of months ago. Granted the swell organ is a little deep set and actually sounds better in the organ loft than in the quire or nave, but what an organ! Its also very comfortable to play at the fabulous Willis console.

Is there a better organ upon which to accompany choral evensong it the UK? Discuss....

The Hereford Organ is a gem ! I recently attended the opening recital by Roy Massey following the complete refurbishment by Harrison's of 2004. I can tell u the sound is even brighter and a lot more responsive. There was one or two tweaks by Harrison's. That being the Tuba has been louden slightly and the 32's have had the wind pressures restored. Don't know what they were before ? The instrument once again is in first class working order. Just one minor quibble the console bench will have to be french polished again as it appears to be badly marked by someone getting on and off the organ bench.