Mander Organ Builders Forum

Royal Albert Hall

alan taylor

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not realy know any other web sites that I could use.

Probably best to wait until you hear from John.

Colin Richell

I have now had an opportunity to talk to John Mander, and we both feel that blogging software (eg "Blogger") would fulfill your requirements far better than posting here. You can start a blog with/on Google - free and extraordinarily easy to use -

http://www.blogger.com/start?hl=en

- and have your own comments section there. On this board, you could post a link to your blog.

Mander Organs webmaster

RE Royal Albert HALL Recital.

I notice someone said  that they preferred live concerts to CDs. I have a different sort of problem.

I used to belong to the organ club, but I have perfect pitch.

Some churches were excellent, but I am sorry to say that others either had some sort of problem, or had not been tuned before the visit.

I  found the Albert Hall to be fine on the two occasions I went there.

I have never yet found a CD or Tape that has been recorded when the organ was not in tune.

What are other people's views on this.

I am puzzled - did you have to cease membership of The Organ Club because of this problem?

As Rev. Newnham intimates, it is, in any case, relative. Standard (or if you prefer, 'concert') pitch was re-defined at least three times in the last century. Arguably, it may be more correct to use the term 'remembered pitch'. I, too, have a good sense of pitch (particularly useful when improvising, but a confounded nuisance when transposing). However, to call it 'perfect pitch' is, in my opinion, confusing since this term carries at least some implications of inherited ability. Clearly, with the re-setting of 'concert pitch' in the last century, this would cause some problems.

Whilst I am pleased that you have not yet experienced recordings of organs which are not in a state of 'just intonation', I can only suggest that you explore recordings of French organs. For that matter, I have a few recordings of English cathedral organs which are less than perfect. For example an old Michael Smythe recording of the Hill/H&H at Peterborough Cathedral - the final track (I believe) is the Bossi Entrée Pontificale. The last chord or two has a really unpleasant treble E on the Tuba - which is odd, since it would have been about five or ten minutes' work to re-tune the pipe, either at the slot or at the tongue - (cans of worms march past the window). There is also one of the recordings which was made by Naji Hakim on the C-C at Sacré-Coeur, which was described in Organists' Review (possibly by Paul Hale) as having 'particularly poisonous' tuning.

Sometimes it is a winding problem - as on my 'own' instrument. It is hoped that a restoration will address this problem. However, since there appears to be no correct solution to every case, I am unsure as to whether it would be better to replace the present concussions with new Schwimmers, or wheter to replace one or two of them with small double-rise reservoirs.

Any thoughts will be received with interest.

I am unsure as to whether it would be better to replace the present concussions with new Schwimmers, or wheter to replace one or two of them with small double-rise reservoirs.

Any thoughts will be received with interest.

If it's the instrument I THINK you mean, I would make some very clever Schwimmers that will save room in the case & keep the whole thing solid as a rock. I would enable the GO and Recit to be bypassed or slackened by a console switch for some truly French sounds. Perhaps a tremblant fort as well?

• 2 months later...

Hmmm, interesting....

I have heard rumours, too, of a return by Simon Preston and of a recital at Winchester Cathedral by him later this year.

Hmmmmm!!

But good news. I have a few of his recordings but have never heard him in the flesh. So I'm glad there's a new opportunity to hear him again.

Hmmm, interesting....

I have heard rumours, too, of a return by Simon Preston and of a recital at Winchester Cathedral by him later this year.

Hmmmmm!!

But good news. I have a few of his recordings but have never heard him in the flesh. So I'm glad there's a new opportunity to hear him again.

I too am a bit of a Simon Preston fan, currently trying to find copies of his Decca/Argo LPs of recordings made at Hull City Hall, Colston Hall, Westminster Abbey and King's in the 1960s, since the likelihood of Decca ever transferring these recordings to CD is nigh on zilch.

I had thought his somewhat underwhelming RFH recital in 2005 to be his last in the UK. However, he has confirmed forthcoming recitals at Symphony Hall, Birmingham (with Hakan Hardenberger, trumpet) on 6 April and Winchester Cathedral on 2 May (check their websites). As for the RAH, it's not much but on page 80 of the current edition of Organists Review under 'Association News', the East Surrey Association lists "June 30 - Simon Preston recital at the RAH". I wonder....

I too am a bit of a Simon Preston fan, currently trying to find copies of his Decca/Argo LPs of recordings made at Hull City Hall, Colston Hall, Westminster Abbey and King's in the 1960s, since the likelihood of Decca ever transferring these recordings to CD is nigh on zilch.

I had thought his somewhat underwhelming RFH recital in 2005 to be his last in the UK. However, he has confirmed forthcoming recitals at Symphony Hall, Birmingham (with Hakan Hardenberger, trumpet) on 6 April and Winchester Cathedral on 2 May (check their websites). As for the RAH, it's not much but on page 80 of the current edition of Organists Review under 'Association News', the East Surrey Association lists "June 30 - Simon Preston recital at the RAH". I wonder....

According to the programme for DGW's recital last October, Simon Preston will be playing at the RAH on Friday 30 June 2006. Booking will open on 30 March.

• 1 month later...

The programme for Simon Preston's 30 June recital at the RAH is:

Felix Mendelssohn: Overture to the Oratorio "St Paul" (Op. 36)

Robert Schumann: Six Fugues on the name BACH (Op. 60)

Franz Schmidt: Toccata (1924)

Sigfrid Karg-Elert: Valse Mignonne (Op.142, No.2)

Joseph Jongen: Sonata Eroïca (Op. 94)

William Bolcom: Free Fantasia on ‘O Zion, Haste’ and ‘How Firm a Foundation’

My heart sunk to my boots at the sight of the Schumann - didn't he play that at his RFH recital last year? On paper, at least, an underwhelming looking programme for such an occasion.

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk

My heart sunk to my boots at the sight of the Schumann - didn't he play that at his RFH recital last year? On paper, at least, an underwhelming looking programme for such an occasion.

I'm sure that the Jongen will be stunning - worth going for just that one. I love the Schmidt too, but it's hardly common or easily approachable recital fare. I wonder how it will sound in that vast acoustic - a very very dense bit of work which is bound to jumble itself up - several pages of semiquavers in all parts including feetl!

Tangent: I wonder why we still haven't had a performance of the Jongen Symphonie Concertante in any of these (recent) prestigious concerts with orchestra. It's one of the best concertos for our instrument. I have a Michael Murray recording which still thrills every time I hear it, even though the instrument in use is critically unsuited to the period.

Yes he did, Jeremy - but I don't entirely understand why you are so turned off by the prospect of hearing the Schumann Fugues again - one of the few 19th century organ works to come from the pen of a real composer, one that musicians other than organists take seriously. As for the repeating programme issue - look at Carlos Kleiber. In the last twenty years of his career he only a had repertoire of about 10 symphonies, a handful of overtures and maybe six operas , but people still flocked to hear him conduct them every time - no one said 'Blimey, Beethoven 5 and 7 AGAIN - didn't he conduct those last year at the Musikverein?' Why was that? I heard the Schumann last year and don't imagine they will be played the same way in the RAH - that alone will make the comparison interesting. What do you think SP should have played?

Yes, I would agree with your sentiments, Stephen.

Whilst personally, I fail to see the point of orchestral transcriptions in an organ recital these days, nevertheless it could be interesting to observe precisely how Mr. Preston will realise such matters as the registration, for example.

I have no knowledge of the last item - it is always exciting to discover previously-unknown repertoire.

I hope also that Manders have managed to rectify the unfortunate electrical problems which affected the combination mechanism of the instrument following the rebuild. However, I do understand that the fault lay in certain components in the Solid-State system - something which Manders (or the suppliers) could not have been expected to know until the problems became manifest.

Whilst personally, I fail to see the point of orchestral transcriptions in an organ recital these days, nevertheless it could be interesting to observe precisely how Mr. Preston will realise such matters as the registration, for example.

I have no knowledge of the last item - it is always exciting to discover previously-unknown repertoire.

I hope also that Manders have managed to rectify the unfortunate electrical problems which affected the combination mechanism of the instrument following the rebuild. However, I do understand that the fault lay in certain components in the Solid-State system - something which Manders (or the suppliers) could not have been expected to know until the problems became manifest.

Hi pncd - the Bolcom is fantastic - it starts as a bona fide avant garde piece with little hints of melody poking through the texture, and gradually metamorphoses to a blues/swing/rock setting of the second tune, starting quietly and growing to a conclusion on full organ. Great fun - and incredibly difficult. Well worth going to hear the concert for that piece alone I'd say....

What do you think SP should have played?

I suppose I'm being a bit of a curmudgeon B) when in fact I am a SP fan B) and will, nevertheless, be found at the RAH on 30 June.

I just feel that Mendelssohn, Schumann, Karg-Elert and Schmidt is a bit too much for one recital, and on paper at least, it doesn't look like an enticing programme. Nonetheless, the Jongen is of course a fantastic work, and the Bolcom sounds interesting.

I suppose I'm being a bit of a curmudgeon  B) when in fact I am a SP fan  B)  and will, nevertheless, be found at the RAH on 30 June.

I just feel that Mendelssohn, Schumann, Karg-Elert and Schmidt is a bit too much for one recital, and on paper at least, it doesn't look like an enticing programme. Nonetheless, the Jongen is of course a fantastic work, and the Bolcom sounds interesting.

Not at all Jeremy - I hope you enjoy it and will be interested to hear your thoughts on the Bolcom if you get around to posting them here. I'm a big fan but I know it's not everyone's bottle of Budweiser...on the more general point, I wonder how easy it really is to programme for the RAH - quite a lot of repertoire won't quite work there I think, despite the size of the instument.

I have to say, I think it looks like a wonderful programme. I too heard SP play at the RAH last year (?) and will be fascinated to hear the Schumann again under such different conditions. Interesting too that the Scmidt was played by Susi Jeans at the RFH organ's opening.

I also thought we were past the point of writing-off transcriptions these days; why is a good transcription less valid than an original work? :)

After all, there are some impeccable precedents...

On another point, I recently acquired the vinyl of SP's Abbey Nativite from the sixties. What a stunner! As someone who hears the Abbey organ quite often, I was sad to find that the instrument sounded a lot more coherent and convincing then (complete with Large OD and Gt Trombas) than it does now. The removal of these from the Gt makes the remaining Harmonics rather a Cinderella. :(

Isn't it just? My copy wore out years ago. I wish they'd reissue it on CD.

I'm in the process of trying to find second-hand copies of SPs 1960s Decca LPs from Westminster Abbey, Colston Hall, Hull City Hall, King's and then getting them transferred to CD. Waiting for some enterprising record label to licence them ......