Mander Organ Builders Forum

What Do You Think...

Guest Roffensis
The links to the contents don't work yet?

Best wishes,

Pierre Lauwers

Glad to see you are going to Chester, a veritable gem of a organ, one of my favorites, being a bit of a Hill finatic. Now!!....For your sins you can see to the removal of those horrible plush nave seats which have really damaged the acoustic badly, and had the effect of a carpeted nave almost. Nice friendly website too. I really hope things go great for you at Chester, and wish you all the very best there. Well done!!

Richard.

let me know, its fairly new and I would like some feedback on it!

www.richardmcveigh.co.uk

A bit of self promotion never hurts anybody, apparently!  :rolleyes:

Hi Richard

Web site looks good - keep it up. One point though, the link to NPOR is incorrect - it takes you to the LeHurray server, will is no longer being updates, and will be taken off-line at the end of August. The correct link is www.bios.org.uk/npor, which currently takes you to the new database on a computer called Emma at Cambridge University - but that in turn will be moving within the next couple of months to a new location in Birmingham, hence the URL for that will change, however, the link via the BIOS web site will be updated to take you to the correct location.

Hope it goes well at Chester - meybe I can come and have a look (and a play) when we're on holiday in the area (probably soon after Easter next year).

Every Blessing

Tony

www.richardmcveigh.co.uk

A bit of self promotion never hurts anybody, apparently!  :rolleyes:

==================

I'm sorry, but as self-promotion it's very reticent and very British.

First priority is to get rid of the Metro Gti photographs....no street-cred with that particular vehicle....hire a Dark Blue metallic Subaru Impreza with tinted windows.

Get rid of the tie if you want to have designer stubble like Will Young...in fact....just get rid of the tie.

There are far too many women in the photographs. People might get the wrong impression. I would suggest hiring a handsome male extra of Latin origin, and have him lurk in the background, just to add a touch of mystery.

Always show photographs of adoring fans clamouring for autographs...hire them if necessary.

You need lots of brooding looks and pouting lips....think Lord Lichfield and Jane Parker-Smith, but forget the low cut dress.

My best advice is to make a careful study of Xaver Varnus from Hungary. He was voted the fourth most popular person in there, often wore ripped jeans and appeared on TV shows....organists CAN be celebrities!

Of course, if you REALLY want to promote yourself, you will eventually need to adopt a wild, bizzare liftestyle and abandon church, with lots of "exclusives" for the cameras, as you pop "tic-tacs" and "smarties" into your mouth whilst going into discos.

On the other hand, you could wear very sober suits, half-moon spectacles, M & S casuals and concentrate on being a really serious musician working on the fringe of the mainstream.

Decisions, decisions!

MM

==================

First priority is to get rid of the Metro Gti photographs....no street-cred with that particular vehicle....hire a Dark Blue metallic Subaru Impreza with tinted windows.

Get rid of the tie if you want to have designer stubble like Will Young...in fact....just get rid of the tie.

There are far too many women in the photographs. People might get the wrong impression. I would suggest hiring a handsome male extra of Latin origin, and have him lurk in the background, just to add a touch of mystery.

Always show photographs of adoring fans clamouring for autographs...hire them if necessary.

You need lots of brooding looks and pouting lips....think Lord Lichfield and Jane Parker-Smith, but forget the low cut dress.

My best advice is to make a careful study of Xaver Varnus from Hungary. He was voted the fourth most popular person in there, often wore ripped jeans and appeared on TV shows....organists CAN be celebrities!

Of course, if you REALLY want to promote yourself, you will eventually need to adopt a wild, bizzare liftestyle and abandon church, with lots of "exclusives" for the cameras, as you pop "tic-tacs" and "smarties" into your mouth whilst going into discos.

On the other hand, you could wear very sober suits, half-moon spectacles, M & S casuals and concentrate on being a really serious musician working on the fringe of the mainstream.

Decisions, decisions!

MM

Am I the only one who has no idea what that post was about? I think you need to structure your sentences better to get your point across because I couldn't understand that at all. Come in to the real world, I actually have a social life and by the sounds of it you don't. I have just finished uni and have friends - there were many more females on my music course than males which is why I have lots of female friends, but why should I have to justify myself? I put 'personal' pictures on there to share with my friends, not for people like you. As for the dress sense, pouting and 'brooding looks', thanks – that is such helpful feedback. Very good, well done there.

Am I the only one who has no idea what that post was about?

My two cents, eh, Shillings: this is a splendid example of

british humor!

As for the car:

http://www.richardmcveigh.co.uk/images/GTi2.jpg

Believe me, after 20 years of company cars the like of Mercedes

or options-laden Passats, I'd go for that one instead! at least

a bit of fun. Imprezas are gas-guzzlers.

As for the ladies:

Well, instead of criticizing, I'd rather ask Richard to present

me to these very interesting company!

Pierre

My two cents, eh, Shillings: this is a splendid example of

british humor!

As for the car:

http://www.richardmcveigh.co.uk/images/GTi2.jpg

Believe me, after 20 years of company cars the like of Mercedes

or options-laden Passats, I'd go for that one instead! at least

a bit of fun. Imprezas are gas-guzzlers.

As for the ladies:

Well, instead of criticizing, I'd rather ask Richard to present

me to these very interesting company!

Pierre

Thank you for that! The little metro is very cheap, nippy and as you say - fun! Unfortunately I won't be seeing the majority of those ladies again, well not for a while, as it is so easy to come out of contact with people from school/uni/work after you leave. We had a very close friendship group at uni and we were all sad when we had to leave; people in the pictures on my website are all from that group. But you would have been more than welcome to meet the interesting company! The thing that makes me most happy in life is being around friends and it completely bewilders me how 'muchingmuch' (or what ever his name is) can say i was giving off the wrong impression.

Thanks for all the other feedback though, what else could I add to the page?

The thing that makes me most happy in life is being around friends and it completely bewilders me how 'muchingmuch' (or what ever his name is) can say i was giving off the wrong impression.

=================

Where did I say that?

I was merely referring to "shameless self-promotion" as a genre.

The Xaver Varnus site is a classic, and some of the off-site publicity pics are quite surprising, to say the least, but at least everyone remembers the name; the sole object of the exercise presumably.

The joke Richard, was not on you or your web-site, but you really should get rid of the Metro!! :rolleyes:

MunchingMucho

you really should get rid of the Metro

(Quote)

Why? It can be seen as an anti-conformist tool.

10 years ago, I had free choice for a company car and took

a Fiat Tipo GT, with one of the first really good derv-engines

(90 bhp) in place of the Mercedes 190. The thing was black

and no-frill.

This was a little scandal in the company; how could this guy

represent S...Ltd with that thing!

The final point was reached while we drove back from a meeting

with our dear (!) Managing director....who couldn't follow me and

was angry for that. Exit the Tipo!

Time to get rid of this reptilian-brain mentality, isn't it?

(I asked for a Montego afterwards. The answer was...As you can guess!)

As for the website now, you could add:

More cases pictures

Specifications of organs

(This is very interesting for non-UK's readers)

Pierre

On the subject of "Shameless self-promotion," I thought I would share the following with everyone, which comes from the Xaver Varnus web-site archives.

STEWART McKEOUGH

Hot Wax

IT'S THE SIZE OF THE ORGAN THAT COUNTS

It's time for a change of tune. Easily slipping into the usual bump-and-grind-she's so-fine diva-miss-thang-woric-it-bitch lingo, I have been criticized for overlooking classical artists. Here you, girlfriends. Xaver Varnus, The Hungarian-bom organist who has played for George Bush and Pope John Paul II, is ready to tantalize the congregation and friends of the Metropolitan Community Church Of Toronto in a fundraiser for MCCT's organ - which evidently needs a transplant. Says Xaver Varnus: "My fart is better than MCCT's organ." The New York Times has called Varnus the Vladimir Horowitz of the organ. When I think of organ music, images of communion and funerals come to mind - not necessanly an alternative way to spend a Friday night (Come on honey, let's skip Woody's and go to an organ recital. Sure!)

But Varnus's take on all things godly comes out honey-smooth. I imagined other instruments when there was only one, and I felt a calming presence envelop me after about 10 minutes into his new self-titled CD. Don't be scared, the mélange of Bach, Mozart and Albinoni breeds familiarity. Trust me, you'll know these pieces when, you hear them. Remember, big is better. Just ask MCCT. The recital will take place at 8pm on Fri, Feb 23 at St Paul's Anglican Church at 227 Bloor E. Tickets are $20. Call (416) 406 - MCCT.

-----------

Xaver Varnus has that slightly wild Hungarian look; the sort that terrorised Central Europe in ions past...blond hair combed roughly through fingers, he could be a horseman, a fire-eater or even a human-cannonball at the circus...but he plays

the organ.

There are some fascinating sound-clips of improvisations to be heard at the following, plus a rather bizzare photograph:

http://www.xaver.hu/oneletrajz/oneletrajza.html

http://galeria.origo.hu/szebeni/sza05.html

Enjoy!

MM

Guest Roffensis
==================

Decisions, decisions!

MM

Aww! that's a bit errmm........

Take no notice Richard!!

Richard Astridge

==================

MM

Excuse me?

However, I would always recommend washing the cucumber before replacing it in the fridge.

www.richardmcveigh.co.uk

A bit of self promotion never hurts anybody, apparently!  :mellow:

Obviously you have spent a lot of time and money in promoting yourself on a website. But you might be making the same mistake a lot of student's do after spending 3 or 4 years in a redbrick University. As my Accountant once told me web sites and advertising yourself on those silly little cards are nothing more then tombstones ! It does not take a genius to work out that the Classical world is a very competitive business. It's more about who would want to hire you or for that matter who would want your services ? I am sorry if that sounds harsh but I am approaching 44 years of age next month and I am looking at other job options. Good luck to you and I wish you the best in what ever you achieve.

I am approaching 44 years of age next month and I am looking at other job options.

(Quote)

Well, I'm 46 and I do have to look at others jobs!

Mind you, as a marketing guy, I've been disposed of with many collegues

because the Internet is the death of the marketing!

I actually believe you can do a lot with the web for not that much money,

especially in so specialized "markets" as the organ one.

If you promote a recording you like on say three forums, one english,

one german and one french, you will hit a fair number of opinion leaders,

maybe not the "official" ones, but the ones that discuss with everyone else!

Best wishes,

Pierre Lauwers.