Mander Organ Builders Forum

Francis Jackson At York Minster

Nick Bennett

Unfortunately not. I hope it was extraordinary in the positive sense, and not, for example, because age has finally caught up with FJ !

BAC

Elements of both!!

When I got there, the queue for tickets stretched right across the south transept to the doors.

His pedalling in BWV 540 was a bit ropy - to the extent that, in the second pedal solo, he went completely astray, stopped, shouted "Sorry" and carried on.

There was another little incident in the Bairstow sonata, when the swell reeds suddenly came on in a quiet passage and he stopped to sort it out. Did I hear him say "blast"? I think so. In spite of that little difficulty, it was a sublime performance. At the end there was a profound silence: everyone was aware of the significance of the moment.

He ended with a magnificent performance of Guilmant's first sonata, and got an instant standing ovation that went on and on.

It's a recital I will never forget.

Elements of both!!

When I got there, the queue for tickets stretched right across the south transept to the doors. 

His pedalling in BWV 540 was a bit ropy - to the extent that, in the second pedal solo, he went completely astray, stopped, shouted "Sorry" and carried on.

There was another little incident in the Bairstow sonata, when the swell reeds suddenly came on in a quiet passage and he stopped to sort it out.  Did I hear him say "blast"?  I think so.  In spite of that little difficulty, it was a sublime performance.  At the end there was a profound silence: everyone was aware of the significance of the moment.

He ended with a magnificent performance of Guilmant's first sonata, and got an instant standing ovation that went on and on.

It's a recital I will never forget.

================

That really is quite moving.

Those of us who grew up in awe of Dr.Francis Jackson, and who almost followed him from venue to venue like modern-day pop fans, know only too well the power of the performances, the virtuosity, the quiet charm of his personality and the strength of his musical compositions....he somehow encapsulated an era of excellence. More than that, he never failed to encourage people, and he could be very kind.

How many organists could attempt Ravel on the piano, in concert?

How many organists would have been devoted enough to their art, that they entered into correspondence with Maurice Ravel?

Now in his twilight years, perhaps some of the youthful powers which Francis Jackson had, may now have gone, but it is wonderful to note the kindness which those present at the recital accorded him.

I wish I had been there, if only to get to my feet and applaude someone very special indeed.

MM

• 1 month later...
Was anyone else present at this utterly extraordinary recital last night?

Yes - a great event (as is always his annual minster recital)......

Dr. Jackson was very apologetic, afterwards, about the halted pedal passage in the Bach.

His shoe had come off!

Despite those few tense moments when we wondered what had happened! I and several others commented that, however many mishaps had occurred, it wouldn't have greatly hindered matters as the musicality of his playing always "shines" through - and also we hear parts of the minster organ that others players do not reach!

Yes, as always, a marvellous musical occasion and the standing ovation at its conclusion brought quite a lump to the throat. Fantastic for one who soon reaches his 88th birthday.

PL