Mander Organ Builders Forum

Consoles

Guest Leathered-Lips

Guest Leathered-Lips

As a lady organist I do sometimes find it problematic playing the organ as the console is very restricted and I find my right breast droops onto the Great when playing on the Swell.

Are there any other lady organists who have the same problem, and who could offer me some practical advice?

Thank you.

As a lady organist I do sometimes find it problematic playing the organ as the console is very restricted and I find my right breast droops onto the Great when playing on the Swell.

Are there any other lady organists who have the same problem, and who could offer me some practical advice?

Thank you.

====================

The only possible solution is to employ the services of a titulare! :o

MM

On a more serious note - I find that the pedal board on my own instrument is quite uncomfortable. I (and a few colleagues) did wonder whether or not it was correctly aligned. However, when it was checked with a plumb-line, we found that it was in fact D under D. It still feels as if it is too far to the left, though.

I also think that there may be a slight error in the measurements elsewhere - I ifnd most other pedal boards considerably more comfortable - including several French pedal boards.

Perhaps I should try to persuade the church authorities to purchase a straight and concave board - oh, and a new stool.

Guest Leathered-Lips
On a more serious note - I find that the pedal board on my own instrument is quite uncomfortable. I (and a few colleagues) did wonder whether or not it was correctly aligned. However, when it was checked with a plumb-line, we found that it was in fact D under D. It still feels as if it is too far to the left, though.

I also think that there may be a slight error in the measurements elsewhere - I ifnd most other pedal boards considerably more comfortable - including several French pedal boards.

Perhaps I should try to persuade the church authorities to purchase a straight and concave board - oh, and a new stool.

Dear Sir, I take great exception to your dismissal of my problems, when I was simply asking for a little help and advice. How very dare you.

However, on the subject of your pedal board I concur. Maybe altering the height and position of the stool might help? I have come across several pedalboards before now and understand the problem.

Dear Sir, I take great exception to your dismissal of my problems, when I was simply asking for a little help and advice. How very dare you.

However, on the subject of your pedal board I concur. Maybe altering the height and position of the stool might help? I have come across several pedalboards before now and understand the problem.

If I thought that you were serious, I would happily respond. Unfortunately, you have given me the distinct impression that you are a male organist, who is out for a laugh....if this is not the case, perhaps you should phrase your posts more carefully.

I have tried altering the height and position of the stool - it is now at the optimum position for comfort of playing . However, this will of course, not greatly affect problems of horizontal alignment or positioning of the pedal board.

Guest Leathered-Lips
If I thought that you were serious, I would happily respond. Unfortunately, you have given me the distinct impression that you are a male organist, who is out for a laugh....if this is not the case, perhaps you should phrase your posts more carefully.

I have tried altering the height and position of the stool - it is now at the optimum position for comfort of playing . However, this will of course, not greatly affect problems of horizontal alignment or positioning of the pedal board.

My friend, I can quite assure you that I am very much a lady. By altering the height of the bench it may be that you have a better position at the manuals, but naturally you may be a little too far from the pedal board. It's most unfortunate.

I suppose you could fit extensions to the bottom of you shoes, if you have trouble reaching the pedal board, but as you say this will not change the alignment or positioning.

Maybe a new pedalboard fitted in an alternative position?

My friend, I can quite assure you that I am very much a lady. By altering the height of the bench it may be that you have a better position at the manuals, but naturally you may be a little too far from the pedal board. It's most unfortunate.

I suppose you could fit extensions to the bottom of you shoes, if you have trouble reaching the pedal board, but as you say this will not change the alignment or positioning.

Maybe a new pedalboard fitted in an alternative position?

No - I have no trouble reaching the pedal board! I do not wish to risk starting a revival of platform-soled shoes....

My apologies, if you are indeed a lady. However, I doubt that I am alone in being confused by the extremely frank nature of your assertions with regard to your physical attributes. :o

Guest Leathered-Lips
My true name is René, I'm organ builder working for

the Family Adams.

You should see how they want me to cut the pipes

to the correct lenght!

Best wishes,

Pierre

I do hope you make the correct alterations at the mouth once your'e done :o

Thank you.

I suspect that this problem of drooping leads to quite a few "boobs" in your playing :o

Guest Leathered-Lips
I suspect that this problem of drooping leads to quite a few "boobs" in your playing :o

It's a problem I've learned to live with, I have long been dogged by the problem of gettting my brustwerk to balance.

Guest Roffensis
It's a problem I've learned to live with, I have long been dogged by the problem of gettting my brustwerk to balance.

I can vouch for the existence of this grand old Lady. She has actually played at my own church, although I did find it rather heavy going. She is generally very accomodating. I also know she is having wind problems, due to her organ having loose flanges and resultant wind loss, chiefly to the swell reservoir.

Guest Leathered-Lips
I can vouch for the existence of this grand old Lady. She has actually played at my own church, although I did find it rather heavy going. She is generally very accomodating. I also know she is having wind problems, due to her organ having loose flanges and resultant wind loss, chiefly to  the swell reservoir.

It was a pleasure indeed to play your organ, I did not find your console so cramped as mine so there was plenty of space for me to let it all hang loose. I admire the quality of your brustwerk and I found your trumpet a thrill indeed. You could however do with some leather on your large open.

Guest Roffensis
It was a pleasure indeed to play your organ, I did not find your console so cramped as mine so there was plenty of space for me to let it all hang loose. I admire the quality of your brustwerk and I found your trumpet a thrill indeed. You could however do with some leather on your large open.

My organ works perfectly well in its primary use, for liturgical work. I do not wish to alter it at all in order to fulfill a more recital purpose. Although it is good for recitals, it was not built for such, but rather for the tradition of the church,eg large masses, such as the Gounod St Cecilia etc. It would be quite wrong of me to inflict expense on the church for my own whim, and although I could complain there is no Oboe it can be imitated ok with the Cornopean and closed box, and i could also moan that there is no 16 foot reed, but what use is it at mass? leathering lips is not a Hill tradition, but more Harrisons. The only leathering ever to happen to this organ will be to the motors, and that is ongoing. I never use Open No 1 anyway, it's too thick and is amplified by the church and is only required in full organ, which soon causes aural fatigue. The whole point of starting a boys choir was to reduce the need for organ tone, thenk yew.

• 2 weeks later...