Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Stops

Guest Leathered-Lips

I think a useful new stop would be the 'Eject Assistant' stop, to be drawn when frustrated by an incompetent page turner, or during an unwelcome visit to the organ loft from an interfering member of the church's staff.

You could also have on teaching instruments the 'Eject Student' stop in the event of being frustrated by a lazy student. Just make sure the student doesn't draw the 'Eject Assistant' stop first.

How about an 'Electric Choir Stalls' stop with adjustable voltage for when you choir refuses to sing anything other than a quarter tone flat? This could, of course, be used in conjunction with the 'Eject Choir' stop for really bad choirs.

I think the 'Open Drinks Cabinet' stop has been in use for a while on some instruments. And maybe on some instruments it is the most useful stop of all.

Or how about a 'self-destruct' stop?

I think it's probably time I pulled that one out myself. :P

You could also have on teaching instruments the 'Eject Student' stop in the event of being frustrated by a lazy student. Just make sure the student doesn't draw the 'Eject Assistant' stop first.

Make it lockable like the Corona blowers at Liverpool?

Better still.........

Open Pulpit Trapdoor? Sermons can be terribly dull don't you know ................. :P

Hi

Rick Wakeman used pipe organs on other recordings - "The Gospels" and "The New Gospels" are ones that I've got - and don't forget that Mander's built a "portable" pipe organ for him - I'm trying to find some details (Do Mander's have anything in their archives?)

I've used electronic keyboards with a small pipe organ at times - mainly to get solo reed sounds that the organ lacks.

Incidentally, for the record, "6 Wives" was produced in 1973.  Nigel Ogden broadcast part of Jane Seymore on "The Organist Entertains" last Tuesday.  The recording is available on CD (American import).

Every Blessing

Tony

Thanks for that Tony, I always miss Nigel Ogden :lol: I have been a Rick Wakeman fan for many years now, and have most of his LP's and CD'. I have a "Yes " video showing Rick at the console of a Swiss organ of 3 manuals, but no clue as to where. I also have a dvd of him play "Jane Seymore live where he says the synth he is playing has sampled sounds of various pipe organs including Liverpool,mmmmmmmm, do't think so really, do you?. it sounds ok, but not the real thing, not even a bit close unfortunately

Peter

Better still.........

Open Pulpit Trapdoor? Sermons can be terribly dull don't you know .................  :lol:  [/color][/font]

Hi

Then the preacher should have an "eject organist" button as well - I've heard plenty of organists who are not up to scratch - and of course, my sermons are never boring!!! (I hope)

Every Blessing

Tony

Thanks for that Tony, I always miss Nigel Ogden :lol:  I have been a Rick Wakeman fan for many years now, and have most of his LP's and CD'. I have a "Yes " video showing Rick at the console of a Swiss organ of 3 manuals, but no clue as to where. I also have a dvd of him play "Jane Seymore live where he says the synth he is playing has sampled sounds of various pipe organs including Liverpool,mmmmmmmm, do't think so really, do you?. it sounds ok, but not the real thing, not even a bit close unfortunately

Peter

Hi

I heard the version of Jane Seymour that you mentioned in a recent concert (taken from a DVD) on SOund TV. The samples were reasonable - but no manageable electronic system is ever going to beat the real thing - speakers just aren't up to the job.

I've e-mailed Rick's site to ask about the source of the organ samples, but haven't had a reply yet.

I've been a fan of his music since a colleague at work played me the quadraphonic mix of "6 Wives" back in the 1970's, but lack of funds & a large family has meant that my collection of recordings is rather thin - although I'm now slowly rectifying the situation.

Every Blessing

Tony

• 2 months later...
aeolian-skinner reintroduced the harmonic spitzflote and celeste in its later years

it has the advantage of restoring even-numbered harmonics which the tapered body of the regular spitzflote or flauto dolce suppress

the tonal result is a more beautiful and ethereal tonal quality than the flauto dolce alone

after the firm ceased production [et seq]

That little button marked 'shift' will allow the typing of capital letters, if required!