Mander Organ Builders Forum

Blower Starting Noises

Guest Leathered-Lips

Guest Leathered-Lips
lol ... I have two  :o but they both "clunk", assuming the East one hasn't tripped which often happens..  ;)

Which brings us onto the more important question of blower switches. How many of us have a Watkins and Watson I wonder? :)

Guest Roffensis
Just a distant whurrrrrrrr from the depths below the organ.

Our on and off buttons seem to be the opposite way round to everybody else's.

I have a nice W and W 5 hp, it clunks, settles dwon, then sounds like a Bentley cruising along the French Riviera. :rolleyes:

When you fire up, does she go "brrrrrrrrrrrrrr", "whhurrrrrrr", or other?

Opinions please.

======================

I kid you not, but I once played an awful organ by Driver & Haigh which had a chamber mounted blower close to the chancel ceiling. When it was switched on, it sounded for all the world like a loo being flushed, but much louder.

Of course, a flick of the switch on the word "Holy" got the timing just right, so it went:-

"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy WHOOSH"

It seemed always to be the perfect reflection on the utter rubbish the vicar preached each Sunday, and I was young.

However, for all those who are undisputed anoraks, like those who record train noises, THIS is the one to hear:-

http://www.acchos.org/html/gallery.html

Go to gallery and scroll down to the blower sounds....all 600HP of them, stirring into life at the Atlantic City Auditorium, New Jersey, USA.

MM

PS: I have Amtrak Diesel Loco and Staton Island ferry noises on tape.

Guest Leathered-Lips
you've just reminded me, i have a CD of the Atlantic City organ.. the first tracks are indeed each of the blowers starting up... lol

It's suitably anorak, I like it. Is that the one where they do the count-down like NASA are about to launch the space shuttle? Must go and re-check it. :rolleyes:

Guest Leathered-Lips
Just a distant whurrrrrrrr from the depths below the organ.

Our on and off buttons seem to be the opposite way round to everybody else's.

Surely they must be mandatory ISOB laws passed preventing this outlandish crime?

- "A "start" button must always be central to good console design, thus allowing the player to become at one with his/her organ from the outset, and to procure the utmost refinery and ease in the art of playing. Thus promoting a sense of authority at the console which will encourage only the highest standards of phrasing and articulation within one who is prepared to unleash both her subtle and earth-shattering renderences of repertoire - innit?"

Further to this

"For an organ to be worthy of heritage funding it must retain its original leatherwork and dulciana. However, organs over six hundred years old are exempt from this stipulation. Provided the organ has not been tuned during this time full-funding grants will be available". For details on how to apply for a form please contact the appropriate department. Once you have recieved this form you will need to write elsewhere for details of how to fill in this form correctly. Once you have recieved this form, you will need to complete another form to say that you have recieved both these forms. When both forms have been checked and completed you will recieve another form asking you if you really intended to complete both these original forms. Once you have confirmed this and sent the latter form back stating that you did indeed intend to complete these forms you will be sent another form to be sent to an independant organ advisor asking if you really intended to complete these forms. They will need to sign this and send it back to both parties. Once you have recieved written confirmation that these forms have been completed properly you should approach a variety of organ builders who you feel might be appropriate to carry out any prospective work. Once you have done this you will need to complete another form to send back (which must be signed by the church authorities), stating that you intend to carry out works upon the organ. When this has been recieved you will be sent a certificate stating that permission has been granted/not granted for you to submit an application for funding. By which time any prosepective grant money will probably have gone to Iraq, so we advise you to send off the initial form just as soon as is reasonably possible.

Edna

X