Mander Organ Builders Forum

Board Open Day

David Coram

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk

Frankly, what venue would be brave enough to play open house to such a load of obsessed fanatics as us?! Mind you, our wives could have such a lovely day if we all went missing for a while that it might even be a public service for us to try for it.

What could such a gathering offer that a BIOS get-together or an Organ Club 'do' could not? Maybe our party would be entirely different, but who knows?

More to the point would be to take a few sceptics round the instruments they so quickly write off or have forgotten about. For my money, Pierre L. should be the guest of honour. We really must introduce him to some of the instruments he has never heard that might cheer him up. Worcester Cathedral might be a good place to meet - but leave your rotten tomatoes and flaming torches in the car-park! (Just kidding!)

If someone is really serious about this, as a true obsessive I'm open to suggestions of possible dates and places. You could always come over here - (sunny Hull, that is) plenty of fun organs could be 'on show'.

Against a get-together on purely practical grounds: Geographically, the strongest/most persuasive voices on this forum (recently) seem pretty well scattered. Roffensis is clearly in Merseyside, my spies tell me that pcnd is in Dorset. Barry Oakley - Staffordshire, Peter Allinson - Yorkshire, Brian Childs in Armagh, Pierre L in Belgium etc. etc.

I think we're dreaming. It may have to be: make your own personal contact through this website if you have a particular idea/theme to track down. In this regard, I repeat, visitors are welcome here.

"Worcester Cathedral might be a good place to meet - but leave your rotten tomatoes and flaming torches in the car-park! (Just kidding!)"

(Quote)

;);)B) This is indeed an excellent idea.

I could even take some friends with, the ones that

fell in love with this old nail while listening to these

old HPs I have here.

Of course, Mander's headquarters could claim for priority, tough.

Best wishes,

Pierre

How about Mander Organs, St Peter's Square, London, E2 7AF, England as meetingpoint?

Well, from a Romsey base there's a complete stunner at the abbey, plus within 30 minutes of Salisbury Cathedral & St Thomas', most of the big Bournemouth ones, Wimborne Minster, quite close to Sherborne... someone really enterprising could set up a "treasure hunt" leading to next venue? Perhaps take in an improvisation class at Sarum College, or the English Organ School @ Sherborne?

Against a get-together on purely practical grounds: Geographically, the strongest/most persuasive voices on this forum (recently) seem pretty well scattered. Roffensis is clearly in Merseyside, my spies tell me that pcnd is in Dorset. Barry Oakley - Staffordshire, Peter Allinson - Yorkshire, Brian Childs in Armagh, Pierre L in Belgium etc. etc.

Whilst Armagh is indeed lovely and the ecclesiatical capital of Ireland, Bangor (the original which spun off all the others) is actually in the County Down (as in "Star of the...) famous for its "basket of eggs scenery" (drumlins) and as the real life landscape on which CS Lewis based Narnia. Here in East Bangor or Ballyholme as we prefer to call it, I can look from my back window over the Lough to Carrickfergus and the North Channel to the Mull of Galloway and the Mull of Kintyre. For Pierre's benefit (should he come across this) the organist of the Catholic Cathedral in Armagh since 1959 has been one George Minne, a Belgian. I am not sure whether he is still in post, since the Catholic Cathedral either has no website (unlike its Anglican Counterpart) or conceals its identity so well that a Google search does not retrieve it near the top of the list.

Brian Childs

Well, from a Romsey base there's a complete stunner at the abbey, plus within 30 minutes of Salisbury Cathedral & St Thomas', most of the big Bournemouth ones, Wimborne Minster, quite close to Sherborne...  someone really enterprising could set up a "treasure hunt" leading to next venue?  Perhaps take in an improvisation class at Sarum College, or the English Organ School @ Sherborne?

And further over in this direction there is Downside, Bath etc.

AJJ

If someone is really serious about this, as a true obsessive I'm open to suggestions of possible dates and places.  You could always come over here - (sunny Hull, that is) plenty of fun organs could be 'on show'.

Against a get-together on purely practical grounds: Geographically, the strongest/most persuasive voices on this forum (recently) seem pretty well scattered.  Roffensis is clearly in Merseyside, my spies tell me that pcnd is in Dorset.  Barry Oakley - Staffordshire, Peter Allinson - Yorkshire, Brian Childs in Armagh, Pierre L in Belgium etc. etc.

Hi

That makes at least 3 of us in Yorkshire (I'm in Bradford). Just possibly Hull would be suitable (but not until after Christmas).

Every Blessing

Tony

Guest Barry Oakley
Hi

That makes at least 3 of us in Yorkshire (I'm in Bradford).  Just possibly Hull would be suitable (but not until after Christmas).

Every Blessing

Tony

Yes, I would certainly go for Hull. I spent from 1948 to 1973 in the area and was a boy chorister from '48 where Paul is now Director of Music. I seem to remember that Brian was at university in the city, too. There some superb organs in East Yorkshire. Pierre could either fly in to Humberside Airport or catch the overnight ferry from Zeebrugge.

I am up for this too B) a  yorkshire area meet would be good for me personally , and I am sure mine and Paul Derretts friend in Doncaster ( David Rogers) could open the doors to Doncaster  Parish Church, ooops, I mean the Minster.

Peter

If you can find a way into Doncaster PC (or minster!) then name the day and I'll be there. The last two times I've been in the town (during the day admittedly) its bee all locked up.

I do remember Magnus Black showing the organ to me and a friend back in the early 70's. If it sounded good then, it must be better now.

If you can find a way into Doncaster PC (or minster!) then name the day and I'll be there. The last two times I've been in the town (during the day admittedly) its bee all locked up. 

I do remember Magnus Black showing the organ to me and a friend back in the early 70's.  If it sounded good then, it must be better now.

I was in there the other week, a good friend of mine has the keys :D it could be aranged if you really really wanted to play a nice rebuilt 5 decker ;)

Peter

p.s. monday evening after choir practice, and providing my friend is free