Mander Organ Builders Forum

Durufle - Trois Danses

AJJ

Not exactly organ music (although one has been arranged for organ) - I would like a recording of Durufle's Trois Danses for orchestra - does anyone know of one? (There is a fairly old recording of the Requiem with one tacked on as a 'filler' but my reliable local CD shop has as yet been unable to source a copy).

Cheers,

AJJ

Not exactly organ music (although one has been arranged for organ) - I would like a recording of Durufle's Trois Danses for orchestra - does anyone know of one? (There is a fairly old recording of the Requiem with one tacked on as a 'filler' but my reliable local CD shop has as yet been unable to source a copy).

Cheers,

AJJ

You might get yourself the 2cd-set from Erato label nr. 3984-24235-2 (don't know if it's still available), it's a re-edition of recordings from the 1960's

The disc comprises Requiem op.9, Veni creator op.4, Prelude and Sicilienne from Suite op.5, Mass Cum Jubilo op.11, the four motets op.10, three dances op.6, scherzo op.2 and the ALAIN pr. et f. op.7.

Durufle plays and conducts all except scherzo and the ALAIN, which are performed by his wife.

A must have if you ask me ...

You might get yourself the 2cd-set from Erato label nr. 3984-24235-2 (don't know if it's still available), it's a re-edition of recordings from the 1960's

The disc comprises  Requiem op.9, Veni creator op.4, Prelude and Sicilienne from Suite op.5,  Mass Cum Jubilo op.11, the four motets op.10,  three dances op.6,  scherzo op.2 and the ALAIN pr. et f. op.7.

Durufle plays and conducts all except scherzo and the ALAIN, which are performed by his wife.

Thanks for this

AJJ

• 1 month later...

The disc comprises Requiem op.9, Veni creator op.4, Prelude and Sicilienne from Suite op.5, Mass Cum Jubilo op.11, the four motets op.10, three dances op.6, scherzo op.2 and the ALAIN pr. et f. op.7.

Hmm... I don't actually think that performance of the Trois Danses is much cop, despite being conducted by the composer. But I don't know of any other recording of all three.

I've got the recording I think Alastair has in mind. It's the full-orchestra version of the Requiem with the Ambrosian Singers and the New Phil conducted by Sir Andrew Davis. The LP had a splendid performance of the second of the dances as a filler. The Requiem was reissued on CD (Sony Essential Classics, SBK 67182), but it was coupled with the same performers' version of the Fauré Requiem; the Duruflé dance was omitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

AJJ

Greetings Alastair,

I was just curious if you were referring to the William Whitehead arr. of Danse lente (Trois Danses Op. 6) I absolutely love this arrangement which really shows of the fabulous reeds on the Oberthür organ at St. Etienne, Auxerre.

][\/][][\/][

[\/][uSIC][\/][AN,Dec 18 2005, 03:09 AM]

Greetings Alastair,

I was just curious if you were referring to the William Whitehead arr. of Danse lente (Trois Danses Op. 6) I absolutely love this arrangement which really shows of the fabulous reeds on the Oberthür organ at St. Etienne, Auxerre.

][\/][][\/][

Thanks for this - I have just ordered the Whitehead CD from Chandos records

AJJ