Mander Organ Builders Forum

Lazare Auguste Maquaire

giwro

As part of the research for my book on the organ symphonie, I am coming across all sorts of neglected works for organ...

I've also been studying scores, recordings and making a few recordings to boot, and I think I will share my findings with you all here when I have the time.

I've now started study of Maquaire's lone Symphonie for organ, and find it to be a tuneful, engaging piece. He was a pupil of and assistant to Widor, so that influence is evident in his writing.

For your enjoyment, here is the first mvt (Allegro)

http://evensongmusic.net/audio/MaquaireSym1mvt1.mp3

Since the piece was published in 1905, and Maquaire left this vale of tears in 1906, the music is firmly in the public domain... so no worries on the legality of posting an audio file.

Do enjoy...

-Jonathan

It may be interesting to note nobody on the french Forum do

know anything about Maquaire.

"Nobody is a prophet in his own country", like with british

composers in Britain?

Best wishes,

Pierre

And, it seems that on that French forum (if I read correctly) I was misquoted to say that Maquaire was an assistant of a student of a student of Widor (I _think_ that's how it comes over to English - my French is a bit rusty)

Pierre, if you have posting privileges over there, could you correct them for me?

I don't trust my French enough to subscribe and enter into the discussion... I'd likely either offend or at least cause much laughter :-)

Maquaire was a student of Widor

Maquaire was _also_ one of Widor's assistants at St-Sulpice.

On the score I note that it is designated op. 20... I wonder about the other 19 works - apparently none of those were for organ

Also, do note that there are MANY "unknown" composers in their own countries... just read through one of the composer dictionaries and see how many you recognize.

I've often felt it a shame that the amazing corpus of work by the Belgian composers has been largely neglected... I asked a Belgian friend why no one seems to play de Maleingreau, for example - His response?

"He wasn't French"

Regards,

Jonathan

Anyone here save one (a kind of Diapason...) may join the Plenum forum

without fear of being "smashed" for language problems; I'd care for it by myself for the simple reason I am one of the two administrators. We already have Heva,

John Foss and Gerhard Grenzing with us. They can sometimes write with some faults -like me here!- but we are there to help and learn togheter and nothing else

or I may forget my flegm for a time.

The misinterpretation you mention is actually a joke from someone who did not

like the music. But we are three to like it!

I pass your comment on directly.

Maleingreau's organ is near here, in Châtelet. An interesting neo-classic organ from

1942, I visited it up to the last bolt. Its Titulaire plays Maleingreau very very often!

Best wishes,

Pierre

Anyone here save one (a kind of Diapason...) may join the Plenum forum

without fear of being "smashed" for language problems; I'd care for it by myself for the simple reason I am one of the two administrators.

The misinterpretation you mention is actually a joke from someone who did not

like the music. But we are three to like it!

Thanks, Pierre...

I may join if you think the list can endure google-translated postings (yuck!) :lol:

At any rate, glad you like the music, and be assured I love de Maleingreau - I have 11 piano sonatas and the 3 organ Symphonies, all of which I adore

regards,

Jonathan

• 2 months later...
"Nobody is a prophet in his own country"

You are - alas - quite right : the only recording (prior to Jonathan's) of Maquaire's symphony I'm aware of has been done by a...German (Michael Eckerle at St. Francis in Pforzheim, published by Aeolus 8-9 years ago, now OOP).

I became fond of the work on first listening. :D

Guest Lee Blick

Nice piece. Sounds very provincial French. The organ sounds like a MIDI one, but musical.

Where can I get a score of this please?

Coincidentally I know of a new edition being completed at present (not by me I hasten to add) - more news here when and if it becomes available.

AJJ

New edition now available via this website - along with much more good music - take a look!

http://www.impulse-music.co.uk/fitzjohnmusic.htm

AJJ