Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Worst Organ In The World

David Coram

Guest Roffensis
1858 Walker actually, with no subsequent tonal alteration (except for a few minor additions in 1888 such as a Pedal 32 and a tremulant), at Romsey Abbey.  On one track - trio 6 - the left hand is taken by the 4' Flute on the 1999 Walker nave organ, some 50 feet away, the other hand on the Choir 4' flute.  This is quite inaudible from the console and only possible to do because of the noise of the barker levers providing a percussive landmark.  Otherwise only the main organ is used. 

Did wonder what you might make of it, seeing as the choruswork hails from much the same generation as Wimborne (pcnd may correct me but I believe the Gt chorus there stands largely unaltered?)

Sorry about the notes, these are just extracts of practice recordings made from halfway back the nave (which exist to make me SLOW THINGS DOWN)...  Be as critical as you like...

Well the Romsey organ is an absolute gem, I love it. Always have.

R

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P well yes, I do like anything currently out of fashion, so you are not wrong there! The Romsey organ certainly sounded old, but the reeds lacked a certain roundness and fatness. The organ produces a nice sound nonetheless, on that recording I don't think it sounds typically English, but given its date perhaps that sets it in context a little more. It sounds a nice job to me.

Indeed - even if you do not like the Wimborne instrument, Delvin! However, since, as David says, the Romsey and Wimborne choruses are of a similar vintage and similar tonally, you probably just need to hear them both live - especially Wimborne.

So - do you have a favourite instrument in the UK (which is fairly well-known) that you could share with us?

I will try not to react too violently to any trombi and other fat stuff.

Guest delvin146
Indeed - even if you do not like the Wimborne instrument, Delvin! However, since, as David says, the Romsey and Wimborne choruses are of a similar vintage and similar tonally, you probably just need to hear them both live - especially Wimborne.

So - do you have a favourite instrument in the UK (which is fairly well-known) that you could share with us?

I will try not to react too violently to any trombi and other fat stuff.

Favourite instruments in the UK. Well there are several which are definitely my taste:

Westminster Abbey

Liverpool Anglican (pre 1977) - but still a wonderful sound

Liverpool Met - Surprisingly smooth apart from the oboe da crappia, even the chamade is nice, but it's an acoustically lively building of course

York Minster

Canterbury Cathedral (What's left of it)

Durham Cathedral

Hereford Cathedral

Bristol Cathedral

St. Mary Redcliff

to name a few

Guest delvin146
One of my favourites, which rarely get mentioned on these pages, is Chichester.

:P

Hmmm, not one I know too much about really, but when I heard a recording of it recently it didn't impress me very much I'm afraid. Hey ho.

Favourite instruments in the UK. Well there are several which are definitely my taste:

Liverpool Met - Surprisingly smooth apart from the oboe da crappia, even the chamade is nice, but it's an acoustically lively building of course

In which case, the reason why you do not warm to the Wimborne Minster instrument is due to the unflattering acoustic. Actually, there is probably a better ambience in Dawn French's brassière....

Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral organ is, as you probably already know, the 'big brother' to the Wimborne organ. The sound and voicing are similar (allowing for the fact that the Liverpool organ does not have at its heart a three-clavier 1865 Walker).

However, the same voicers were employed on both jobs. The chamades are identical - except that Liverpool also has the lowest twelve notes.

Guest delvin146
In which case, the reason why you do not warm to the Wimborne Minster instrument is due to the unflattering acoustic. Actually, there is probably a better ambience in Dawn French's brassière....

Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral organ is, as you probably already know, the 'big brother' to the Wimborne organ. The sound and voicing are similar (allowing for the fact that the Liverpool organ does not have at its heart a three-clavier 1865 Walker).

However, the same voicers were employed on both jobs. The chamades are identical - except that Liverpool also has the lowest twelve notes.

I genuinely hope I like Wimbourne when I hear it live, hopefully later this summer if I can. Wouldn't be the first time an organ sounds much nicer "in the flesh" than on sound bites.

:P

I agree - I have played for several services there and each time it is like renewing my acquaintance with an old friend.

No nasty noises, no surprises and an elegant and comfortable console.

I just wish that Mander's had supplied a Swell to Choir coupler, though - this is the only real omission, in my view.

now this is an unflattering acoustic- http://home.comcast.net/~pqboom/tour/pipeorgn.html

Lionel Rogg is playing at Chichester on Sunday evening (8pm) and I would go were it not such a difficult journey from Eastbourne by train.

Sweelinck: Fantasia Chromatica, 'Dorian'

De Grigny: Gloria, Récit de Tierce en Taille from 'Livre d'Orgue'

Bach: Fantasia and Fugue in G minor, BWV542

Bach: 6 Schübler Chorales, BWV645-650

Franck: Chorale No 3 in A minor

Liszt: Prelude and Fugue on BACH

Rogg: Nuées; Tétracordes Insistants

Duruflé: Prelude et Fugue sur le nom d'Alain

• 17 years later...
On 26/06/2006 at 16:24, MusingMuso said:

====================

That's it, is it? 11,000,00 people and that's the best they can come up with covering 300 years?

Assuming that "Greater" Yorkshire has a similar number of people, I could quote the following, and will:-

Beverley Minster

St Mary, Beverley

Hull PC

Hull City Hall

Bridlington Priory

York Minster

Leeds PC

Leeds Town Hall

Selby Abbey

St Bart's, Armley

Doncaster PC

Wakefield Cathedral

Halifax PC

Halifax Civic Theatre

Huddersfield University

Huddersfield Town Hall

Ripon Cathedral

Harrogate PC

That's 18 organs with a total of 70 manuals and, I believe, 16 X 32ft reeds and two German masterpieces.

Of course, there's lots of historic instruments about and a large number of smaller new ones, romantic ones and older ones.

Nuff said

MM

PS: Why does everyone forget about the Merchant Taylor's Hall, London?

I'd LOVE to have a solo CD of the MTH. I only have A very nice cheap EMI reissue of SP and YM doing Handel concerti, but interestingly EMI chose all the MT ones, IIRC.