Mander Organ Builders Forum

Book Recommendation

Guest Cynic

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk

I have been well entertained, and much enlightened by a Christmas gift, the book

'All the Stops' by Craig R.Whitney ISBN 1-58648-262-9

It discusses the development of pipe organs in the USA in the 20th century. Skinner and Fisk are covered in detail and especially the lives and influence of two major players: E.Power Biggs and Virgil Fox. In particular it charts the trend towards and now back from creating neo-baroque organs.

I would love to quote a couple of extremely interesting and relevant paragraphs from the book, to give you a taste but time does not yet permit.

We have something to learn from the American experience.

You may not be convinced, but I am!

Thanks for the tip - looks interesting read, I've just ordered a copy.

Here is a tip of mine - I recently decided to buy the very expensive book "Dietrich Buxtehude: Organist in Lubeck" - as a Christmas present for myself . Not withstanding the postage, :rolleyes: it was vastly cheaper from the US Amazon site than the UK site!!!

Here is a tip of mine - I recently decided to buy the very expensive book "Dietrich Buxtehude: Organist in Lubeck" - as a Christmas present for myself . Not withstanding the postage, B)  it was vastly cheaper from the US Amazon site than the UK site!!!

Is it back in print? I tried to get a hard or soft cover copy for ages, with no luck. In the end a mint hardback turned up on ebay with an American seller. Still set me back nearly £95 including shipping...

Is it back in print? I tried to get a hard or soft cover copy for ages, with no luck. In the end a mint hardback turned up on ebay with an American seller. Still set me back nearly £95 including shipping...

You were lucky, I didn't think Buxtehude readers used eBay -- my paper back cost me a lot more! ;)

You were lucky, I didn't think Buxtehude readers used eBay -- my paper back cost me a lot more!  ;)

book dealers do, and I missed out a couple of times previous to that, for less ;)

sorry, I didn't mean to wind you up, it was just an honest statement of my experience.. I can't believe it's not been picked up for a reprint, scandalous really seeing the original book was what, £30 in hardback, and is probably still considered the definitive text...

For Christmas, I was given "Everything Else An organist Should Know" by Robert Leach and Barry Williams. My (non-organist) mother couldn't put it down - it has lots of pearls of wisdom you can apply well away from the organ loft, despite covering topics such as "Clergy Discipline" "Dealing with the congregation" "Choir vs Music Group" "problem choristers - the foghorn, The arguer and Past Sell by date", such as employment law, tax and how to deal with your employer. Fascinating and surprisingly gripping reading. Strongly recommended.

BTW, my mother used to be a book seller. You can't keep her off Amazon or ebay for finding a book...

For Christmas, I was given "Everything Else An organist Should Know" by Robert Leach and Barry Williams. My (non-organist) mother couldn't put it down - it has lots of pearls of wisdom you can apply well away from the organ loft, despite covering topics such as "Clergy Discipline" "Dealing with the congregation" "Choir vs Music Group" "problem choristers - the foghorn, The arguer and Past Sell by date", such as employment law, tax and how to deal with your employer. Fascinating and surprisingly gripping reading. Strongly recommended.

I couldn't agree more, Colin. An absolute 'must' for anyone, especially organists, involved in church music. The tome manages to combine an informative read with much factual information that is just not easily found elsewhere. Some delightfully irreverant moments as well!

ISBN: 0955074908

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Barry Williams

BTW, my mother used to be a book seller. You can't keep her off Amazon or ebay for finding a book...

Guest Barry Williams

As one of the authors of the book 'Everything Else an organist Should Know' it is gratifying to know that it has been useful. Organists, like many other people in the music business, find much of their time taken up with admininstrative matters, the problems of complying with the ever-increasing legal requirements and, of course, difficult relations with clergy and choirs! I hope we have gone some way to making organists' jobs a little easier. Thank you for the nice remarks.

Some people have complained that they cannot get the book through book shops. Copies of the book can be obtained by sending a cheque for £17 -includes postage and packing - made payable to Organist Publications Ltd to:

Organist Publications Ltd

19 Chestnut Avenue

Stoneleigh Ewell

Surrey KT19 0SY

Barry Williams