Mander Organ Builders Forum

Layout Of Organ Specifications

Guest Lee Blick

Guest Lee Blick

Is it possible for people to put organ specifications into two or three columns? It makes it much easier to read. I'm getting a bit fed up of having to scroll down all the time to get past particularly the stevebournias proportioned specs.

Is it possible for people to put organ specifications into two or three columns?  It makes it much easier to read.  I'm getting a bit fed up of having to scroll down all the time to get past particularly the stevebournias proportioned specs.

Quite right. The stevebournias specs have their own distinctive odor of postpubescent wretched excess.

Is it possible for people to put organ specifications into two or three columns?  It makes it much easier to read.  I'm getting a bit fed up of having to scroll down all the time to get past particularly the stevebournias proportioned specs.

Well, I agree - I have tried. I have also tried 'cutting and pasting', or converting .xls into .rtf - none of this makes any difference. As far as I can see, this board has some default which justifies left every time.

(The avatars do not work, either.)

On my most recent specification, I did at least put the couplers in red - and italics.

If you can find a way around this problem, I would be pleased to hear it. I am also slightly bored with scrolling down three or four hundred stops....

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
I am also slightly bored with scrolling down three or four hundred stops....

I notice that a couple of our friend's postings on 'nuts and bolts' have received no replies. This might be the way to go.

We may even reach the point where one solitary expert posts messages/specs for a while. Thinks: maybe there is a rationale for this deluge! You realise that said friend actually runs a web forum (Organ Specs Real and Imaginery). He has tried to tempt us to join this and (I would guess) most of us have resisted. Is this why (as it were) the mountain has come to Mahommet?

Like you, I wonder what can be done - in a civilised way, of course.

There is the occasional flash of insight, I have no doubt at all that he knows what he is talking about - but the steady stream of unrealistic schemes are very wearing....

and then there is the verbal abuse which seems to be getting pretty OTT.

Help us, someone!

Well, I agree - I have tried. I have also tried 'cutting and pasting', or converting .xls into .rtf - none of this makes any difference. As far as I can see, this board has some default which justifies left every time.

(The avatars do not work, either.)

On my most recent specification, I did at least put the couplers in red - and italics.

If you can find a way around this problem, I would be pleased to hear it. I am also slightly bored with scrolling down three or four hundred stops....

This is a test of using the code tags:

This should be a very long list in a scroll box

Right, it's not perfect, but it might suit some.

You can insert a codebox in your text, which creates a scrolling text box within the post, so the overall post length looks short, but those that want to read the specs can go delve in.

The codebox is inserted by doing

some text 

but putting the word CODEBOX in lower case.

Another feature of the codebox is that the formatting should come out exactly as written, so you could, if you were masochistic enough, use columns.

Here's an example, taken from one of SteveC's specs from another post...

GREAT

DOUBLEGEIGEN16
OPENDIAPASON8
STOPPEDDIAPASON8
HARMONICCLARIBEL8
VIOLADAGAMBA8
SYLVESTRINA8
NAZARD5-1/3
PRINCIPAL4
HARMONICFLUTE4
FLUTECOUVERTE4
TIERCE3-1/5
TWELFTH2-2/3
FIFTEENTH2
FLAGEOLETHARMONIQUE2
SEVENTEENTH1-3/5
NINETEENTH1-1/3
TWENTY-FIRST1-1/7
TWENTY-SECOND1
CHORUSMIXTURE-V
DOBLETRUMPET16
TRUMPET8
OCTAVETRUMPET4
SWELLTOGREAT
CHOIRTOGREAT

SWELL

BOURDON16
OPENDIAPASON8
CHIMNEYFLUTE8
TRAVERSEFLUTE8
VIOLA8
VIOLACELESTE8
AEOLINE8
VOXANGELICA8
PRINCIPAL4
HARMONICSTOPPEDFLUTE4
NAZARD2-2/3
NIGHTHORN2
TIERCE1-3/5
FURNITURE-V
CONTRAFAGOTTO16
HARMONICTRUMPET8
HAUTBOY8
VOXHUMANA8
HARMONICCLARION4
TREMOLANT

CHOIR

QUINTADENA16
VIOLINDIAPASON8
LIEBLICHGEDECKT8
MELODIA8
VIOLONCELLO8
GEMSHORN8
DULCIANA8
PRINCIPAL4
LIEBLICHFLUTE4
FIFTEENTH2
FLAUTINO2
LARIGOT1-1/3
FIFE1
SESQUIALTERA-II
CIMBEL-III
CRUMHORN16
TROMPETTE8
CLARINET8
CREMONA4
TREMOLANT
SWELLTOCHOIR
TRUMPETENCHAMADE8

I notice that a couple of our friend's postings on 'nuts and bolts' have received no replies. This might be the way to go.

We may even reach the point where one solitary expert posts messages/specs for a while.  Thinks: maybe there is a rationale for this deluge!   You realise that said friend actually runs a web forum (Organ Specs Real and Imaginery).  He has tried to tempt us to join this and (I would guess) most of us have resisted.  Is this why (as it were) the mountain has come to Mahommet?

Like you, I wonder what can be done - in a civilised way, of course.

There is the occasional flash of insight, I have no doubt at all that he knows what he is talking about - but the steady stream of unrealistic schemes are very wearing....

and then there is the verbal abuse which seems to be getting pretty OTT.

Help us, someone!

Indeed, Paul - you speak very sensibly.

We can only live in hope....

Right, it's not perfect, but it might suit some.

You can insert a codebox in your text, which creates a scrolling text box within the post, so the overall post length looks short, but those that want to read the specs can go delve in.

The codebox is inserted by doing

some text 

but putting the word CODEBOX in lower case.

Another feature of the codebox is that the formatting should come out exactly as written, so you could, if you were masochistic enough, use columns.

Here's an example, taken from one of SteveC's specs from another post...

GREAT

DOUBLEGEIGEN16
OPENDIAPASON8
STOPPEDDIAPASON8
HARMONICCLARIBEL8
VIOLADAGAMBA8
SYLVESTRINA8
NAZARD5-1/3
PRINCIPAL4
HARMONICFLUTE4
FLUTECOUVERTE4
TIERCE3-1/5
TWELFTH2-2/3
FIFTEENTH2
FLAGEOLETHARMONIQUE2
SEVENTEENTH1-3/5
NINETEENTH1-1/3
TWENTY-FIRST1-1/7
TWENTY-SECOND1
CHORUSMIXTURE-V
DOBLETRUMPET16
TRUMPET8
OCTAVETRUMPET4
SWELLTOGREAT
CHOIRTOGREAT
SWELL

BOURDON16
OPENDIAPASON8
CHIMNEYFLUTE8
TRAVERSEFLUTE8
VIOLA8
VIOLACELESTE8
AEOLINE8
VOXANGELICA8
PRINCIPAL4
HARMONICSTOPPEDFLUTE4
NAZARD2-2/3
NIGHTHORN2
TIERCE1-3/5
FURNITURE-V
CONTRAFAGOTTO16
HARMONICTRUMPET8
HAUTBOY8
VOXHUMANA8
HARMONICCLARION4
TREMOLANT
CHOIR

QUINTADENA16
VIOLINDIAPASON8
LIEBLICHGEDECKT8
MELODIA8
VIOLONCELLO8
GEMSHORN8
DULCIANA8
PRINCIPAL4
LIEBLICHFLUTE4
FIFTEENTH2
FLAUTINO2
LARIGOT1-1/3
FIFE1
SESQUIALTERA-II
CIMBEL-III
CRUMHORN16
TROMPETTE8
CLARINET8
CREMONA4
TREMOLANT
SWELLTOCHOIR
TRUMPETENCHAMADE8

To ajt - thank you for this. I will give it a try - just not tonight, since it is now 23h35. School tomorrow.

Huzzah!

:)

To ajt - thank you for this. I will give it a try - just not tonight, since it is now 23h35. School tomorrow.

Huzzah!

:)

No problem at all - glad to apply my day job skills to my preffered job, if you see what I mean!

There's a very helpful pop-up box - if you use the "Normal Mode" posting method, then, under the box on the left with all the smilies in, there is a "BB Code Help" link. This explains everything you can do with the bulletin board, including such delights as left, right, center justified, etc.

Guest Lee Blick

Excellent ajt! Can you alter the size of the box so we only see say three lines of text... ;):)

u r the problem

the likes of u with ur hate-mongering

ur claim to be some sort of "christian" church musician is put into question by ur mean-spirited conduct

i pity u

u have nothing good within urself

unless hypocricy has suddenly become a virtue

You sound like the pair of JW's I invited in (I know, stupid thing to do) for a coffee. I told them I am a gay Christian (to wind them up), and they started with the 'you're not a Christian' insults. Chill out man, this is only a discussion board, not the Pre-tribulation or the Rapture, we are talking about here. I'm sure God is waiting up there for you to design the new 144,000 stop, 15 manual monstrosity.

No problem at all - glad to apply my day job skills to my preffered job, if you see what I mean!

There's a very helpful pop-up box - if you use the "Normal Mode" posting method, then, under the box on the left with all the smilies in, there is a "BB Code Help" link. This explains everything you can do with the bulletin board, including such delights as left, right, center justified, etc.

OK - thank you!

I suppose that you do not also have any idea why it is apparently impossible to load an avatar? This function has failed every time I try. I know that it is not exactly earth-shatteringly improtant but, since the function is ostensibly there, it would be nice to use it. M. Lauwers has a nice one of what looks like a C-C console, on his Belgian (or French) board.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Cheers!

Excellent ajt!  Can you alter the size of the box so we only see say three lines of text...  ;)  :)

You sound like the pair of JW's I invited in (I know, stupid thing to do) for a coffee.  I told them I am a gay Christian (to wind them up), and they started with the 'you're not a Christian' insults. Chill out man, this is only a discussion board, not the Pre-tribulation or the Rapture, we are talking about here.  I'm sure God is waiting up there for you to design the new 144,000 stop, 15 manual monstrosity.

Hush! - we are not worthy

we are not worthy

WEARENOTWORTHY....

:P

I suppose that you do not also have any idea why it is apparently impossible to load an avatar? This function has failed every time I try. I know that it is not exactly earth-shatteringly improtant but, since the function is ostensibly there, it would be nice to use it. M. Lauwers has a nice one of what looks like a C-C console, on his Belgian (or French) board.

Nothing obvious that I can see...

I guess it's something to do with either no assigned storage space on the webserver for avatars, or permissions related. Either way, it would need fixing at the server end.

You realise that said friend actually runs a web forum (Organ Specs Real and Imaginery).  He has tried to tempt us to join this and (I would guess) most of us have resisted.  Is this why (as it were) the mountain has come to Mahommet?

Mr Bournias/gdh has posted his specifications on The Organ Forum where they have been received with similar incredulity. A bit of Googling shows that he is perfectly capable of punctuating sensibly when he wants to.

I don't think his forum is a discussion forum though. At least, if it is I've not been able to find it.