Mander Organ Builders Forum

Brahms German Requiem

Jeremy Ewen

Hi folks, just started to learn this for the first time at the local choral society, was absolutely blown over by the fugal section at the end of the third or fourth movement, all done over a pedal point on D, played by the double basses I presume. Now, being a pedal point addict (easier to play, don't you know) I wondered if there was an organ transcription out there, ideally about grade V or VI standard. Yes, I could work it out from the full score but I ain't that good.

Any ideas?

Hi folks, just started to learn this for the first time at the local choral society, was absolutely blown over by the fugal section at the end of the third or fourth movement, all done over a pedal point on D, played by the double basses I presume. Now, being a pedal point addict (easier to play, don't you know) I wondered if there was an organ transcription out there, ideally about grade V or VI standard. Yes, I could work it out from the full score but I ain't that good.

Any ideas?

I would have thought the edition for SATB chorus and piano accompaniment would probably do for playing on the organ.

I would have thought the edition for SATB chorus and piano accompaniment would probably do for playing on the organ.

I've always played it from the Peters vocal score. Not the easiest thing in the world, particularly if you start getting into orchestral registrations...

I would suggest looking up the organ score by Norris Stephens, published by Schirmer who are based in NY. ISBN 0-7935-5778-X

It is written on three staves and is in landscape format, which means less page turns. There are also some useful (suggested) registration and manual indications, and it also has the full vocal/solo parts written above.

The only down-side is that my score is in English, but they might do a one in German?

Best

Andy Scott