Mander Organ Builders Forum

Some Still Unanswered Questions

Guest stevecbournias

An 'Order of Merit' as far as musical accompanimental resources in a church would go like this?

1) A brand new Mander organ (naturally!)

2) A decent pipe organ by all other reputable organ builiders

3) A professional instrumental ensemble

4) A 'unit' pipe organ

5) A modern digital organ

6) A bad pipe organ by a dodgy local firm such as 'I. Bodgit and Sons'

7) A piano

8) A digital piano

9) An older analogue 'toaster'

10) A harmonium

11) A worship music group

12) A church teen goth 'praise' collective

13) A 1960's Bontempi/ casio keyboard

14) A tone deaf priest leading the singing

For my part, I would put 14 after 8, re-numbering it and the succeeding choices - I am sorry, but I have had many unpleasant experiences with 'worship groups'. However appropriate they may be for some styles of service, the tone-deaf priest wins over guitars, etc, any day....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

=========================

This is a bit unfair. The hybrid pipes/electronic instrument has been around since the 1930's and the work of John Compton and his team. John Compton called his electronics "organs" and that remains the official description of such wonders.

A modern digital-organ is best described as a "simulator" rather than a synthesiser, and whilst all but the best are obviously electronic substitutes for the real thing, they have a place in the musical scheme of things.

On balance, I think I would prefer to live with a good digital-organ than some of the rubbish I've played over the years, but obviously, even the best are a poor relation to a quality pipe-organ.

MM

Now really, Mr. Muso - this will not do! It is arguably somewhat less unfair than your somewhat forceful condemnation of a large quantity of French organ music!!

:)

It's all a bit odd, isn't it?...

...The history is all a bit blurry but maybe someone knows what actually happened.

It is indeed, Mr. Lucas.

However, thank you for the information - I found it quite interesting. It just goes to show that even well-known organ commentators can get it wrong occasionally!

An 'Order of Merit' as far as musical accompanimental resources in a church would go like this?

1) A brand new Mander organ (naturally!)

2) A decent pipe organ by all other reputable organ builiders

3) A professional instrumental ensemble

4) A 'unit' pipe organ

5) A modern digital organ

6) A bad pipe organ by a dodgy local firm such as 'I. Bodgit and Sons'

7) A piano

8) A digital piano

9) An older analogue 'toaster'

10) A harmonium

11) A worship music group

12) A church teen goth 'praise' collective

13) A 1960's Bontempi/ casio keyboard

14) A tone deaf priest leading the singing

Hi

I would rank a good, genuine Harmonium at 3 or 4 - and a good worship group also rather higher (depending on the musical style!).

by good Harmonium I mean the real, pressure instrument e.g. Alexandre, or (even better) Mustel.

Every Blessing

Tony

It is indeed, Mr. Lucas.

However, thank you for the information - I found it quite interesting. It just goes to show that even well-known organ commentators can get it wrong occasionally!

I'm not really sure if he got it wrong or not.

I have a suspicion that there was a certain amount misinformation going on at times and perhaps Sumner got caught out by it. But equally he may have been right. Or he may have misunderstood.

There were all sorts of peculiar things about this organ's history - odd bits and pieces which make it difficult to be clear about what happened when, for example. (Perhaps a bit like sorting out a composer's real intentions from different manuscripts and copies).

I don't think it's essential to know because it's still a fantastic musical instrument as it is now, but it holds a fascination for me at least.

================================

Two of them are dead my dear!

:)

MM

That may be so, but they would both worry me less than if Lee adopted the persona of Ms. Jennifer Bate....

.... I believe that Virgil Fox was more camp than a row of pink tents, but really....!

(I feel reasonably safe from a law-suit for libel. Anecdotal evidence suggests that this would be virtually impossible to disprove!)

Guest Lee Blick

I would like to point out I would not impersonate any organist living or deceased. My reference to these persons was merely incidental.