Mander Organ Builders Forum

Fr Willis At St Augustine's, Kilburn

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

Nice to be remembering the recordings - although I am certain I had heard Mr Austin play on a recording the Toccata in D minor there.

============================================

That would be the BWV565 Nigel.

Didn't I put that on the list? :)

Also, I think the white-jacket photo was on the cover of the LP done at Brum Town Hall. It was a long-shot, but I do recall acres of blond-hair and the jacket, but I'm sure it was Mr.Austin stood facing away from the organ case beside the old console.

Not that I ever met him or anything, so it could be his page-turner, but I seem to recall that he was a bit "hip" with blond hair around that time. He probably wears cardigans and bi-focals by now.

MM

Didn't I put that on the list?      :)

Also, I think the white-jacket photo was on the cover of the LP done at Brum Town Hall. It was a long-shot, but I do recall acres of blond-hair and the jacket, but I'm sure it was Mr.Austin stood facing away from the organ case beside the old console.

Not that I ever met him or anything, so it could be his page-turner, but I seem to recall that he was a bit "hip" with blond hair around that time. He probably wears cardigans and bi-focals by now.

MM

Although I can't find my copy just now, I'm certain that Michael Austin wasn't pictured on the cover of the recording from St Augustines. If memory serves 30+ years on, the cover showed a distant shot of the organ.

Graham

Didn't I put that on the list?      :)

MM

Sorry, forgot to attach this: http://home5.inet.tele.dk/austin/michael_austin.htm

Graham

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

Didn't I put that on the list?      ;)

MM

My fault as I don't work in BWV numbers nor K's of Mozart. I can never remember them! It was bad enough remembering which bus to catch outside the Royal Academy or Euston. Many a time I finished up nearer Oxford Circus than I should.

I hear news of good works etc. of Mr Austin when I am in Denmark and Jutland in particular. But I take my hat off to him to be able to learn (and speak) the language. Such dedication. Even the Danes find it an impossible language to cope with. To be able to take a choir rehearsal with children is utterly remarkable. To overcome all those difficulties the attractions still were strong enough to make such a leading light leave these shores and delightful Dorset in particular.

All these comments and observations from everyone has given me a pleasent and wistful day full of glorious Anglo-Catholic remembrances.

Thank you. :)

Best wishes,

NJA

Although I can't find my copy just now, I'm certain that Michael Austin wasn't pictured on the cover of the recording from St Augustines. If memory serves 30+ years on, the cover showed a distant shot of the organ.

Graham

==============================

We're mixing-up two diferent recordings.

The photo of Michael Austin was on the LP cover of his recording at Birmingham Town Hall, whereas the recording at Kilburn was either released re-released by Chandos without any photographs at all. However, the Chandos CD included two tracks from Birmingham TH, with the remainder of the disc played at Kilburn.

MM

We're mixing-up two diferent recordings.

The photo of Michael Austin was on the LP cover of his recording at Birmingham Town Hall, whereas the recording at Kilburn was either released re-released by Chandos without any photographs at all. However, the Chandos CD included two tracks from Birmingham TH, with the remainder of the disc played at Kilburn.

MM

Um, I did a search on Michael Austin at http://www.mdt.co.uk and came up with 2 Chandos Collect CDs each retailing at £5:

ORGAN CLASSICS (CHAN6518)

Works by Bach, Mendelssohn, Widor, Liszt, Clarke, Wagner, Purcell, Boellmann

This I imagine from MM's previous posting is the recording made at St Augustines, Kilburn. The other CD is:

PIPES OF SPLENDOUR (CHAN6602)

Francis Jackson at York Minster playing works by Cocker, Purcell, Nares, Jackson, Leighton, Dubois, Guilmant, Gigout and Mulet

and

Michael Austin at Birmingham Town Hall playing the Reger: Toccata & Fugue in D minor, Dupré: Prelude and Fugue in B and Franck: Final in B flat

I think it is possible we are mixing up 3, all recorded for Chandos by Brian Culverhouse.

Saint Augustin's Kilburn was entitled Michael Austin plays Organ Favourites and was released as an LP by RCA (price 99p) as INTS 1378. The sleeve was a very bright yellow with a picture of the organ but none of Michael Austin

Birmingham Town Hall 1 was entitled Organ Spectacular and featured Bach Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C , Franck Final in B flat, Liszt Prelude and Fugue on BACH, Reger Toccata and Fugue in D minor and Dupre Prelude and Fugue in B (op 7,1). (Number was 2383 227) The whole of the front of the sleeve was given over to a rather nice colour photo of the organ taken from a position which enables one to see the console with Michael standing at the right and viewed in left profile.

Birmingham Town Hall 2 was entitled Organ Music of Karg-Elert and featured Kaleidoscope (op 144), Legend (op 141/1), Sonatina No 1 (op 74) and The Reed Grown Waters (op 96/4) [Number was 2400 231] The front photo on this is of a sunset over Lake Constance but on the back there is a photo of the Organ taken from stage level looking upwards to the top of the case. In this Michael Austin is standing facing the camera with his arms folded but off to one side of the image.

The white dinner jacket and long blonde hair are common to both photos.

Brian Childs

Saint Augustin's Kilburn was entitled Michael Austin plays Organ Favourites and was released as an LP by RCA (price 99p) as INTS 1378. The sleeve was a very bright yellow with a picture of the organ but none of Michael Austin

Yes, this is the one I remember from my childhood!

Graham

• 3 years later...

Members must surely rejoice with me that a considerable amount of work is being done soon on the great organ in St Augustine's. The whole of the Pedal division will be brought back to use and the Swell action will be restored thus making the organ complete once again. This is excellent news and I long for the day when I can play it again for a wonderful High Mass - an experience which I have sadly missed for a few years. Somewhere else on the Board is a photograph that I posted some time back. Others might know exactly where it is.

For those who do not know this church, it is a sensation in every sense and lifts the heart. Do visit.

Here's a link (just found!). ST AUGUSTINE'S KILBURN

All best wishes,

Nigel

Members must surely rejoice with me that a considerable amount of work is being done soon on the great organ in St Augustine's. The whole of the Pedal division will be brought back to use and the Swell action will be restored thus making the organ complete once again. This is excellent news and I long for the day when I can play it again for a wonderful High Mass - an experience which I have sadly missed for a few years. Somewhere else on the Board is a photograph that I posted some time back. Others might know exactly where it is.

For those who do not know this church, it is a sensation in every sense and lifts the heart. Do visit.

Here's a link (just found!). ST AUGUSTINE'S KILBURN

All best wishes,

Nigel

Will the Prepared-For stops ever be added?

Q

Will the Prepared-For stops ever be added?

Q

I wouldn't think so. However, I would certainly press for the 4ft Flute on the Swell to be included and the 16ft Reed on the Gt should things ever go further. The latter only requires pipes and all would speak. The Solo is just a collection of sounds that does nothing to add to the whole which is mighty fine. The Swell (with the addition of the 16ft reed to the Willis original by H & H) is stupendous. The instrument has always been in the care of H & H and they are doing the necessary work this time. A good clean would also work wonders and so we live in hope. I think we have run out of discarded 32ft flues in the country to contemplate that being added. As it stands it has great character; a magnificent tutti and an abundance of softer 8ft registers.

N

Guest Roffensis
OK, now I am really confused....

....So where does Bette Midler play, then?

There are several possibilities!!....... :lol:

R