Mander Organ Builders Forum

Sermon Occupations For Organists

pcnd5584

A fairly large parish church nearby has a sort of voluntary book where the resident and various visitors have whiled away the sermons drawing little cartoons and making trenchant observations about life in general.  Most amusing...

If you mean where I think you mean, may I point out that some of the cartoons and virtually all of the comments are actionable - and that I rather like my job....

If you mean where I think you mean, may I point out that some of the cartoons and virtually all of the comments are actionable - and that I rather like my job....

I wonder if you should seek legal opinion as to whether a handwritten comment in a book in an organ loft constitutes publication of a libel.

Yes - I know.... I had quickly to expunge the less-flattering one of a certain well-known organist before someone else saw it....

:P

As to the legal advice - I have now booby-trapped the book, so it should be quite safe. If not, well, I know where you live, David!!

:P

I wonder if you should seek legal opinion as to whether a handwritten comment in a book in an organ loft constitutes publication of a libel.

Publication of a libel is constituted by an individual showing it (or allowing it to remain where another has easy access to it) to any person who is not the subject of the libel. (Boobytrap therefore, on first impression quite a good idea apart from the possibility of being done for causing actual bodily harm , or even GBH with intent !!) Once publication is shown in the above sense you are talking extent of publication where basically the wider you spread the message the more it costs you. However, most organists are likely to have the best defence known to the law - being an inpecunious defendant who is uninsured and not worth suing. So on balance you should remove the booby trap. The Police are not inhibited in taking action by the fact that you have no money since their overwhelming desire is to see you banged up in some penal institution, preferably with a nice selection of their unsolved cases taken into consideration, ie put on your slate. It improves the clear up rate . It is nice to to get the right criminal but it is better to have somebody than nobody. I will e-mail you my fee note !!!!

Whilst I have no wish to provoke anyone, I was wondering what colleagues do during sermons.

Try listening to Test Match Special during the cricket season, with headphones. Failing that, keep an eye on the time and after 15 minutes, draw the 'Open Pullpit Trapdoor' stop.

da bobby trap workd an i can no longa tipe.  also i cn only play eric thiman.  what wus dat gas dat sprayd in ma face wen i used da trmulnt?

OK - well, look on the bright side....

.... you could be stuck playing Caleb Simper for the rest of your life....

But perhaps I shall remove 'The History of Farting' from the console - I have read it and also memorised most of its sounds a long time ago.

Sorry - but these would not count.  Cricket umpires do none of these things.

See my post of 29 Jan 23h21 - I was referring to your comment regarding the improved sound systems as having largely done away with noisy and demonstrative preachers!

I have to confess that my knowledge of cricket is only slightly less comprehensive than my grasp of quantum physics....

:)