Mander Organ Builders Forum

Console Design For St. Peter's, Vatican

Guest Lee Blick

This photograph sums up the vulgarity of it all I think. 

http://www.davidhegarty.com/images/photos/041107-Harrah2.jpg

-Well possibly but I would be quite interested to learn how the photographic effect was obtained assuming it was obtained at the stage of recording the image rather than as a result of using photoshop or some other image editing program. The console appears to me -and perhaps I need to upgrade my spectacles - to have conventional drawstops, but perhaps they look conventional but operate in a similar fashion to the Compton luminous touch type console which once graced Hull City Hall and is still to be found at Downside. Simply drawing conventional drawstops in that D H pattern would not lead to the effect seen in the photograph without the intervention of additional lighting but I am at a loss to explain how you could light to produce that effect. Perhaps it is just simply photoshop and the "eye dropper" ? Anyone actually know how it could have been done.

Simply drawing conventional drawstops in that D H pattern would not lead to the effect seen in the photograph without the intervention of additional lighting but I am at a loss to explain how you could light to produce that effect.

Looks to me like they are illuminated drawstops, which I've seen on quite a few organs, usually toasters. I'm 99% certain that that is the case and that it's not Photoshopped.

Greetings,

Good grief, I didn't even notice the DH pattern thing. I'm affraid I don't have much interest in such things; I wonder how much of it will still be working and how much will have returned to its natural state in fifty years.

- Nathan, unapologetic tubular-pneumaticist and pipe-onlyist

Illuminated drawstops! OMG! Proof, if ever it were needed, of the brainless "size matters" mentality.

Greetings,

I have played an illuminated-drawknob console once; which was spudged onto a perfectly nice Kilgen instrument.... It was the most irritating experience I can imagine, totally distracting, and absolutely unnatural.

- Nathan - Neo-luddite of the pipe organ

I have illiminated drawstops and thumb/toe pistons on my organ at home.  I like them  :rolleyes:

Greetings,

I should qualify my rant about illuminated knobs with a reason. To me, a knob being illuminated or not doesn't seem to have the same effect of an actual drawknob pulled out or pushed in. When I was playing and looking to change registrations on-the-fly, I found myself looking at the lights and thinking "okay, now what do I do". I found the rocker tablets to be particularly annoying in this regard. There's just something obvious about seing a knob stick out in the corner of my eye that is more intuitive.

Best,

Nathan

There's just something obvious about seing a knob stick out in the corner of my eye that is more intuitive.
I totally agree. To my mind it's the obviousness that makes it intuitive. You just can't beat stop knobs that draw. Lights are never going to be as obvious as a physical protruberance (especially if the sun is shining on them!) and stop keys are always too close together - you loose nanoseconds making sure your aiming for the right one.

Lights are never going to be as obvious as a physical protruberance (especially if the sun is shining on them!) and stop keys are always too close together - you loose nanoseconds making sure your aiming for the right one.

========================

Ah! There is a hidden advantage to illuminated stops if you care to read something in the quieter moments.

If it's a bit gloomy, you press general piston 10....voila....floodlighting!

JUST DON'T DROP THE BOOK!!!!

:rolleyes:

MM

Guest Lee Blick
There's just something obvious about seing a knob stick out in the corner of my eye that is more intuitive.

Yes, there is that advantage, if you are into that sort of thing :rolleyes:

Whether it is drawstop traditional or light up drawstop, as long as it is drawstop and not boring stop tabs then that is fine with me.

Greetings,

Well, if we are going to go with illuminated drawknobs I think we should program them to make funny animations; plus program the solid state to provide a whac-a-mole-type game where you have to try and push the random illuminated knobs in as fast as possible.

Best,

Nathan

======================

:blink:

MM